Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't fall much dead stuff, but they are scattered through the bush everywhere & ive had a few close calls with the tops falling out of them from just being brushed with other trees, or being bumped with a machine, I had one come down on the canopy of my dozer after I bumped the tree with the blade, I was brushing termites off the seat for hours. I fell a dozen long dead grey gum for a neighbor 6 weeks ago & the top of every one of them was in 3 or 4 pieces before they gone through 30 degrees of the fall & that was just slicing through thin air, they are really fragile. Years ago I was looking at 3120 a Faller was selling because he was finished in the game, a dead limb hit him halfway between his neck & shoulder joint, his arm was permanently paralysed & in a sling because of the nerve was so badly damaged from all the shattered bones with the impact.
On old hotsaws, the backcut was facing the road, if something went wrong & it went the wrong way then it would have gone down across the road, the traffic should have been stopped for a couple of minutes while he dropped it, nobody needs some idiot like that lurking in the bush while your going about your business.
Trinkski
The backcut would be the safest facing the road I would think. Much less chance of a tree going over the back then sideways. I've cut MANY trees along roads without anyone stopping traffic. Makes me question how many trees you actually cut sir. I'm guessing you've never worked in a production situation.

The backcut would be the safest facing the road I would think. Much less chance of a tree going over the back then sideways. I've cut MANY trees along roads without anyone stopping traffic. Makes me question how many trees you actually cut sir. I'm guessing you've never worked in a production situation.
Only time I've had traffic flagged on private ground is heavy back leaners, suppose to have traffic flagged here though once a saw is fired up, on Weyerhaeuser we have to flag with in 2 tree lengths no matter if it's hand or mechanically cut.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

only flag if their particullarly sketchy or if i intend to cross the road
That's one bonus to being on company ground, I wish the utility companies and phone would go to all underground lines that'd take care of that issue.

i hate above ground utilities. this pic shows the road that runs down the middle of my property for 2km, the power company uses it to run service from the main road to 3 camps on the back ems of my property you can see the lines i am always talking about in the riggt side of the pic. makes working along the road till i get my tractor running difficult. thankfully the only that can use the road is me or the power company when they are doing inspextions or maintence so i dont need to worry about traffic. still a pain in the behind trying to make sure to avoid the lines when i cut

Attachments

• IMG_20160817_194851.jpg
    IMG_20160817_194851.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 38
i hate above ground utilities. this pic shows the road that runs down the middle of my property for 2km, the power company uses it to run service from the main road to 3 camps on the back ems of my property you can see the lines i am always talking about in the riggt side of the pic. makes working along the road till i get my tractor running difficult. thankfully the only that can use the road is me or the power company when they are doing inspextions or maintence so i dont need to worry about traffic. still a pain in the behind trying to make sure to avoid the lines when i cut
We got lucky on one of our pieces the utility company put everything underground but forgot to figure in rain so during heavy rains the ditch washes out and the pipe with the wires turns into old faith full.

If the tree has a chance of reaching the road or highway in any direction then it's just common sense to protect anybody on that highway or road, unless the redneck kamikaze falling methods are all you know, which have no regard for personal safety let alone public safety and you guessed wrong as well.
Putinski

Initial capital costs: Underground electrical distribution lines $$$$ Overhead distribution lines $.

Ron
Out here they've been taking them from overhead to underground I think the repairs have been less especially with all the timber out here.

Of course we don't have the extreme weather that you do, but to my knowledge the experience here with underground has been excellent with the exception of an older major subdivision that had a bad neutral. Dual conduits are now required; makes line replacement a lot easier and less expensive. Here underground is essentially limited to new subdivisions and core downtown. I believe a recent quote to convert two or three blocks downtown was around $2mm. Of course putting low voltage lines in a subdivision is a whole lot cheaper, but still considerably more than overhead. I believe our long line through the forest carries some pretty good voltage to service micro wave and radio tower installations. Very few of our other lines go through extensive wooded areas. Nonetheless I pester our GM about underground every time the tree trimming budget comes around as it seems to go up every year and is now around $1.2mm. Ron

Of course we don't have the extreme weather that you do, but to my knowledge the experience here with underground has been excellent with the exception of an older major subdivision that had a bad neutral. Dual conduits are now required; makes line replacement a lot easier and less expensive. Here underground is essentially limited to new subdivisions and core downtown. I believe a recent quote to convert two or three blocks downtown was around $2mm. Of course putting low voltage lines in a subdivision is a whole lot cheaper, but still considerably more than overhead. I believe our long line through the forest carries some pretty good voltage to service micro wave and radio tower installations. Very few of our other lines go through extensive wooded areas. Nonetheless I pester our GM about underground every time the tree trimming budget comes around as it seems to go up every year and is now around $1.2mm. Ron
So if it here is there's enough timber companies and land owners forcing the utilities to do they aren't getting a choice especially when they aren't keeping the tension up then the lines sag and get caught on a lowboy and they are liable.

