Few simple questions about what Pro saw for my needs. (researched first)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd put the question to the guys here w repair shops to see what 60cc-ish saw they can ship you w bar and sharp chains.

I"M ALL EARS. ????

(Sorry to yell, just take it as seriousness, excitement & enthusiasm.)

Looks like I can close the deal on three different, solid ready to go 036 Pro's for less than $300.

Talk to me!!

Thanks Fellers....

70cc saws kick wood cutting into 5th gear. Smaller saws are only plugn away in 2 and 3rd. Ported 60cc saws are in fourth gear.

I did do a fair amount of cutting with a 359 in stock form and ported.

I'll often climb a steep hillside with a 440 or even 066 on my shoulder sometimes a few hundred yards bag of wedges sledge and 2 gallons of gas. Fell buck and limb with the one saw.
A few hundred yds is about as far as I go maybe a little further if bucked RDS will easily roll that far

Thanks.

with the info I gave in the OP should I go to a skip tooth anyways??

If you're happy with the weight now of the 455 an 044 or 372 with a half wrap is only 14lbs dry and the 455 is almost 13. For one pound you gain 15cc and 2 HP. It has the ability to run. Much longer bar without struggling. Skip is for 36" bars or when it's all I can find.

Two thoughts on this...ok maybe three. Thats all I can handle at one time.

First. If you like the 455-460....they can be had with spare stuff like Bar & chains for your budget new. Not the best saw maybe, but for the "run and put away wet" types they work welland don't burn a lot of fuel. About as reliable a saw as you can buy, a bit heavy for the power maybe but...they ALWAYS start (After adding a little more fuel to both low & high speed in my experience) They don't have cases that corrode when left on the garage floor or in the back of a truck for long periods of time..especially in North Eastern salt environments.....had one around the farm for a few years until a 555 pushed it out of its pocket.

Second. 357xp's as have been suggested scare me. For some reason 359's don't scare me, not much less a saw than a 357xp for a lot less money on the same basic chassis. But I like the new Husqvarna 555/562-Jonsered 2258/2260 saws a LOT more...no comparison actually for me.

Third. If your a mechanical type why not buy a good clean used Stihl 044/046/460 or Husqvarna/ Jonsered- 372/2171 70 cc class saw? That would be the best choice for an all around saw. (Best option by far if u can twist a screw drive or a wrench! )

Fourth if you coulds squeeze out a few more bucks a Husqvarna 365x-torq/Jonsered 2166 while they still are around even a Husqvarna 555 / Jonsered 2258 would be a great couple of picks.

Last edited:
Makita DCS-6401

You're on a tight budget but are handy and mechanically inclined. I'd suggest scouring some Home Depots for one of those used Makita 6401 chainsaws.

I've heard that they sell them for around 3 bills, leaving enough change for some bars and chains.

When it's time to rebuild the top end, pop a big bore onto it and really have fun.

If it is a nice clean 036 that checks out with 20" good bar chain combo. $300 is good for like new looking. If looks used alot $200-$250 if mechanically sound.

I really liked the 036 pro I had and rebuilt. Very impressive IMO.

Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to share your wisdom and insight. I'm reading and re-reading your posts and taking it all in.

-Umbra

If you can find good condition 266XP's, 365 XP, 272's or 372's, they are great saws.

Umbra.
Im picturing a solar panel and satellite dish on a tree. :biggrin:
Or do you go to the library?
You found the right forms to ask your questions!
Jason

Umbra.
Jason
I just read your profile, Umbra. Living year round in a yurt is in the PNW is hard core! Sure, David Canterbury goes and hangs out in his yurt for a week or so at a time, but only when he feels like it.

If I were in your position I would go with a Stihl 036. They're incredibly tough, easy to find up here, and probably have plenty of dealer support in your area since the PNW is pretty heavily Stihl country. If you have a Husky dealer near you, consider a used 357xp.

My new 372 x-torq weighs 20.5lbs full of fuel and oil with a 24" bar. My 181 is the exact same weight. A Husky 562xp sounds like the perfect saw for you but you won't get it for $500. The 357xp as mentioned above is a good saw for you but you'll pay $500 for a good used one.

You may want to check out a Husqvarna 365XT it is the excat same saw as the 372 husky except for baffles in the transport covers, airfilter is felt and it is 150 dollars less. I am a big guy and mine is like a light saber for wood. I have been mucking around with mid grade and homeowner saws. When blocking large oak and cherry trees this saw is a time saver.

Do yourself a favor and get the most powerful saw you can afford that safely cuts the wood you have to work with.

I regret not pulling the trigger for the pro grade saw earlier.

Wow, 70cc? I need that much saw? Cool, please educate me as to why you think. I'm listening.

I know where there is a deal on a NON-pro 036. What is the difference and why do you prefer the non pro model? Also like the address in your signature line!

Believe it or not I have one I made!! I wish I could be nostalgic and use stone tools and old world tools (cross cut saws- which I'm a heck of a sawyer with) However I do not have time to live it purely AND teach folk. I wish I could live it purely, but them folk- students they are called are my income and lively hood!

Thanks All!!!!!!

You said in your opening post you are heavy handed. Mentioned your size- don't expect you'll be too impressed with a tweener saw (60cc) over the 455 you have now. Even though you might be looking at a pro 60cc- it's still somewhat of a horizontal move. If you want next level performance where you will immediately notice a difference (and appreciate the new saw) then you need to step up a size. Im no Goliath but lead a very active lifestyle and it is no problem for me to hike a Husq 288 with 28'' bar all over a hillside clearing. I would raise your weight stipulation a pound or so and be looking for a 044/ 372. The performance will completely irradicate any concern associated with that extra pound.

Last edited:
Stihl 034 Super...

036 performance in a lighter package???

Umbra.
Jason

Staying at my girlfriends house over the weekend & monday picking out a saw and listening to you's guys. She has the good ol' net.

You said in your opening post you are heavy handed. Mentioned your size- don't expect you'll be too impressed with a tweener saw (60cc) over the 455 you have now. Even though you might be looking at a pro 60cc- it's still somewhat of a horizontal move. The performance will completely irradicate any concern associated with that extra pound.

Great point. Thanks!

I'll often climb a steep hillside with a 440 or even 066 on my shoulder sometimes a few hundred yards bag of wedges sledge and 2 gallons of gas. Fell buck and limb with the one saw.
A few hundred yds is about as far as I go maybe a little further if bucked RDS will easily roll that far

When I say "hike with a saw" I'm talking about strap a saw, gas, oil, lunch, canteen, sqrench, spark plug, file etc. to a back pack frame and walk 3,4,5ish miles into the forest.

I'd put the question to the guys here w repair shops to see what 60cc-ish saw they can ship you w bar and sharp chains.

Okay!! How to do this or the most effective means of putting the word out?

Last edited:
An 034 and 036 weigh the same. To get the light weight power you want, an 036/ms360 needs to be ported including muffler.
Otherwise an 044/ms440 is the lightest 70cc, I think

Back