Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 518920 The one that nearly killed me, will post a video later.
Got sent to fall some trees that where above my skill level, was a good learning curve however
I honestly don't even know what to say but go stand in the corner for a month. Download BC Fallers safe falling practices and study it up. I think they have it well covered. I personally don't think you have the instincts and should do something else.
Your feet were planted and you turned your back. WTF was that! YOU come back and tell US where you fuvjed up and show some sound plan and skill in small diameter and I for one will give you the time of day with advice. As it stands now.. I'm leaving you at the dock. Nothing personal at all.

Peace

Scheffa said the tree wasn't dead so I took his word for it. I've cut my share of dead wood. I spent two months last winter on oak wilt killed trees. Some dead for 6 or 7 years. I'm not sure you really know what it takes. Just a curiosity what did Jack do wrong? Cut too close to the road without a cable in or machine behind?
I don't fall much dead stuff, but they are scattered through the bush everywhere & ive had a few close calls with the tops falling out of them from just being brushed with other trees, or being bumped with a machine, I had one come down on the canopy of my dozer after I bumped the tree with the blade, I was brushing termites off the seat for hours. I fell a dozen long dead grey gum for a neighbor 6 weeks ago & the top of every one of them was in 3 or 4 pieces before they gone through 30 degrees of the fall & that was just slicing through thin air, they are really fragile. Years ago I was looking at 3120 a Faller was selling because he was finished in the game, a dead limb hit him halfway between his neck & shoulder joint, his arm was permanently paralysed & in a sling because of the nerve was so badly damaged from all the shattered bones with the impact.
On old hotsaws, the backcut was facing the road, if something went wrong & it went the wrong way then it would have gone down across the road, the traffic should have been stopped for a couple of minutes while he dropped it, nobody needs some idiot like that lurking in the bush while your going about your business.
Trinkski

I honestly don't even know what to say but go stand in the corner for a month. Download BC Fallers safe falling practices and study it up. I think they have it well covered. I personally don't think you have the instincts and should do something else.
Your feet were planted and you turned your back. WTF was that! YOU come back and tell US where you fuvjed up and show some sound plan and skill in small diameter and I for one will give you the time of day with advice. As it stands now.. I'm leaving you at the dock. Nothing personal at all.

Peace

Sounds kinda personal to me but I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

The main mistake I believe I made was not getting out of dodge as soon as the tree started to go over, don't forget the video is in slow motion so it happened much quicker than it appears.

I possibly should not have attempted to fall this tree as it was without a doubt above my falling skill level, however there was nothing for the tree to hit so it served as a good learning tree I thought.

cut about 5" below your back cut deep enough so when the pusher tree hits it it will break the vertical holding wood on impact. I leave about an 1" and a bit on a uniform shape tree. *For solid wood only.
If it's a small tree I just undercut and a 6"lower back cu

That's a great technique, thanks for sharing. I like that you don't have to look for your wedges at the bottom of the pile.

tree on the left was the one i wanted down, right tree was going to be kept. both were heavily limb locked with each other, left tree wouldnt budge. didnt feel like standing under were it would land while rigging a rope to pull it free, so decided ill take right tree down too, rather take another tree doen then risk dropping one on my head frigging with it.

Attachments

• IMG_20160815_104100.jpg
    IMG_20160815_104100.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 45
this goes here, and is more pertinent then ever, posted this afternoon, so events described took place last monday.

I would invite you to post this in" Do you know what tree is going to kill you" for discussion as awareness is the point of the video as well the thread.
Very powerful video.

Thnx

Sounds kinda personal to me but I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

The main mistake I believe I made was not getting out of dodge as soon as the tree started to go over, don't forget the video is in slow motion so it happened much quicker than it appears.

I possibly should not have attempted to fall this tree as it was without a doubt above my falling skill level, however there was nothing for the tree to hit so it served as a good learning tree I thought.
"You got to be crule to be kind"

Would we keep our kid in Baseball or boxing if he turned his back on the ball or an opponent. Someone pretends to throw a punch at me or a ball; "watch what my body does". You want to see a faller turn into a tree hugger in a half a second then have a bird fly by and cast a shadow.

