FAD: Firewood Acquiring Disorder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuralCruiser007

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I know that when I am out driving I am constantly on the lookout for dead standing or dead on the ground wood. I think I have finally gone over the deep end with acquiring firewood. :dizzy:

Last night I was watching a TV show and in one scene they showed a park in the city and all I could focus on was the huge dead standing tree in the background. It really jumped out at me! The rest of the trees had their leaves, but this one had no leaves or bark. Looking at it I instantly figured it to be about 1.5 cords and looked like oak, using the other trees as reference. :clap:

The goofy weather we have been having, it has been in the 50's for the last week and causing a winter thaw. I have not been able to go out and cut like I want to. Hopefully the weather gets and stays below freezing for a while cause I think my only cure right now is to cut and bring in two or three cords to split. The other problem I am having with my firewood acquiring is my quad died, but I got good word that the parts are being shipped today.:clap: So next week I can get it going and get some wood.

I know on the chainsaw side of this site they talk about CAD. I know I have that, but funds are tight right now. But never figure to get FAD.

Don't mean to be to much of a nut. I am enjoying more and more of the great outdoors due to the fun of heating with wood in the winter.

Glenn

Last edited:
I like it!

FAD... very nice! I know I've got it. I certainly look at trees and forests different now with an OWB- always on the lookout for the blown down oak.

Here's a picture of my current wood shed- I've got a couple of large piles outside waiting to be split and stacked since they're pretty green (I have another shed behind this one). Gotta fill'em up. :)

Me too...I have asked property owners if I could cut a tree down on there property and they look at me like, what tree...Then the next time I see the they say I didn't even know it was dead, it yours as long as you clean up the mess...No problem....

I have it also.
This is just a small portion of my wood stash:
IMG_2444.jpg

Just stacked this in the woods last week:
IMG_2517.jpg

Split this pignut hickory this morning: That 346 is the best firewood partner ever. Just wish I could teach it to cut by itself without me, like it's bigger brother the 372.
IMG_2496.jpg

I'm getting to the point that EVERYONE is telling me to shut up about a dead tree instead of just the wife. :chainsaw:

I'm guilty as charged....DWDW, which leads to FAD! I'm guilty of CAD too. You know your addicted when you would rather get firewood than work your regular job. :chainsaw:

I think most of us here suffer from it. I know I get almost physical pains when I hear about people having trees cut down and than hauled off to the landfill. Why didn't anyone contact me? Case in point. Today a local golf course cut down 14 ash trees, between 10-20dbh, they currently are laying around to rot as they have a policy of not allowing the wood to be taken by the public. What a waste!
My two daughters(2 and 4) now point out downed or dead trees that they think I should grab my saw and cut down.

i think i have it too i pass by this huge oak every morning it is so big the road is built around it. look at it every day and think die tree die

Yep....know the feeling!

Yep....know the feeling! When I was driving up to N MN I was looking at the trees......knowing full well that I was way to far away to make it pratical to take any of them.

I'll be knowing everyone in the county very soon! The ones with dead trees anyways. :popcorn:

I've lost 15 lbs since I've started cutting wood about 1.5 months ago.

I just sharpened my tools, I just ordered a bar and 2 chains for my 49sp and a b/c for the Pouland 12" for the smaller stuff. That thing had a 18" on it.... it should do better with the 12 w/o safety.

Dan

I'm guilty as charged....DWDW, which leads to FAD! I'm guilty of CAD too. You know your addicted when you would rather get firewood than work your regular job. :chainsaw:
\
I have to say that I too have sat in my current training room glancing out the window scoping out the dead trees. Facilities guy says I can come get them. I just have to find the time...

Chainsaw Therapy is a wonderful vice... all the dedication only leads to a bigger wood pile and a warmer house.. :buttkick:

I too am driving home different ways and constantly looking to see what type of trees are where. It's really frustrating here, because 3 yrs ago we had really bad ice storms and tornados. I have fallen timber left and right here. If I only had the equipment, time, and knowledge of who owns what here!!! It makes me weep just looking at all the trees fallen and just going to rot!!!!!

Oh great! Another addiction I suffer from has been identified. My CAD is almost as bad as my FAD! Maybe its the other way around. :dizzy: Oh well...

When chainsaws, or someone cutting firewood comes on TV my 10 yr old daughter says "Dad control yourself!". I am always sitting there with big eyes trying to identify the wood, or saw.

Nice to know I am with a crew as sick as I am. :greenchainsaw:

We are a strange bunch for sure!:chainsaw:
Last weekend I was out cruising the backroads looking for deadfall and I found a spot about 200ft square that was all mature red oaks long dead of oak wilt, probably 20 full cord. I had to get out of the truck and go stand in the middle of them, all the while thinking "this can't be real, this is too good to be true". I'm building sides for my 20ft skidsteer trailer so I can haul as much home as my truck can bear.:cheers:

A friend made a comment to me this week and it was then I realized I suffer from FAD.

"That's a heck of a wood pile ya got over there. What are you doing, protecting yourself from the new presidency by building a fort of firewood around your house? That's not really a bad idea".

I got a good laugh out of that statement....the feller said my wood pile comes up randomly in many conversations.:D

Back