FAD: Firewood Acquiring Disorder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know on the chainsaw side of this site they talk about CAD. I know I have that, but funds are tight right now. But never figure to get FAD. QUOTE]

I'm sure glad this has never happened to me-----

attachment.php

Actually, since this picture was taken I have a new (only got to use twice) Dolmar 5100S and a brand spankin' new ported Univent / Husqvarna 372XPW that I'm going to dance with as soon as the snow and mud dry up where I cut. Like I said, I'm sure glad cad and fad have never come knockin' at my door. HAH!!

Last edited:
I've been driving the same route up and down I-39 in WI for the last couple of years.

There was a big blowdown last summer and there are TONS of down oak and poplar trees - totally ready for blocking and hauling.

The problem... all of the trees are on the right-of-way side of the fence. I wouldn't know where to begin asking about cleaning up the wood. Wisconsin bureaucracy would make this a five+ year process.

Do any of you have finds that look really easy pickings but the red tape headache make it not worth it?

YES to FAD

Ain't it the truth, I used to worry about the large trees around the back side of the farm. It is a steep hillside and during very wet weather with heavy winds my wife and I could not sleep, listening for the timber to hit the ground. Now after a strong storm it's a bit like Christmas....Did that big locust fall???

Good greif we all need a life eh?

Yes I look at trees while driving down the road,

I was starting to feel like Chester the tree molester or something, glad I have company at least.

anytime im in a car im looking for dead trees. i occasionally point one out to the wife but she dosent even say anything anymore. sometimes shell be like wow in a monotone voice lol. but she likes the stove come winter time thats for sure! plus the money it saves me lets me get away with buying more chainsaws :)

I also have the same problem, sometimes I even drift out of the lane because Im staring so intently into the woods as I drive. When I work on the ambulance, I have my partner drive so that I can stare without interruption. Mt wife was confused at first but now when I point wood out she just ignores it or occasionally pretends to be excited.

Good greif we all need a life eh?

Yes I look at trees while driving down the road,

I was starting to feel like Chester the tree molester or something, glad I have company at least.

I hear Larry Flint ain't making as much through his empire of skin mags. I wonder if he'll look to diversify by starting up a niche publication for all us woodscrounges, woodboogahs, and gatherers. He could title it something like "Crotches & Butts."

Just imagine the centerfolds!

I got it too. It's also caused a disorder for my day job - I spend too much time on this site! Plus I save pictures of woodsheds, stacked wood, atv set-ups, etc. from here. I call it my wood p@rn:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Is driving back and forth to your desk job in a truck that is less than fuel efficient with a chainsaw, ropes, chains and a firewood tool bag (contains PPE, scrench, extra chains, wedges etc.) a symptom of FAD? I'm just asking because I have a friend that I think may have it.

I think it's infectious because my friends wife will occasionally call him at work to let him know about some wood someone is cutting or has already stacked at the curb.

I'm really worried about my friend and his family. They used to talk about politics and culture and now the conversation always winds up being about aquiring, cutting or burning wood. I've even caught him using company time to post to a forum that - you're not going to believe this - is dedicated to firewood.

I hope I don't catch it.

Is driving back and forth to your desk job in a truck that is less than fuel efficient with a chainsaw, ropes, chains and a firewood tool bag (contains PPE, scrench, extra chains, wedges etc.) a symptom of FAD? I'm just asking because I have a friend that I think may have it.

I think it's infectious because my friends wife will occasionally call him at work to let him know about some wood someone is cutting or has already stacked at the curb.

I'm really worried about my friend and his family. They used to talk about politics and culture and now the conversation always winds up being about aquiring, cutting or burning wood. I've even caught him using company time to post to a forum that - you're not going to believe this - is dedicated to firewood.

I hope I don't catch it.

Sounds like you, I mean "your friend" has FAD. I knew I had it when I started bringing a small saw with me every where I go.

I must have aquired it this fall

I have always been a wood scrounger...but this last fall my wife said " she thinks I like splitting and stacking wood more than her!" WOW I did not know how to respond. SOme things are left better unsaid!

My wife calls me crazy and thinks I spend way to much time "doing firewood". She says I have a firewood fetish.

I've been eyeing some dead standing for awhile. One big Oak finally fell. It was on water district land initially, but fell onto their fence and onto the highway's easement. It sat there for weeks while I slowed down every single day to stare and drool at it.

One day I couldn't take any more of it, so grabbed the saw and truck and started poaching. Two trips and a good cord worth. I was praying I wouldn't get caught, as I really didn't know the rules as to whose it was. I told God I'd give it to my neighbor if He kept me out of trouble. While sawing away, a truck stopped in front of me. :censored: A friend stopped and said "I hope you got a permit for that, 'cause they'll arrest you a**!" I called it quits, leaving more than 2/3 of it behind.

That was the most perfectly dry, light, and wonderfully solid Oak I have ever seen, and I don't think my neighbor even heard me say God was responsible for it when I dropped off two truckloads of split wood in his driveway. He looked this this.:jawdrop: It was great.

I still drive by that wonderful tree every single day and drool and may someday try to find out about properly acquiring it.

CAD I can't afford, but this FAD I can understand and relate to. I haven't had much time lately to fuel my FAD, I've been busy trying to put food on the table. But I'm working on it. My wife does let me know when she hears about downed trees. She likes that the wood heat helps cut the electrical bill and that when I have enough wood, I can try and sell it. Now buying more saws...that's a different story. :)

Kevin

Back