Thats something you just can't teach, you have it or you don't!
I question your ability to make the right decision most, the rest is really irrelevant.
I will give you an explanation.

-I strongly question your decision to be in this profession from what a saw in the video.
-your wrong decision to go ahead with a tree that your knew was beyond your level.
Your decision to read all the safe practices on here and not apply ANY on the job.

What more do you need? I don't want to see you get hurt, nobody does. You're being selfish to make those bad decisions when it's going to effect others. Not us! we won't ever likely know. Not very professional or much consideration for the others it may effect. For the ones that have the instincts, I say do it right or you don't do it at all and you keep doing it or you don't do it at all. If I die with my gun in my hand, I'm an agile 'educated' dead guy and my family knows the risk at least. My extra saw skills are not needed these days

Tell you a story of a young faller (23) from the same town I sit right now in North coast BC that was 1 of 4 that got killed last year July. Also a company I work for and just found out this past June on the hill that my supervisor was killed 7 months earlier. This was a company that took over and became the biggest falling company in BC. Two fatalities in 7 months and they closed their doors this past June at a crazy business time. Now David (supervisor/friend) just got a bad deal. Very similar accident to a work safe BC video that has been posted on here a few times but the root wad was up hill that he likely couldn't see, was the report. Both deaths with the root wads were the same. They didn't cut at the tree it could pivot on because didn't they realize it was a possibility.
They were both pined into a rock cliff.

I heard it happened in front of David's trainee. I tell you what,I make dam sure that I have a back up for a back up so if I miss one thing I'm covered hopefully.
Thats an ability to learn and apply skill.

As for the young faller, he certainly had the instincts but unfortunately young guys don't ask for qualified assistance like older & more experience guys usually will. He would have actually been complimented had he called someone over even if it was a $200 chopper cost. Thats what they need to see in this business. That they can trust you to make the right decision and calling someone when you are in a pickle will instill confidence in your Bullbucker.

Watch your P's & Q's and don't ever embarrass you Bullbucker or he will never have you back, moreover don't give him the impression you are the guy that's going to be killed on his watch

Young guy is falling a Cedar with two Hemlock gun barrels uprooted of the rock face. He cuts himself a long safety trail in the direction of the fall then goes up and cuts up the Hemlocks so they fall with the Cedar. He had no option to EXIT 3 METRES/ 10 FEET ON A "45°" TO THE ****EN HIGH SIDE OPPOSITE THE DIRECTION OF FALL or a high side cover.
He is young and THINKS he can out run it. His partner found him and it was measured 30ft from the stump, cut in half by the Hemlocks. He was SOOOO close, he needed to be 36' and was just a mere 6 ft short of getting killed another day. Don't you agree?

Instinct - non existent
Education - grade 1 page I
Ability to make the right decision - failed
Saw skills - N/A

Reggie likes to quote government publications.

I had forgotten that it's winter down there and the deciduous trees wouldn't have leaves. The thing is no matter what type of tree and where in the world it is the same general mechanics apply. How those mechanics are applied to the species, state of the tree, size, and situation is what makes the difference. How you employ the techniques and when determines the outcome. A successful outcome can only be gained through experience and often a little luck. In Jack's (hotsaws101) words, " by God's grace," would replace the luck. When I first started watching his videos years ago I thought it was kind of goofy. The more time I spend in the woods the more it rings true. I have a lot of respect for guys like him. Those that have cut the "big" trees for decades and still do. They have figured something out that is not in a publication.
well said..I read this the other day and now fetching it.
^this kids going places. *smiles* eh! When you coming to to the AK? ...come to BC in two days I'll take you to Kennedy island? I'm the only faller. I'll pick you up in Hyder Ak ? This is a extremely rare opportunity considering the rules. It's a little show and it's all undercut and back cut

^this kids going places. *smiles* eh! When you coming to to the AK? ...come to BC in two days I'll take you to Kennedy island? I'm the only faller. I'll pick you up in Hyder Ak ? This is a extremely rare opportunity considering the rules. It's a little show and it's all undercut and back cut
Believe me if it wasn't for the life I've made here I'd be there already. I don't regret much, but not being able to fall the big trees will be one. I make a good living where I'm at and I keep everyone happy. But there is still always that itch to wander.

