FAD: Firewood Acquiring Disorder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy, I thought I had a lot of wood.

Ok. Class dismissed.

Looks like you and your descendants are ready for the second coming of Y2K. Which, by my count, is about 990 years away.

My father and I heat totally with wood. Between the 2 of us we use a little over 20 cord a year so it's about 8 years worth. I cleaned out a 3/4 mile fencerow last year and Ike took loads of old growth wood down this year and that's one of the reasons for the build up. Went a lot of years scrounging and learned to get it when it's there. We don't cut in the snow and it slows you down too much and more apt to get hurt plus the ice factor on chains. That's why we start in early December when we normally don't have that much chance of it.

I think it's perfectly normal to "recycle" natures heat supply ;) Here's some pics of one of the sheds. It measures 86' X 24' and stack measures 80' X 18' X7'. That works out to a little over 78 cord. Have a total of 166 cord under roof and that doesn't include this years burn supply for 2 homes. There are worse things to be addicted to!

166 cord...that's awesome! Good job! That's a lot of hard work. Be proud. :clap:

Kevin

WOW, i have 2 helpers all of us below 40 and we only cut about 20 if we're lucky. gr8 work, keep it up.:cheers:

Even if you got $150.00 a cord on that amount that would be $25,000 and if you split the money between workers that would be a hard year. That's why I say what we have really isn't that much compared to what I KNOW some guys on here do when they do it for a living. I wouldn't want to do it for a living and MY hat is off to those guys. ;)

Back