Our GM runs a tight ship. Literally and figuratively. So far all the snags that I have been involved, the lines have been within the NEC guidelines. A few years ago, we did have a fire from a sagging cross-country line during an extreme load and a very hot day, but I believe it was our supplier's transmission line. In any event, it was in or near that class of high voltage. Ron

you guessed wrong as well.
Putinski
Then why does it seem like you have a remedial knowledge of falling timber at best? If I was having a conversation face to face and they kept giving me answers and producing statements like you do, I'd start thinking -" this guy is a step above firewood cutting". Kind of like when guys call me looking for a job falling timber. One of my first questions is, "what is your saw experience?" If the answer is I used to cut a lot of firewood then I'd ask "how much per year you think?" Usually its around 10 cords per year. Then I'm thinking I know where this is going.

Then why does it seem like you have a remedial knowledge of falling timber at best? If I was having a conversation face to face and they kept giving me answers and producing statements like you do, I'd start thinking -" this guy is a step above firewood cutting". Kind of like when guys call me looking for a job falling timber. One of my first questions is, "what is your saw experience?" If the answer is I used to cut a lot of firewood then I'd ask "how much per year you think?" Usually its around 10 cords per year. Then I'm thinking I know where this is going.
10 cords now if my math is right is about 2 truck loads of logs here, which wouldn't even get green status that'd be closer to being a back faller.

It a pity you don't live a little closer, I could take wads of money or assets off you in a friendly wager, for the self proclaimed King of the hill you don't have much worldly experience in the game and seem quite reckless in some common sense activities, which equates to self taught. Don't worry I know a lot of blokes like that who are one man bands & always will be, they can't work for other people or companies because they can't follow basic rules & regulations. Their world is getting narrower as time goes along because they are getting shutdown for their indiscretions.
Duckinski

It a pity you don't live a little closer, I could take wads of money or assets off you in a friendly wager, for the self proclaimed King of the hill you don't have much worldly experience in the game and seem quite reckless in some common sense activities, which equates to self taught. Don't worry I know a lot of blokes like that who are one man bands & always will be, they can't work for other people or companies because they can't follow basic rules & regulations. Their world is getting narrower as time goes along because they are getting shutdown for their indiscretions.
Duckinski
I've got one good question for you have you ever production cut before?

I've got one good question for you have you ever production cut before?

Yes & now I cut for my own sawmill & have done for 13 years, not to mention contract falling along the way for another sawmill for a couple of years, gotta laugh though at some of the stuff you guys come out with I must say.
Fafinski

Duckinski
Why would I want to work for someone when I make twice as much or more working for myself? I'm well known and respected in my area as a good producing handcutter that has the future of the forest in mind. As far as the big boys, they are parking their equipment right now because the pulp markets are so bad. I have little interest in hiring right now too. I've got plenty of work, but the industry is making a change here and I think the weak ones will be sorted out. Staying small and handcutting will keep me in the game. As far as your "self proclaimed" ********, I speak what I know and show the skills that I have. Most of my cutting is pretty straight forward. Trick cuts are just for fun and rarely used on a daily basis. I don't take any more risks than I have to. I have no one else to watch my back so I have to be careful. It's kind of like a race car driver. To the average person what they do is pretty crazy and is a little intense for them. For the driver he is used to it, knows his limitations, and has the physical and mental capabilities to keep the car on the track. When you've been doing this for a while you can pretty much tell who knows what.

10 cords now if my math is right is about 2 truck loads of logs here, which wouldn't even get green status that'd be closer to being a back faller.

Ten cords is a light truck full here. I'm on a low production job right now. Small timber, lots of pulp, long skid, steep, and I'm cutting/skidding 12 cords per day. So yeah 10 cords a year doesnt qualify much.

Ten cords is a light truck full here. I'm on a low production job right now. Small timber, lots of pulp, long skid, steep, and I'm cutting/skidding 12 cords per day. So yeah 10 cords a year doesnt qualify much.
Everything here is tons and board feet so it takes a bit to figure the difference. How long of skids?

Latest posts

Back