Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just some pics from work. Nothing special.

My son helping me crank a tire back on in the rain last Friday.
IMG_20160819_092250.jpg

Tallest tree on the job. Timber is on the low side of average for size on this job. Eab prevention.
IMG_20160819_092206.jpg

Stump failure yesterday. Dead elm. She started tipping but took the stump with. I've got s firewood customer paying extra for dead wood. I did have to wedge this one a little.
IMG_20160819_092003.jpg

And here's one for Mr. Bewildered.
IMG_20160819_092111.jpg

Everything here is tons and board feet so it takes a bit to figure the difference. How long of skids?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Yeah we do tons on pulpwood too. Mostly when it's going to the mill. Handcutters talk in bf more. The pulp guys in cordage/tons. It's 15 mins from the back to the landing. The hillsides dead end at planted fields and there is no turning around on the hills. Make for a lot of backing up thru thick re gen and a sore neck. I know that probably shortish for a lot of you guys, but it's not unusual to make the landing right on the woods edge or even in the woods. I usually cut 10,20,40,80 acre pieces. The bigger they get I can usually find another landing to keep the skids 5 minutes or so.

Yeah we do tons on pulpwood too. Mostly when it's going to the mill. Handcutters talk in bf more. The pulp guys in cordage/tons. It's 15 mins from the back to the landing. The hillsides dead end at planted fields and there is no turning around on the hills. Make for a lot of backing up thru thick re gen and a sore neck. I know that probably shortish for a lot of you guys, but it's not unusual to make the landing right on the woods edge or even in the woods. I usually cut 10,20,40,80 acre pieces. The bigger they get I can usually find another landing to keep the skids 5 minutes or so.
Normally we run 1500 to 2000 feet from the landings but as far as 5000 feet all running with the bunks facing the rear or up hill.

the self loader jockeys will guarantee 8 full cord per load if they are doing fire wood, ends up around 9-10.

just before starting northman, i was cutti g around 40 cord a year with the occasional log load.. few years later and i stopped keeping track.
I know we average 3 to 3500 on saw logs for footage in 25 year old thinnings, then pulp 25 to 26 tons on the turkey rack with pretty much 18' lengths.

been getting 4200-4500 with the fir i've been in lately

3000-3700 with export:mad: so i'm trying not to send wood to them domestic paying better at lower price just isn't right
Haven't sent any export since the crunch hit thank god but when we were we average 6500. I'm glad we're on company ground thinning everything will be good unless the pulp markets falls out again.

export claims they are paying more.

but then they deduct 700bf and grade everything #3 or #4 and end up paying less per mbf then domestic. so not only does the scale suck then the rate is ****ed too

so from now on they only get the **** wood or sketchy mixed loads

How are things going Matt? The skidder staying together for you? Keeping busy? Weather?

The missus is better then ever, that clutch fix has made here scary... and somehow I get better fuel mileage too? like 3 gals a load or less. The other day I got the blade dug in and enough traction I was pushing an entire load of hemlock sideways, thats never happened.

Weather has been good up until this week red flag fire days all week, otherwise its been mostly cool and a little damp, perfect for PNW logging.

about half way to an excavator as of monday... just have to sell off some more junk and get a few more loads in.

Busy is the half of it... left here at 4:30am just got home about half hour ago...

The missus is better then ever, that clutch fix has made here scary... and somehow I get better fuel mileage too? like 3 gals a load or less. The other day I got the blade dug in and enough traction I was pushing an entire load of hemlock sideways, thats never happened.

Weather has been good up until this week red flag fire days all week, otherwise its been mostly cool and a little damp, perfect for PNW logging.

about half way to an excavator as of monday... just have to sell off some more junk and get a few more loads in.

Busy is the half of it... left here at 4:30am just got home about half hour ago...
My daughter stole my NML shirt:(

Why would I want to work for someone when I make twice as much or more working for myself? I'm well known and respected in my area as a good producing handcutter that has the future of the forest in mind. As far as the big boys, they are parking their equipment right now because the pulp markets are so bad. I have little interest in hiring right now too. I've got plenty of work, but the industry is making a change here and I think the weak ones will be sorted out. Staying small and handcutting will keep me in the game. As far as your "self proclaimed" ********, I speak what I know and show the skills that I have. Most of my cutting is pretty straight forward. Trick cuts are just for fun and rarely used on a daily basis. I don't take any more risks than I have to. I have no one else to watch my back so I have to be careful. It's kind of like a race car driver. To the average person what they do is pretty crazy and is a little intense for them. For the driver he is used to it, knows his limitations, and has the physical and mental capabilities to keep the car on the track. When you've been doing this for a while you can pretty much tell who knows what.
I never said you would ever work for someone, just hinted that more than likely you couldn't , don't worry it doesn't get any better with age, just ask me I'm older & forgotten half the things I've been doing for a long while.
Slashski

Hmmmm.... Id say that's pretty special. ;)
Yeah I suppose you're right. He's only ten but I've been trying to get him out there doing things like that with me more and more. He had fun in the rain. He helped me put leaf springs and shocks in the truck the weekend before. He's not ready for cutting yet tho. His mom is not ready to let me take him anyway. Just to have him tag a long for a little bit.

I would invite you to post this in" Do you know what tree is going to kill you" for discussion as awareness is the point of the video as well the thread.
Very powerful video.

Thnx
Yes please do!! Jack is a helluva guy and a better faller. To hear a guy like Jack kinda break up over his buddy and being in the very spot would be a tough strip to finish..................love to watch this man dump trees!

Yeah I suppose you're right. He's only ten but I've been trying to get him out there doing things like that with me more and more. He had fun in the rain. He helped me put leaf springs and shocks in the truck the weekend before. He's not ready for cutting yet tho. His mom is not ready to let me take him anyway. Just to have him tag a long for a little bit.
Good on ya bitzer for teaching him any and all things homeland security (wife) will allow and that he wants to learn. Not enough learning any like that in the upcoming generations I believe. Ida give anything to go to the woods with my dad or grandpa or whomever when I was a kid..........but the owl cut my ol man out of it and I never got the in depth learnin other than some of the cutting side and that was just geared at firewood, he wouldn't teach me about production cutting cuz he knew I'd go do it like he did.

Back