Echo's Newest Saws!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mountainlake

mountainlake

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
That is the false numbers I referred to earlier in this thread.

Problem is that they listed hp numbers as kW numbers, the true numbers are about 4.7 and 4.35hp, not kW.............:censored:

I don't think it is Echo themselves that do this, but someone who represent them in Australia.

And where did you come up with the true numbers, sound like something you pulled out of your hat. If my old beat up CS6700 is 4.35 hp then both of my 044 Stihl's are 4.56 hp based on how fast they cut. And what does Stihl rate them at? Steve

mountainlake

mountainlake

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Problem with the 290 etc isn't false hp numbers, it is just that the power-band isn't very effective compared to many other saws......

How much cutting is made at exactly peak hp rpm (or at peak torque rpms)?

...keeping the torque curve as flat as possible, specially at the top end, is the clue that they miss with those saws, I believe......

Guess thats what I like about Echo saws, big torque all through the powerband. You sure seem to know a lot about them for someone that hasn't run one. Steve

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
And where did you come up with the true numbers, sound like something you pulled out of your hat. ...

It is from numbers listed by Echo in the UK a few years ago.

The 6700 was listed at 3.23kW/4.4hp - and is the exemple I remember for sure. The others had a low power to cc rate as well.

I have it on a paper printout somewhere.......

Last edited:
mountainlake

mountainlake

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
It is from numbers listed by Echo in the UK a few years ago.

The 6700 was listed at 3.23kW/4.4hp - and is the exemple I remember for sure. The others had a low power to cc rate as well.

I have it on a paper printout somewhere.......

That could be but then my 044 Stihls are way over rated based on side by side cuts. Steve

belgian

belgian

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
fellas,
what we need is someone living in europe, who loves saws, is trustworthy enough not to run off with the cash, and who will ship us one.

sawtroll? scotsclayshooter?

:)

I checked the availability of the 1201 with the belgian echo distributor on behalf of another AS member a few weeks ago, and was informed that this saw does not have the EC label and cannot be sold in Europe.:(

Try Russia or Asia ....

mountainlake

mountainlake

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
The older 044s were rated at 3.8kW/5.2hp, and I don't believe they have the most effective power-band on earth....

Stihl's don't have the worst powerbands, Huskys win that one. I've tried cutting both ways, letting the saw rev high and loading the engine some, loading the engine seems to win as I can hear on the videos on this site, and thats where Echo saws really do good with a good sharp chain and the rakers at the right hieght or a liitle low. When I run my CS6700 and 044's (one of Stihl's best saws) side by side they both have sharp chain from the same roll. Steve

Last edited:
volks-man

volks-man

Arboristsite.com Spooner
I checked the availability of the 1201 with the belgian echo distributor on behalf of another AS member a few weeks ago, and was informed that this saw does not have the EC label and cannot be sold in Europe.:(

Try Russia or Asia ....

echo shows it being available in belgium and austria. i didn't look at other countrys. someone has to be able to get the thing!!!!!:)

more red tape to stop something so insignificant.:(

Cliff R

Cliff R

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Since I own, or have owned and used just about every saw in the current Echo line-up, here's my 2 cents worth.

The reed valve top handle saws, 300's, 301's, etc and WAY, WAY underpowered, and don't have much grunt to go with there poor power production. They run fine, and hack away at small limbs just fine, but they are not overly powerful in any rpm range. I could start on a 10" log with one, and have another cup of coffee and a donut before they'd get thru it!

The CS-360T is a completely different deal, PLENTY of power over a broad rpm range, grunts along fine, but really likes running WAY up in the rpm range. It's happiest right up near the rev limiter (apprx 14,500rpm's), and easily rivals the Husky and Stihl top handle offerings at less than half the price.

The CS-440 was OK, good upper mid-range power curve, well suited to a 16" bar, maxxed out with an 18" bar. Even though it's just a tad smaller than the CS-510, it's not nearly as powerful anyplace. I will say that we left this unit stone stock, and have mildly modded the 510's, but they still ran quite a bit better everyplace before we touched them.

