Echo has a new CS-490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A MM'd 450 will outcut a 490/500.

My CS-450 was fantastic after a MM. I sold it only becaused I came across a deal on a 346xp NE. I'd buy the CS-450 again in a heartbeat. Great saw.

WSE is right about the 450 vs the 450P.

A MM'd 450 will outcut a 490/500. Even if the 490/500 is MM'd as well. Stock for stock though the 490/500 is gutsier because the muffler is not nearly as choked up as the 450. I personally like the feel of the 450 better as well which is why I own one personally. I have sold dozens of 450s and they have been bulletproof for my customers. My personal opinion is to stick with your old or a new 450. But that's just me. A lot of guys love their 500s. The only difference between the P and not P 450 models was the bar and chain. As far as I can tell all differences between the 490 and 500 are external. I do have my first 490 coming in on an order this afternoon. I will try to get some pics up for you guys!

That's right, the CS500p is down on power compared to the CS510 520 and 530 saws which just plain rip. Too much Shindaiwa in the CS500p. The CS450 cuts real good with a muff modd but the way lighter CS400 cuts just as good with the 3/8 6 tooth low pro chain . I would like to put the CS400 bar and chain on the CS450 but don't think they make a 6 tooth 3/8 sprocket for it. I did manage to get the CS400 B@C on a older CS4400 which just plain rips with it. Had to take down a CS400 sprocket some as it was a little too wide. . Steve

new rings and piston is about 25$ for the 450.

I'd think close to $50 for a piston kit OEM and I sure would put one in that CS450 even if you never worked on a saw. Echo saws are easy to work on plus a lot of help here and after you do one or 2 you will be proud of yourself . You need the I can do that attitude rather than I can't do that attitude . Steve

Our site sponsors that sell Echo parts have very competitive pricing on parts/saws and provide valuable insight and personal experience with saws that do not have the fan base of the more popular brands. I try to support them whenever possible. I find their prices to be under flea-bay in most cases.

I'd say this 450 I have now is what it is from the previous owner. I'd read here enough when I decided that's one of the saws I wanted to watch them, richened it up some when I got it, also looked into the muffler mod, and saw the scoring right after i got it. Still runs like a champ...but for how long I don't know.

Looking at the 400, they're only about 1/2# lighter than the 500/490, and 1# under the 450. For that cost in weight, I was thinking I'd stay with one of the larger saws, but seemed like the 500 might offer something more than the 450, but I found the 450 first. I may try a piston kit and MM and go from there, seems like the right thing to do to keep the same model I already have...must be some of dad in me...he has a whole pickup load of 011 stihls, and after I drug home my echo, he went on a eBay echo binge, and has 3-4 4600's...those seem like pretty good runners btw...

Our site sponsors that sell Echo parts have very competitive pricing on parts/saws and provide valuable insight and personal experience with saws that do not have the fan base of the more popular brands. I try to support them whenever possible. I find their prices to be under flea-bay in most cases.
Which sponsors have the echo parts? I've poked around a little, but how do I find that info?

if the 490 has the same muffler as the 500p take the deflector out and pull the tube out inside the muffler then it is a hollow can.
i know for a fact the cs500p isn't choked down like the 370,400,450.

Ok, I was just comparing the dry weight on the Echo site, assuming it was pho and that bar/chain weights would be similar, though expecting the 400 running the thinner bar would be a little less, but not much.

I guess if I'm going to do a new piston and rings, best to do that sooner rather than later? Before I trash the cylinder also?

my 450 had a cat in the muffler and was super stopped up.

i don't know if the 500-530s have cats or not??

Looks like a typical high quality Echo product. Should be a good seller. Highest quality 50cc non pro saw I would say.4901.jpg 4902.jpg 4903.jpg 4904.JPG

Latest posts

Back