estimating

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I can't handle the job because of, too much wood, or I have too much work, not enough man power, or I don't have a bucket truck.Then I give the HO the best advice that I can give them, even if I don't get the work. They will remember that free advice and will pass alone your name in the future.
Asking all the right questions on the initial contact is crucial. What kind of tree, location, wires, sheds, fences, access, is there room for a bucket, does the wood go?
I'll almost always set aside an afternoon or 2 or on a rain days to do estimates.
People understand that you are busy and they must be patient, if not its not worth your time.
Good Luck

Eugene...

Treeclimber, how do you present your estimates/quotes to the clients? Are you traveling with contracts? What is your client base like? How do people get your number? Its a bunch of questions but the answers may reveal the problems.

I just skimmed the thread, so I apologize for any repititions.

First, since I do not like asking how many bids they are taking, I will ask where they found my company and then ask if they are looking for the lowest bid, or the best company for their needs. This is the start of selling yourself, not the process.

Second, I will usually ask if I can meet with them to discuss the their needs and those of their property. I have a higher closing rate with face to face meetings then when I just leave a bid, and I can usually sell more work then they intended.

Lastly, I write my proposals with more description then "trim tree in N/W corner off lot." Use at least the genus of what you are working, and preferably the species. The give a brief what and why as to the work proposed.

(1) thin white ash by deck for roof clearance using cuts of less then 1 inch in diameter. prune crown for better long term structure and health while providing more light to patio area. Include 3 Japanese yew, reducing to give more room to patio and begin the process of reshaping".

(2) Begin management program of bur oaks in center of back yard by reducing low limbs competing with upper canopy and allowing for future removal of said limbs when it will be less stressful for the trees.

I Will Not Help A Hack!!!

some companys have ran a tree butchering biz for many many years with only one interest [MONEY] why the hell should any arborist give there secrets and strategy's to stupid hacks who just dont care about what they are doing to trees. this dude wants a handout on how to sell his cutting of trees. imo this work needs to be earned not handed over. I WONT GIVE NOTHING TO FOLK LIKE THAT, IMO THEY SHOULD NOT EVEN BE ALLOWED TO WORK ON TREES PERIOD!!! :notrolls2::notrolls2::notrolls2::notrolls2:

i am not an arborist.

i do recommend them often though.Connecticut requires an arborist license to do trimming and treatment.i refer folks to arborists for assessments,trimming,shaping,and cabling.

so just because i do tree work but am not an arborist,doesn't make me a hack.i know a few licensed arborists around here i wouldn't hire to prune a dwarf holly.

When giving an estimate, people are often times looking to compare apples to apples. "Take down that tree" or "trim that tree to make it look right" is often what I hear and that just tells me they are looking for THE price for what they ask. I often take over the job, tweaking it to what I would suggest and change the job to what I will do for the owner to make them happy. For instance, guy calls and on site he says, "Gimme a price to take that tree down". If the tree is healthy, I ask why its coming down. Then maybe suggest ways to prune the tree and take out a different tree, one thats maybe hindering the growth of the one he wanted out. Then I throw out flush cut or ground down which usually throws thems for a loop. Keep the wood in log lengths for firewood on site? Keep the wood chips on site for garden use? All of these things make the owner see that you're willing to work with them instead of for them. I haven't had too many bids turned away. Only one I can remember is when I underbid a job and the owner went with a higher priced firm.

Still can't figure that one out.:monkey::dizzy:

Good luck :cheers:

Treeclimber, how do you present your estimates/quotes to the clients? Are you traveling with contracts? What is your client base like? How do people get your number? Its a bunch of questions but the answers may reveal the problems.
:agree2:

Me or him?

For me it depends on the company I'm estimating for on both questions. Some I bid lower then others, for my own work I bid very high and close around 10-15%.

My best was when i worked for the local ChemLawn branch and went between 35 and 50%. They were a different story, most of my bids were for current clients where a lawn or T&O tech had recommended pruning. So there was a better lead source then a small company would ever get.

Treeclimber101 Taking off from a job is not a good thing for you and getting the job 1 you look desperate 2 your paying job is not getting done. I am reading a book called "The Rules of Work" and book help raise your confidence level and get you on track. Also when you are going to price a job dress nice and smell good. Nobody want a piece of garbage on their property. Dressing nice will present you as professial and help with getting the business. Also maybe suggest that you have references of past customers in the area, or you state that you have done work for a neighbour down the road. Keep your chin up and fight for what is yours!

Dress nice, but occupationally appropriate.

As for dropping the price, when asked if i can come down on a price will ask what part of the job they want to take over; just get it on the ground, leave the logs, cut firewood length, no fine raking, no coarse raking, how much lawn damage???

There are many ways to get it done within a budget, though some will need a crew of 10 migrant workers to hand carry firewood ans small branches out from the back yard to the front.

