Falling wedges. What's good, what's not, and why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting you should say that, as I was trained the exact opposite: use 2WD to get INTO trouble, save 4WD for getting OUT of trouble. It's the "Use A Bigger Hammer" principle. If you start with your biggest hammer, well...

It's always neat to compare methods with other folks.

When logging you'll learn that that is not what works. Why would you fight yourself and wait till the tree sits HARD and try getting a wedge in and beat on it JUST to get the kerf open....now...imagine if you already had a wedge in it and you didnt have to mess with it all that time...and just hit the wedge half the times you would have before and down it goes....and it lifts alot easier without all that pressure too....alot easier huh?....all of the sudden you are getting more production and your less tired right?...beatin wedges wears you out alot faster than anything...and if you mess around with it it is wasted energy that you could have put into getting more trees on the ground if you already had a wedge in it. Try it sometime. ;)

Yes! Forgot that end of it. The wedge does make a nice bobber, lol. As for momentum and slick roads......I'm a puss.....

Does anybody have a good link on where to buy quality handles? Last week-end I went to just about every store in the area and I found mostly junk. I bought the least junky one I could find but it still isn't real great.

I got a really nice one from Madsen's about a month ago.

Still need to get the ax head hung on the handle.

I hear you on the wedges, though -- such a simple bit of insurance, why not? Plus they're like a bobber telling you when the tree is starting to tip.QUOTE]

And thats another use...ur wedge will tell you what she's doing too...especially in the wind....you'll see the head of the wedge lift if she sits and see her drop if shes going. And look up too!

I bent the handle on my Pulaski on purpose. Can you guess why?

JackPalomino004.jpg

ya when rootin threw the handles at the hardware store for 20 min's and the teenager workin there is lookin at you funny. on the wheelin i find slow and steady is what i do. it's easyer to get of a situation 2 feet off the road than 20 feet. but thats just me.

I have good luck with Madsen's re handles BUT I ask the order taker to pick out a couple of good ones. Pulaskis get a fiberglass handle these days.

One of my hobbies is rehandling tools. Every store I go to that has handles my daughter tries to drag me through so I won't go look at every handle they have. Drives her crazy.

For good handles.......House's Handle Factory, Cassville, Mo. ask for Chris, he owns the place. They source their hickory locally,makes handles on machinery dating back to the late 1800's. They will custom make handles as well to fit your specific needs. I re-handled a bunch of old hand tools buying from his place. For splitting maul handles I just buy his seconds, 2.00 a piece. Leave a axe head or maul head and they will put the handle on for you. Top notch people, they supply a lot of the handles sold under other names at retail. I even bought some 14' oak gig handles there for 10.00 a piece. Try finding a gig handle at your local sporting goods store.

Latest posts

Back