Father inlaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tman2381

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My father inlaw Has a stihl MS 260 A great saw. My question though is the chain, HE goes through about one a year. Somehow I don't think that's normal we both cut the same amount os wood and my chains definitly over a year old. How long should a PROPERLY sharpened chain last.

depends on the brand of chain, type of wood, size of wood, is it clean, etc....

He does a lot os softwood More than hardwood I'm the opposite i cut more hardwood. The stuff he cuts is nothing really only 6-12" .

He goes through about one a year. Somehow I don't think that's normal we both cut the same amount os wood and my chains definitly over a year old. How long should a PROPERLY sharpened chain last.

How often does he sharpen it or get it sharpened? He could be in the basement, filing or grinding away without your knowledge.

Do you mean "BETWEEN" sharpenings? Or between sharpens X number of times that you can sharpen them? (total life span)..

I have a couple that have lasted ten years or more, (Ok, I haven't actually used them though).

ive had chains last 15 minutes..and then ive had then make it through 2 weeks of 40+ hours a week of sawing..too many variables. i prolly went through 25-30 chains last year

chains

I go through on adverage a chain a week when i'm working. Sometimes more, sometimes less.:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

The only way to really answer this question is to snap a pic of the worn out chain and post it.

Some people accidently kiss the dirt on a regular basis and have to sharpen often. Others take care not too. That is one of the biggest variables.

When I cut river wood, I am constantly sharpening and that is with semi-chisel chain. If that was all I cut, I would go through chains quite rapidly. Thankfully, I have other sources, so I can go quite awhile on a chain. I usually use a chain up to 25% and then put it on a saw I am going to sell so I get the new chain.

Some people accidently kiss the dirt on a regular basis and have to sharpen often. Others take care not too. That is one of the biggest variables.

Thats why I wanted the pic, see if he has been cuttin rocks. Or maybe his dealer just sells him a chain weather he needs it or not.

I can`t compare how I use a chain and how a homeowner or weekend cutter uses his chain but I get 80-100 hours of cutting from a 3/8 pitch .050 gauge Stihl RSC on 18-20" bars cutting clean Maritime hardwood with 70 cc class chainsaws. The type of wood,how clean it is of grit or mud, does he hit the ground when cutting or bucking, even how often he sharpens his chain and how much is taken off each sharpening relates as how long a chain would last. IMO. Pioneerguy600

life of a Chain

When sharpning, is he hand filing or using electric type sharpeners. The electric will grind more metal off and if he's a stickler on having a perfectly sharp chain? Well the rest is history. Or at least metal filings on the floor. Look at the name/quailty of chain he's using also, has mentioned in another reply.

Latest posts

Back