Everyone works in different environments, what works for some wont work for others

Quotes cost fuel and time. I lessen both by using a motorcycle or sometimes my wifes scooter to do quotes, might not work for everyone but I only get positive feedback about using a vehicle that uses less gas, effortlessly finds parks and gets through heavy traffic like a ginsu knife.

My company consists of me, my climbing partner and black lab. I do my quotes at the end of the day and on weekends, takes me between 5 and 15 hours a week. I do it wearing my chainsaw pants, work boots, and fluro work T shirt (and bike jacket). They can see and talk to whose going to be doing the job, and that does make the difference in alot of my quotes.

Im lucky to be in a good area, I try to avoid having to travel far and work hard at getting local jobs as they cost you less in time, fuel and general cost. Last week I used 30L of chainsaw fuel and about 5L of diesel for the truck! (a total rarity as it would normally be the other way around but it was a couple days on the 88's just up the road a bit).

Times are tough and going to get tougher

Last edited:
get in give your #s and move out if they tell you they are getting more quotes ask from whom tell them you cant match a landscraper with lower overhead and remind them you want the job but ur in biz to make money. a homeowner with a removal is not a municipality with a bid process and opening, so try to relax but your best foot forward and tell them you offer quality. me and some of my collegues will usually just tell them to go with the quotes that they have and spare each other the aggravation. plus we know our #s and if its a irresponsible # its from a hack and we wish them luck

some companys have ran a tree butchering biz for many many years with only one interest [MONEY] why the hell should any arborist give there secrets and strategy's to stupid hacks who just dont care about what they are doing to trees. this dude wants a handout on how to sell his cutting of trees. imo this work needs to be earned not handed over. I WONT GIVE NOTHING TO FOLK LIKE THAT, IMO THEY SHOULD NOT EVEN BE ALLOWED TO WORK ON TREES PERIOD!!! :notrolls2::notrolls2::notrolls2::notrolls2:
thank you for taking the time to reply , it was both extremely helpful and informative. iy is really something how someone of your expertise and education will still take the time to educate people who have very little experience your friend treeclimber ps i have a iroc too:greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw:

thank you everyone for the help, i never once thought of stealing what you offered for my own benifit i only wanted some fresh ideas . often someone elses prospective gives you a fresh outlook on the way you do things. i will answer all of the previous questions tonight i'm off too top a two hundred year old beech tree lol ha ha :spam::buttkick:

Last edited:
thank you everyone for the help, i never once thought of stealing what you offered for my own benefit i only wanted some fresh ideas .

For my part, I have learned quite a bit from other people over the years, both here and on other sites. I am more then willing to share what i know with people in other locations. I feel that if i can get people to stop and think a little, about the whys and wherefores of what we do, then I'll improve the industry by a wee bit every time. Heck, we got Clearance to admit that gaffing a trim is not good for the tree ;), and Nels is climbing on and advanced rig...

:computer: When I hear they're just looking to get estimates..I don't get in a hurry to go out of my way.

And when they ask if I'm cheap, I take that as an insult and again don't get in a hurry.

About a year ago I had a black gal ask me on the phone about 5 times if I was cheap.

I kept telling her I was fair and good at what I do. But all she kept asking me was...yeah but are you cheap?

I laughed and told her I think you have the wrong number, then hung up...Now that felt good. :laugh:

Can't pay bills with estimates. :agree2:

Last edited:
:computer: When I hear they're just looking to get estimates..I don't get in a hurry to go out of my way.

And when they ask if I'm cheap, I take that as an insult and again don't get in a hurry.

About a year ago I had a black gal ask me on the phone about 5 times if I was cheap.

I kept telling her I was fair and good at what I do. But all she kept asking me was...yeah but are you cheap?

I laughed and told her I think you have the wrong number, then hung up...Now that felt good. :laugh:

Can't pay bills with estimates. :agree2:
i agree completely, but i have gotten called to look at something and thought that the est. would be a hr. of lost time and have walked with a 4000 jod sold . then i have been called to look at something that sounds like a slam dunk and walked with nothing . you never know so i treat every call with the same respect. my first job was when i was 12 yrs for a third gen. farmer/nursery/tree service and the owner no matter how busy he was went to every est. personally seven days week, whatever time of day . he was extremely sucessful and was one hell of a salesman. he always told me that once the phone rings if you want it go get it.

I agree treat every call like it's the most important. Many times Iv'e gone to jobs like yesterdays. (Needed a few trees removed around the pool. And it ends up being a weeks worth of work). when I go to an estimate now I wear work boots, clean jeans or khakis, button down shirt etc and shower etc. Showing up in sneakers or dress shoes is a dumb idea. But dress neat. Good luck..... Mike

Last edited:
Back