Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Full wrap and the big five points would get that saw pullin instead of pushin. I do back bar alot, but I like to dog in on the bigger stems. No need for extra pressure on that hinge either with the side wedge. I do love me some nice red oak tho. Could be my favorite. Good video. I always like watching timber.

Yeah I stick the axe head in my armpit and as far as my fingers can stretch down the handle is where I cut it. Works perfect every time.

Full wrap and the big five points would get that saw pullin instead of pushin. I do back bar alot, but I like to dog in on the bigger stems.

I used to run half wraps but I got stinkin tired and my hands felt arthritic all the time.
The guys that I cut for think there is no other way. When I flip the saw over they say I am cutting wrong.... leaves high stumps.
Then I show them the towers the feller buncher leaves.

BTW they always point out the ones that have had 2 loads of logs skidded over them and all the dirt dragged away, or the ones with massive swell.:rolleyes:

I used to run half wraps but I got stinkin tired and my hands felt arthritic all the time.
The guys that I cut for think there is no other way. When I flip the saw over they say I am cutting wrong.... leaves high stumps.
Then I show them the towers the feller buncher leaves.

BTW they always point out the ones that have had 2 loads of logs skidded over them and all the dirt dragged away, or the ones with massive swell.:rolleyes:
Of course they pick the high ones. My forester likes to do the same. Yeah that saw jumpin around makes my arms hurt just watchin it! Colton is younger then me yet I think. He can take it!

It wasn't jumping to bad. That bar has cut to many loads of logs..... Needs retired . The rails are pretty sloppy on it so it was binding as much as jumping.

trees here ain't that old. they say the wye oak was over 300, i dunno if i believe that. i cut a 50" white oak with only 90 rings, it was a beautiful tree. problem is the white oak is not coming back like other trees. as well the heart pine and short leaf pine.
i just would like to know why some do and some don't........maybe our forestry practice in flawed some where.

This has to do with stages of succession- the natural plant community establishment and change over time following a disturbance (like fire, land conversion, clear-cut, major wind event, etc.)
Early plant/tree establish'ers are called the seral (pioneer) species, and the ones that establish much later are the climax species. This is a broad definition. Local influences come into play, like the severity of the disturbance, the vegetation type, elevation, aspect, annual precip, frost-free period, things like that. If the system wasn't reset to "zero", then some trees will reestablish and some wont. If it was reset to zero then only the early seral species will come in right away. The climax species might not begin to occur on the site for decades. Since you're talking about hardwood country, here's a picture to illustrate:
Figure_45_06_16.jpg

. The 661 was eating the wood good enough for my liking. Red oak this size is fun waiting to happen. Wish I had 100 acres of it. Wood is good.

That's a big ol oak! Bet it weighed a metric **** ton!

We gotta get you into a full brim hat instead of the construction style.

I know it's common back east, but it still looks goofy! ;0)

This has to do with stages of succession- the natural plant community establishment and change over time following a disturbance (like fire, land conversion, clear-cut, major wind event, etc.)
Early plant/tree establish'ers are called the seral (pioneer) species, and the ones that establish much later are the climax species. This is a broad definition. Local influences come into play, like the severity of the disturbance, the vegetation type, elevation, aspect, annual precip, frost-free period, things like that. If the system wasn't reset to "zero", then some trees will reestablish and some wont. If it was reset to zero then only the early seral species will come in right away. The climax species might not begin to occur on the site for decades. Since you're talking about hardwood country, here's a picture to illustrate:
Figure_45_06_16.jpg
QTLA!

(quoted to like again)

:)

I had a full brim but it slid out of the skidder and I turned it into a cookie sheet. That's my stihl one that I wear in the winter so I can keep my ears warm with the muffs. Can't say it's my favorite hard hat but it's better than just hoping your noggin is hard enough to protect you from the death from above.

I got wrapped in the head pretty good yesterday. Downpour and 30 mph winds. It got ugly in a hurry.

Colton I hate when the rails open up on a bar especially when it seems like you should be able to get more out of it. Usually I run em longer than I should even though it drives me nuts.

I do the same thing. Then I get frustrated and take it off and put a new one on. Every time I do that i tell my self I'm not going to run one that long again. But I still run them until they are junk every single time.

I do the same thing. Then I get frustrated and take it off and put a new one on. Every time I do that i tell my self I'm not going to run one that long again. But I still run them until they are junk every single time.
I got wrapped in the head pretty good yesterday. Downpour and 30 mph winds. It got ugly in a hurry.

Colton I hate when the rails open up on a bar especially when it seems like you should be able to get more out of it. Usually I run em longer than I should even though it drives me nuts.
just like a lot of us trying to save a dollar to make things a bit better during harder times.... it's really not much different than running your truck an extra 1000 miles before changing the oil at 3 grand, cept safer than a split bar!!! lol

IDK, once the rails start spreading, the chain slops around, cuts get crooked/bind and you slow down. I tighten the rails with a bench vise (could never make the fancy tool work), but they will always spread really quickly.
Colton could pick up a new 16" bar for 25 bucks

IDK, once the rails start spreading, the chain slops around, cuts get crooked/bind and you slow down. I tighten the rails with a bench vise (could never make the dance tool work), but they will always spread really quickly.
Colton could pick up a new 16" bar for 25 bucks
lol... ? I am not sure if you stepped over the thought of not getting a new bar idea or just a young gun? most of us that run a bar that long is for a daily beat the odd's test, not so much that a person cant afford a new bar or not . it's like a numbers game of odd's to beat the gol out of a win ! the number's game of gol is a time over matter you might say... the odd's of making a day or to see if your number has made the draw! the number I am playing against sometimes is tomorrow or age 66 and 6 month's for retirement? which comes first ? my number or lucky to see retirement?? we will see tomorrow!?

lol... ? I am not sure if you stepped over the thought of not getting a new bar idea or just a young gun? most of us that run a bar that long is for a daily beat the odd's test, not so much that a person cant afford a new bar or not . it's like a numbers game of odd's to beat the gol out of a win ! the number's game of gol is a time over matter you might say... the odd's of making a day or to see if your number has made the draw! the number I am playing against sometimes is tomorrow or age 66 and 6 month's for retirement? which comes first ? my number or lucky to see retirement?? we will see tomorrow!?
Did you mean to post this in Bitzer's thread?

Did you mean to post this in Bitzer's thread?
nope! I was just giving you some **** about getting a new 25.00 bar and not trying to get all that a person can out of a wore out split bar... lol it's all a chance closing the rails with a bench vice or a pair of vice gripes....

Back