Eucalyptus Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spraggins98

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a huge Eucalyptus tree next to my house. I am concerned that it will cause damage to my foundation or my roof. I am attaching pictures of it and how close it is to my house. Any input?

Eucalyptus

That is what I was afraid of. Is there any chance of taking a part of it and growing it in another part of my yard?

LOL

That's great, who left it there or planted it there should be entered for a nobel prize! lol

Could be Eucalyptus cinerea but dont hold me to it coz it's dark! I need to see the leaf and perhaps a cap. If it is it's pretty close to full grown.

As far as the tree being unsafe for limb breakage etc ... nope, that'll be OK.

Here's a link, have a read and look at the pics, make sure it's a match.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/51537/index.html

Ekka the species ID is important because if it is near its mature size the pressure on the foundation will not be great. From what's been shown and said I don't see a problem with it.

Than again if a leaf falls into a neighbor's yard, by Aussie law it's due to be whacked, right? :deadhorse:

Eucalyptus

Here are a few pictures of the tree. I took several angles to give you an idea of the size. I also took a few of the leaves. I hope this helps you all. Thanks.

This has pics of the caps, try to get a match or we keep looking.

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?...?q=Eucalyptus+cinerea&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&sa=G

There are a number that look similar so ID'ing of caps is the best way on eucs.

You may want to check your gutters and make sure they're not rusting/corroding out. Also if you live on clay you have a higher risk of cracking as that tree sucks the moisture out.

Yep, I'd be settling with that.

So the tree is pretty mature then, say 75%+ of the size it's going to be. I think the only worries you have is from falling leaves etc in your gutter and if you are on a clay base then subsidence from the moisture being sucked out.

What sort of soil are you on?

the soil is GA red clay. There is a thin layer of dirt on top, but if you dig about three inches down, you hit clay. It is lots of fun when planting! Thanks for all of your help everyone.

It will grow bigger but wont be an issue for at least4-6years IMO,i have one in my yard.

Jason, can you get a pic of yours and also close up of the leaves and caps thanks.

There's some other varieties very similar, just wanna be 100% sure. We rarely have these up here, they're more suited to temperate to mediteranian style weather like where you are and he is.

The ones I've dealt with up here were sort of spindly weedy looking things, just junk!

Mines only juvenile2.5 yrs crappy pics not much light,hasnt got fruit yet or stringy bark,they grow up to 40'+here ive noticed the local council are removing them from carparks etc.

Not the best eucy going but they look ok.

2nd pic nothing to do with this its me cats scrathing pole,a messmate.

Back