The CS-510's are EXCELLENT. Broad power curves, run equally as well at every level compared to a Husky 55. The 55 only shines a bit more right up at the top of the rpm range, but doesn't have a power curve quite as smooth as the 510, or pull as well when it comes out of it's "sweet-spot" in the rpm range.

The CS-670 was somewhat of a disappointment to me. Decent power everyplace, but the Husqvarna 268XP killed it at every level. I sold that saw and have replaced it with a CS-6700, which we are going to modify and test with porting, muffler mods, less quench area, etc, to see if the power can be improved some?

The CS-800 was a big, heavy, grunt saw. Actually the most disappointing off all the Echo saws we obtained/tested. It did NOT use the automotive type spin on air filter, and had a goofy rubber plug to remove to access the mixture screws. It was simply OK with a 24" bar, but wouldn't even cut as well anyplace as our nearly 30 year old Husky 480CD. The 800 also comsumed a LOT of fuel. It reminded me of the old 038 we dumped on E-Bay a while back, make a couple dozen cuts and you were putting a quart of gas in it, and no "bling" while making the cuts, just a flat/boring power curve.

The little CS-370 is becoming one of my favorite little saws. I ported the intake elbow and muffler, it's quite a runner for 36cc. Not much of a high rpm saw, but excellent mid and upper mid-range characteristics, with PLENTY of grunt to go with it. I had it in the woodpile last night cross cutting big hunks of dry oak and beech, without a grumble with bar completely buried in them. Exactly the oppositie results I was anticipating. I figured the engineers would give the little saws sparkling top end power, for fast limbing capabilities, not broad power with plenty of grunt for larger cutting jobs.

In any case, I am still very partial to my Husqvarna saws, and seldom venture very far without my 262XP or 268XP. I still take the CS-510 to every outing, along with the 55 Husky, as they are plenty of saw for most of the tops we cut.

What I love most about our entire line of Echo power equipment, which includes 2 leaf blowers, garden tiller, string trimmer and several saws, DEAD SOLID reliability in every area. At most 3 pulls to start any of them, doesn't matter how long they sit. NEVER bought a single replacment part for any of them, tough as nails and well suited for any of the tasks they were built for.

IF I were starting out in a tree service business, I wouldn't hesitate for one second to include quite a few of the smaller Echo saws in my line-up, and take the money saved to pick up a couple of Husqvarna 372XP's or maybe even a larger Stihl saw or two.

Folks, I obtained our CS-360T on E-Bay new for $170, the CS-370 for $148, the CS-6700 used for $46 (needs P/C). My total investment in three dead solid reliable saws will be less than the cost of ONE Stihl 200T! The reality of the situation is that I have a nice line-up of saws at a very low investment. I started out just trying to find out if these units were as bad as many folks say they are? I'm finding out that Echo makes some excellent quality saws, they just may not "bling" quite as well as the lengendary stuff, and sparkle as much, but they sure do fine getting the work done!.......Cliff

Last edited:
Javelin

Javelin

Addicted to ArboristSite
Just got off the phone with the echo rep! He told me the 670 is gone and the 680 is available now! No word on when the 600 will be available in the states!

pgg

Addicted to ArboristSite
Why would anyone cutting professionally look past Stihl or Husqvarna?

NO SERIOUS PROFESSIONAL WOULD, RAW STOMPING HORSEPOWER AND CHAINSPEED IS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT, XP HUSKYS AND PRO-STIHLS DESTROY ECHOS FOR PERFORMANCE, ALL THERE IS TO IT :cool:

Bootsie

Bootsie

ArboristSite Operative
That is like saying why would anyone look past GM or Ford for a pick-up. Shindaiwa, Efco, Solo, Tanaka, Echo, Dolmar, all make great products from what I have read. Before I buy anything I research it to death. It would seem that as long as you stay away from Wal-Mart saws you are pretty safe. No matter what you buy, or own you will always find someone who ended up with a lemon. I had a Honda that was a lemon. I was shocked because my first one was bullet proof I could not kill the damned thing. It is the unfortunate reality of mass production. Shat happens.

Last edited: