Echo - Shindaiwa and Echo - Echo question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect the 492 is the same as the echo 490. The 501 has the better cylinder like the 4910. With that said, they all port up nicely. The ported 490/4910 is my favorite saw for the money in that weight class.

Attachments

• IMG_20221223_173023319_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221223_173023319_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221223_173028224_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221223_173028224_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20221223_145615254.jpg
    IMG_20221223_145615254.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Are the Echo CS-501P and the Shindaiwa 492 the same saw?
Is the Echo CS-501P better or a lot better saw than the Echo CS-590 timber wolf?

Thanks

https://www.echo-usa.com/chainsawshttps://www.shindaiwa-usa.com/Products/Chain-Saws/492.aspx
Shindaiwa and Echo share a lot of saws. The Echo cs400 is the same as the Shindaiwa 402s, I know that.

The 501 is a smaller, lesser saw than the 590(50cc class vs 60cc). The 590 is a well built saw but less refined than it’s professional cousin, the c 620p.

Are the Echo CS-501P and the Shindaiwa 492 the same saw?
Is the Echo CS-501P better or a lot better saw than the Echo CS-590 timber wolf?

Thanks

https://www.echo-usa.com/chainsawshttps://www.shindaiwa-usa.com/Products/Chain-Saws/492.aspx
Been a husky guy fir a long time but thinking of switching to echo. The local husky shop now is a echo dealer. They brag them up and say they have way less issues than the 500 series huskys. Would the 501 be similar to a 346xp or 550 in performance? Thinking of getting a 620 and a 501. And maybe a 590 Any thoughts on these? 5 yr warranty seems best in business

Been a husky guy fir a long time but thinking of switching to echo. The local husky shop now is a echo dealer. They brag them up and say they have way less issues than the 500 series huskys. Would the 501 be similar to a 346xp or 550 in performance? Thinking of getting a 620 and a 501. And maybe a 590 Any thoughts on these? 5 yr warranty seems best in business
I’m a Husqy 3 series guy and an Echo guy. The Echos are going to be slightly less “pleasing” to run at first, than the 5 series, but definitely less issues. Once you get used to them, you’ll come around. Just make sure they are tuned correctly, to last.

I’m a Husqy 3 series guy and an Echo guy. The Echos are going to be slightly less “pleasing” to run at first, than the 5 series, but definitely less issues. Once you get used to them, you’ll come around. Just make sure they are tuned correctly, to last.
Same here. 357xp and 359 and 346xp are whats on the bench. Just getting tired of constantly fixing something on one of them. Carbs and clutches or something it seems every night. The local chainsaw shop had me almost talked into a Echo or 3. Claims they are not getting dropped of with complaints and issues the way the 550 and 562s are. And far less money and the 5 yr warranty. It gets the gears turning

Why would you buy a 590 and a 620? I would definitely take the 501 over the 50cc husky’s you mentioned however both of those are loved by the husky guys.

The only Husqy I have left is my 395xp, and it’s fairly new. It’s been a good saw but I’ve had to modify it quite a bit to keep it going. Tearing them down, I feel like my Echos are built better and just last forever. Of course, I’ve had to modify the Echos in terms of stripping the cats in the muffler and then tuning them but that’s a one-and-done kinda deal.

But, not sure the “carbs and clutches” on the echos are going to be any “tougher”. Engine durability is the only place Echo has really shined over Stihl and Husqy, which at the end of the day, means a lot! However in every other matter, I think Echo might be in third place.

I agree, a 590 and a 620 might be a bit redundant. They are both 60cc saws. If you are really considering the Echos I’d get a 590 and a 7310.

I wouldn’t really describe any Echos that I’ve ran as the absolute best performance saw in the class (closest would be the 620 with long bars vs a 362) but I sure do think they’re built the best for the $$$. IME they’re also the easiest saws to work on generally, especially the 590/620 platform

I wouldn’t really describe any Echos that I’ve ran as the absolute best performance saw in the class (closest would be the 620 with long bars vs a 362) but I sure do think they’re built the best for the $$$. IME they’re also the easiest saws to work on generally, especially the 590/620 platform
Well that is good to hear since I am 2hrs from the saw shop which is why I have all 300 series huskys and lots of spare parts. Which means I would be doing a lot of the small stuff to the Echos as well, so hearing they are simple to work on is very good news. Now my reasoning for the 3 saws. The 501 with a 18 in bar for all the light and quick and snappy limbing, and just a light light saw to throw on and off the skidder. It would replace the 346 which is what it does. A 590 with a 20 in bar for a everyday use in any occasion type of thing. And a 620 or 680 with a 24in bar and full wrap handle for those occasions. All told it was to be around $1500.
3 new saws which "should" leave me headache free a little bit more. Have not had a new saw in about 10 years. Now you know my very little logic on this.

IMO for a very good 2 saw plan, the 501 and 7310 are the best options and will have all your bases covered. I don't really see the point in the 590 and 620 being used consecutively, my 590 serves as a backup to my 620. You're probably better off replacing the 620 or 680 idea with a 7310 for a bigger saw. Not much you can't do with a 50/60/70 combo

Well that is good to hear since I am 2hrs from the saw shop which is why I have all 300 series huskys and lots of spare parts. Which means I would be doing a lot of the small stuff to the Echos as well, so hearing they are simple to work on is very good news. Now my reasoning for the 3 saws. The 501 with a 18 in bar for all the light and quick and snappy limbing, and just a light light saw to throw on and off the skidder. It would replace the 346 which is what it does. A 590 with a 20 in bar for a everyday use in any occasion type of thing. And a 620 or 680 with a 24in bar and full wrap handle for those occasions. All told it was to be around $1500.
3 new saws which "should" leave me headache free a little bit more. Have not had a new saw in about 10 years. Now you know my very little logic on this.
I’m running a 680 often, mostly just hardwood removals with a 24” bar. It’s a heavy tank, but i can’t imagine a more durable saw, and I’ve run just about all the saws in and around the 70cc class of saws.

I’m running a 680 often, mostly just hardwood removals with a 24” bar. It’s a heavy tank, but i can’t imagine a more durable saw, and I’ve run just about all the saws in and around the 70cc class of saws.
All the info is appreciated. Last question that may completely make my mind up is where are they "made", which of course means where are they assembled? I looked online but it seemed to be Asian and North America. Does that mean in a plant in Mexico, or China? Both are deal breakers. I also read they are assembled outside Chicago. I hope that is true, not the China part. thanks for the input from alll parties.

All the info is appreciated. Last question that may completely make my mind up is where are they "made", which of course means where are they assembled? I looked online but it seemed to be Asian and North America. Does that mean in a plant in Mexico, or China? Both are deal breakers. I also read they are assembled outside Chicago. I hope that is true, not the China part. thanks for the input from alll parties.
All the Echo pro saws I've seen are made in Japan- 501p, 620p, 7310p. And I'm pretty sure the 590 is as well.

Both my 590 and 620 are made in Japan, I think the pro 4910 and bigger are made in Japan and the smaller saws are made in the US

The 680 is made in Japan. The others are either the same or made in Japan with “ assembled in USA” marked on the saw. Some saws are exclusively Japanese. Just depends.

Back