Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If jacking trees is ever something I do regularly, I will definitely put a gauge on it. In this case, I palmed the wedge in to take up the slack after every pump or two. 21 pumps bought me 2 inches. Almost no wind. 150 ft tall, 32" at the stump. Different conditions would have changed the game. I would also very much like to have a way to actually fasten the plate to the top of the piston. Pretty sure I could have gotten into trouble had the wind and weight moved things around more than they did.

Still got a twinge of pain in my left shoulder from the last time I got over-ambitious with the wedging.

We've machined an indent in a plate to fit over the ram, then used trampoline springs to hold it in place, much like the Silvey Hi Jacker, but nothing beats the actual Silvey jacks for when you really need them!

We've machined an indent in a plate to fit over the ram, then used trampoline springs to hold it in place, much like the Silvey Hi Jacker, but nothing beats the actual Silvey jacks for when you really need them!

I do not recall seeing pictures of this. Could you post them please?

I spoke with the good folks at Madsen's today and got some grim news on the Silvey front; it appears that unless the timber industry rebounds to about 1980 volumes in the next year or so, even parts won't be available, much less new equipment. This means we have to get crafty with the bits and pieces of old equipment and old know-how that we still have. I don't see having the cash or need for the whole shebang but I may well need to jack a tree every now and then. A duct-tape-and-baling-wire fix will beat nothing at all almost every time.

If jacking trees is ever something I do regularly, I will definitely put a gauge on it. In this case, I palmed the wedge in to take up the slack after every pump or two. 21 pumps bought me 2 inches. Almost no wind. 150 ft tall, 32" at the stump. Different conditions would have changed the game. I would also very much like to have a way to actually fasten the plate to the top of the piston. Pretty sure I could have gotten into trouble had the wind and weight moved things around more than they did.

Still got a twinge of pain in my left shoulder from the last time I got over-ambitious with the wedging.

I was taught to always back up a ram with wedges. More like pound till you get no more lift then pump some, then pound more, and pump etc.

I do not recall seeing pictures of this. Could you post them please?

I spoke with the good folks at Madsen's today and got some grim news on the Silvey front; it appears that unless the timber industry rebounds to about 1980 volumes in the next year or so, even parts won't be available, much less new equipment. This means we have to get crafty with the bits and pieces of old equipment and old know-how that we still have. I don't see having the cash or need for the whole shebang but I may well need to jack a tree every now and then. A duct-tape-and-baling-wire fix will beat nothing at all almost every time.

That is grim, yikes. Not what I want to hear.

I will post them, but will have to look around for one now. May be one kicking around in the back of the saw shop in one particular camp we used them, but have managed to accumulate a number of Silveys now. I'll check my next tour through there!

Hey I'm tryin to find Tree Slinger vids but there are several people with similar handles such as, tree slingr. Treeslinger, Tree Slinger. Which one is an AS member? The vids I am looking for are to music and they are compelation(sp) vids mostly back cuts in steep ground. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was taught to always back up a ram with wedges. More like pound till you get no more lift then pump some, then pound more, and pump etc.

You can say that again. Just last spring I nearly blocked a busy road when earth ate my jack while lifting.

When they're pounded in, the wood fibers are compressed and the wedges are holding weight. If the wedges are just pushed in then the tree could set back some (if the jack fails) before the fibers compress and the wedges do any good. That's my guess....

I get backing the ram up with wedges, but why pound 'em when you're jacking anyway? Does this reduce wear & tear on the ram?

I learned that from an old 3rd gen og faller. Like randy was saying they can fail.
and I a religiously follow the old adage, "never give an inch" sometimes an inch of sitback is all it takes to be screwed. All your gonna do is pop her right off the stump.

I get backing the ram up with wedges, but why pound 'em when you're jacking anyway? Does this reduce wear & tear on the ram?

Because Jacks fail sometimes. Sometimes you can split the back off a tree. There are a lot of reasons. I make the smallest area for the jack that I can and use a bigger plate than you hadthere . 40,000 lbs of lift is ALOT of pressure on a small area. You may recall some of Cody's spooky stories of some of his experiences jacking timber and the guage red lining from a gust of wind.
Jacking is a good place for 15" Double Tapers.

Well Randy, Aaron + 56 beat me to it.
Not trying to gang up on ya. But its important. . May not look cool on a vid. But its the right way to do it.

I know when I've been schooled. I will do as you fellows say. Thank you all for the input. I reckon you might have saved me a braining or two.

Also:
Hey I'm tryin to find Tree Slinger vids but there are several people with similar handles such as, tree slingr. Treeslinger, Tree Slinger. Which one is an AS member? The vids I am looking for are to music and they are compelation(sp) vids mostly back cuts in steep ground. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here you go.

Last edited:

Where ya been Jordan? Hope you've had a productive summer so far. :cheers:

Back