Farmi vs Wallenstein 3 pt skidder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, i don't think the HP is nearly as important as tractor "weight". Anything over 30 PTO hp will power the winch to get logs out, but IF you plan to skid them after, then tractor "weight" is what's needed to be safe and of course, for traction too.

For tires, i have "loaded" 16.6x30's on the rear and 11.2x24's on the front. They also are "radial" tires (read, "big" footprint) that are matched to my soil very well, so i just don't need chains for traction, what i have fits my needs very well...

Like my AGCO, TN's are heavier farm tractors, and i'm thinking "if" you have decent rubber on your TN and it's MFWD, it will work fairly well without chains... You can always add them later, if you really think you need them.

SR
Yah, I figured your tires were definitely bigger than what I have. 16.9x24s on the rear and 10.5x20s on the front. The tires are loaded though. She's heavy enough for sure and is MFWD.

They don't have the tread depth yours do, but they're not bad. I've pushed some big snow piles around with it this year without too many problems, so it should do OK in the woods skidding.

Skidding them back to the "yard" is the way to go for sure. That way one can buck, split and stack/pile with very little additional equipment movement.

Thanks for the info.

VTCastingsWood.jpg

Last edited:
I laugh the way they rate some of the compact tractors at 50-60HP and the tractor barely weighs over 3500 lbs. And the engine is only in the 130-145 cubic inch range. Baby its weight and displacement that is going to get them big logs moving behind a tractor once you get going.up a hill

I have 16.9x30 on the rear and 11.2x24 on the front.I never have skidded to the pile but would consider it once I get my winch.I am also trying to save up for a JD 450 dozer for the woodlot.

I laugh the way they rate some of the compact tractors at 50-60HP and the tractor barely weighs over 3500 lbs. And the engine is only in the 130-145 cubic inch range. Baby its weight and displacement that is going to get them big logs moving behind a tractor once you get going.up a hill
My 50HP tractor weighs over 6000lbs but can't lift the end of big logs to skid 'em and I wouldn't want it to. It's all about compromises, intended use, etc. Others with lighter tractors may also have never bought their tractor with skidding logs in mind.

A 450 is a pretty handy size tractor to own, but for a tractor that may sit a while between uses, i choose a Case over a Deere, mines been a GREAT tractor,

standard.jpg

You will never have stuck clutches in the Case, but it's fairly common in the Deere if sits around very long, and they are EXPENSIVE to replace.

I also like the way the Case has full power to BOTH tracks when you turn with a load...

SR

A 450 is a pretty handy size tractor to own, but for a tractor that may sit a while between uses, i choose a Case over a Deere, mines been a GREAT tractor,

standard.jpg

You will never have stuck clutches in the Case, but it's fairly common in the Deere if sits around very long, and they are EXPENSIVE to replace.

I also like the way the Case has full power to BOTH tracks when you turn with a load...

SR

I run a 450c or 550 for work occasionally and absolutely love it. They both have 30,000lb winches on the back and run a 3/4 cable. The 450 seems to have more power but I've already broke the winch cable pulling another pice of equipment. If I would have truer to just pull, the winch just draggs the dozer backwards. So take the tracks and let them spin and dig down and watch that dozer stand on end doing a wheelie with so much pull. I've also wedged the track behind a tree and pulled.

TOUGH lil machines.

Sent from the shitter, the only place it get to read arboristsite!

Good info on the dozers.I am not familiar with what to look for on one.Just starting to research info.Also thought parts may be cheaper on the Deere since there seems to be so many around.My kids will be building on the property so roads have to made and landscaping done.Also with the last couple of hurricanes parts of my wood roads have been washed out .. I figure over time if I get a decent one my kids will have another tool for years to come.I try to think about everything I buy if it will make my kids lives easier on maintain the property after I am long gone.

Also thought parts may be cheaper on the Deere since there seems to be so many around.

1. That's some "wishful" thinking right there!!

2. I'd rather buy the tractor that doesn't have the problem in the first place!

SR

I have a small Kubota tractor ( B7610 24hp) with a Farmi JL290 winch. It has pulled every tree that I have hooked on to and then skidded them down the ridge to the landing. The rated pull is 6,600 lbs. I run the rpm just a tick above idle and have always pulled the load in. I am always amazed at what it will pull and can't say enough good things about it. I have pulled stuck vehicles out of ditches and snowbanks. Moved sheds to new locations, pulled extremly large boulders ( 4K plus ) out of a trench for running underground power, and hauled my pickup with a full load of wood when the transmission went on it in a very inconvent time.

My limiting factor is what my 3pt hitch will lift, and to date I have not had that as an issue. I saw in CL in NH a used Farmi 351 for sale. You don't see very many of them or other brands very often.

Here are a few pics of mine in action.
Farmi JL290.jpgLog Movng.jpgGrapple.jpg

I have a small Kubota tractor ( B7610 24hp) with a Farmi JL290 winch. It has pulled every tree that I have hooked on to and then skidded them down the ridge to the landing. The rated pull is 6,600 lbs. I run the rpm just a tick above idle and have always pulled the load in. I am always amazed at what it will pull and can't say enough good things about it. I have pulled stuck vehicles out of ditches and snowbanks. Moved sheds to new locations, pulled extremly large boulders ( 4K plus ) out of a trench for running underground power, and hauled my pickup with a full load of wood when the transmission went on it in a very inconvent time.

My limiting factor is what my 3pt hitch will lift, and to date I have not had that as an issue. I saw in CL in NH a used Farmi 351 for sale. You don't see very many of them or other brands very often.

Here are a few pics of mine in action.
View attachment 326626View attachment 326627View attachment 326628

A grapple is also on my want list also. I want,I want ,I want

Well every machine will need some part eventually.

The problem is, the common wear out parts that wear out, are worn out on pretty much all of them, and things like clutches won't be an "salvage" itom, you have to get new...

SR

Latest posts

Back