Fall 2017 firewood season progression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrider

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
IMG_2848.JPG IMG_2849.JPG IMG_2850.JPG IMG_2851.JPG My phone and Facebook are still blowing up with people looking for more wood to burn now. Sorry but I'm working on wood for next season is my response. Off to an ok start. Split pile is about 30' long at the moment. Probably have about 80 cords of wood here on the property.

Same here. I have a teeny tiny bit that's good to go now, but I am ahead (for once) on orders for this fall. In fact, I am working on a straight oak run for 2018. High dollar stuff. Ha-ha.

Same here. I have a teeny tiny bit that's good to go now, but I am ahead (for once) on orders for this fall. In fact, I am working on a straight oak run for 2018. High dollar stuff. Ha-ha.
What do you get for straight oak?

Around here there are CL jokers selling "cords" of oak for $130. Actually a face cord and seething wet.

I'm going to advertise it for $200. I get $150 a true cord of mixed stuff. Some of it can go this year, but most of it is pretty wet. It's getting stored out in full sun in the open of a field, split.

Looks like you are getting an earlier start than last year? Are you thinking you're going to try and sell more?

Looks like you are getting an earlier start than last year? Are you thinking you're going to try and sell more?
I'm right around the same point this year as I was last. I've been wanting to hit 150 cords for the last 2 years but haven't been able to make it. Who knows, it takes a lot of time and dedication plus some cooperating weather. I know I would have no problem moving it though as I could move 2-3 times the amount I can process.

Raise your asking price for your wood. Demand will drop to a manageable level and profit will go up. Less wear and tear on you and I bet more money in ya pocket at the end of the day. Ofcourse you should not sky rocket your prices but raise by lets say 15-20%.
Try it and all the price runners will divert in the fall and on this time of year you will have lots of prime seaSoned firewood for all the office creeps. "Yes my Dear I'll be there in 15mins!!!".
If this does not work out you will have just enough in stock to meet next years demand.

May your Gods be with you.

Motorsen

How's the back feeling? Didn't you have issues last summer?
Yes, my back was all sorts of messed up most of last summer but I got a cortisone injection in August and knock on wood, it's been normal since.

I know my wood use this year has been way down. I may of used about a 1/3 of the wood I normally burn. At this rate, my 2year old wood might become 3year old before I burn it. Lots of folks selling wood on facebook, but not many people looking to buy. Prices seem to be coming down as well. I have seen $50 pickup loads lately and I havent seen those prices in years. People plowing gardens and a few more days of warm weather and I will have to start mowing my grass.

I know my wood use this year has been way down. I may of used about a 1/3 of the wood I normally burn. At this rate, my 2year old wood might become 3year old before I burn it. Lots of folks selling wood on facebook, but not many people looking to buy. Prices seem to be coming down as well. I have seen $50 pickup loads lately and I havent seen those prices in years. People plowing gardens and a few more days of warm weather and I will have to start mowing my grass.
We had a warm winter last year and it hasn't exactly been cold around here this year either but it hasn't impacted my firewood sales. We have a lot of weekend and fireplace burners and even though my moms farm is located in the woods, we have a fairly large population within a 20 minute drive and many of those people have plenty of disposable income.

IMG_0019.JPG IMG_0036.JPG
Im ahead of schedule from where I was last year. We have probably 20 cord split already for next year. Just finished up last years logs except for a few that are still frozen to the ground and can't get up. That pile in the picture is next. That was three loads approximately 30 cord, 12 of it is all oak, the rest a mix. Have a month in a half to keep splitting before we switch over to storage sheds for the year. We are getting 140 a face cord for oak and 385 a full cord. 120 for a face cord of mixed and 320 for a full cord of mixed.

Back