This invitation open to all... cause I'm only a long days drive away... that and a passport... think mines expired. I've fell some big sticks, but nothing like you folks get to play with all day.

Believe me if it wasn't for the life I've made here I'd be there already. I don't regret much, but not being able to fall the big trees will be one. I make a good living where I'm at and I keep everyone happy. But there is still always that itch to wander.
Always a different smell to the sawdust that tugs at yer shirt.............c'mon bitzer, let us go see and smell the different trees and hillsides, let's lob some hooters cross the hill, let's find out what the lore was all about. I got the itch too, every dang day!

You're making a stink about one tree. Every faller has walked away from a tree before so your point is worthless. Usually they find another way to get it down. The issue is you are telling people never to put a wedge in a dead tree and smack it. And now you quote some publication that recommends the same thing, but does not say "never" and its a government publication at that, which is based of fear of lawsuit so that again is worthless. I have been in the government training for chainsaw safety up here. I had to relearn just about everything when I went into logging. Their methods are designed around safety for the most inept, accident prone, underqualified, lack of common sense people out there so they don't kill themselves.
Even after that training, I watched a guy on our crew cut completely through a railroad tie with the chain on backwards! and he never had a clue.
You are fearful and prideful so you won't listen to anything other than what you think is right, based on other conversations we have had with you in past. And because of that you think you have the right to dispel anything anyone says that is contrary to your ideas and call what you say as gospel.
Many of us work safe fast and efficient up here.n
You are just afraid of some of our techniques and probably would never accept them or change your ways.
.... that is why you would never make it up here as stated before.
You're rabbiting on about everything but an inexperienced novice falling a really dangerous tree, laden with dead branches, he just didn't know any better, over here if you know what you're doing you don't belt wedges into that type of dead tree, now he knows as it was shown in black & white writing, he also now unfortunately knows the unwritten kamikaze redneck method which could end up black & blue in the emergency dept!
Maybe it just comes down to knowing the difference between a dangerous stag tree & a less dangerous snag
Stinkinski

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    112 KB · Views: 25
  • image.png
    image.png
    249.8 KB · Views: 27
Bw, I should not even be posting here as my livelihood isn't tied to falling trees. That said I routinely decline to cut trees that have been dead for awhile for the very reason of the overhead danger. Our large canopy oaks here are particularly dangerous as there is often no place to stand without being under a limb. Even sounding them with an axe can be hazardous. When I was younger and less concerned about life and limb, I have been showered with limbs broken just from the vibration of the saw chain. For those who must cut such hazard trees (using layman's terms here), all I can say is do so with extra caution and use whatever equipment and techniques you have to minimize vibrations and time in the danger zone.

As you know the same applies for one using heavy equipment. About twenty years ago, my younger brother was clearing property down in Florida which had some standing dead pines. The dozer operator ignored his warnings not to push these trees over and proceeded to push one with his blade, the top broke out and landed squarely between the operator's legs. The operator wasn't hurt but it sure changed his attitude.

I hope scheffa has reviewed his video just to watch the branches that broke free and fell once the tree began its fall. If they had been on his side of the tree, he likely would have been clobbered.

Ron

This invitation open to all... cause I'm only a long days drive away... that and a passport... think mines expired. I've fell some big sticks, but nothing like you folks get to play with all day.
Can yoy run a Skagit swing yarder Neighbor? The one in the middle?

Attachments

• IMG_20160817_105908351.jpg
    IMG_20160817_105908351.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
I imagine some aspiring local machinist could make one fairly easily, just a big ass thread on a taper, with a ratchet attached
If you could have that done and expedited to San Fran for me to collect this Friday during my 1 hr stopover on the way to BC, that'll be great, thanks. Just make it out to kiwibro and send it to the avis counter and I'll look them up when I get there, if the plane isn't diverted enroute because a suspicious package was found at the airport avis kiosk, in which case I know nuthink.

Latest posts

Back