Filson logger jacket?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caddguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have had other Filson's...is this one a good buy? Seems really pricey for the kind of Jacket it is.
Advice please......

http://www.filson.com/products/doub...sProduct=mens/coats-jackets&fmetaProduct=1011

If this is the coat you're talking about it's still made in the US. All the Filson heavy duty stuff is still made here but yea it pisses me off they went over seas (like everyone else I guess) with some of their line up. Mostly the new yuppie crap, since the new owners took over a few years back.

If you're comparing it to Carhartt or similar, there's no comparison. The Filson is in a completely different league. If you have a local Filson dealer give 'em a call and see what kind of discount they might offer. My dealer would knock that coat down to $120-130.......You can't beat that when you figure that coat will last a lifetime of light duty and probably 20 years of hard work.

I've been using Filson gear for hunting (wool & tin cloth) for years and simply can't wear it out.....Yep, it's expensive but like their slogan states "might as well have the best" as long as it's the USA stuff.

If there's something better out there, I've yet to discover it. ;)

I understand Filson buys their wool from Pendelton Mills. If you are talking wool goods (which you are not, nor chainsaws :) ) then may as well look up Pendelton too. I have a Filson double-mac that I consider a survival suit, really too warm for all but a few weeks around here though.

btw, the old Filson manufacturing shop was leveled for the sports mega-plex in Seattle, was that the beginning of the end ?

If I could find the Dbl Logger coat for $120.00 or so, I would buy it!
I gotta tell you though, regarless of how hands have changed at Filson, their guarantee is bar none, the best I have ever seen! I recently sent them in a foul weather jacket I bought from a retail store called Scheel's Sporting goods 8 years ago. I included the needed note asking for some repairs done. 3 days later I get a call from them, "Sir we believe it is time to reitire that jacket it would take too much time to repair, would you mind if we sent you a new jacket, no charge?" !!! I mean wow, who does that anymore?!! Of course I accepted :) Jacket was exactly the same and included a tin of the wax treatment!
I bet foreign made crap you won't get that!

I understand Filson buys their wool from Pendelton Mills.

Pendleton makes/made great stuff too. Unfortunately most all their stuff is assembled in China now. Man, how I still love my old pendleton guide/field shirts! Some of the best shirts ever. I always thought of Pendleton as more of shirt/sweater company. Their new coats are just silly, useless crap and nothing like Filson's outwear.

I have a Filson double-mac that I consider a survival suit, really too warm for all but a few weeks around here though.
Yep, I have a Woolrich (USA) double-mac, that only gets worn on the coldest waterfowl hunts of the year. Truly a survival kit garment!

btw, the old Filson manufacturing shop was leveled for the sports mega-plex in Seattle, was that the beginning of the end ?

Probably....:censored: :givebeer:

If I could find the Dbl Logger coat for $120.00 or so, I would buy it!
I gotta tell you though, regarless of how hands have changed at Filson, their guarantee is bar none, the best I have ever seen! I recently sent them in a foul weather jacket I bought from a retail store called Scheel's Sporting goods 8 years ago. I included the needed note asking for some repairs done. 3 days later I get a call from them, "Sir we believe it is time to reitire that jacket it would take too much time to repair, would you mind if we sent you a new jacket, no charge?" !!! I mean wow, who does that anymore?!! Of course I accepted :) Jacket was exactly the same and included a tin of the wax treatment!
I bet foreign made crap you won't get that!

Find a local dealer and ask if they can cut you a discount under retail price. Worse he can say is no discount. Many times my dealer didn't even have, in stock, what I wanted but ordered it for me. I always tell him wait till you get a few orders. It may take an extra week or two before he places the order but so what, he's helping me so I do likewise.

Here's the closest thing to the last Filson Coat I bought. Looks the same but mine is tin not shelter cloth. http://www.filson.com/products/shel...ity/hunting/coats-jackets&fmetaProduct=aa1311

If I recall the coat retailed for $225 and my dealer sold it to me for $150.....2 more buddies then went and bought that coat off of him for that price and now patronize his shop regularly.

Although you never see the original, heavy duty Filson gear discounted, apparently there's some wiggle room, if the dealer is willing. I've went back to that dealers store (gun dog shop) for 20 plus years to purchase all kinds of stuff, because the prices he gave me on the Filson stuff. :cheers:

Last edited:
Just bought the double logger jacket two weeks ago at big discount 119 bucks including states take. They get a big stock in every year but its a small logging town so they cater to loggin. The tag says made in the USA.

Really stiff?

Yep, probably....Their oiled tin cloth normally stands itself up in the corner and waits for you to climb in.....LOL

That's why they last so long but it gets softer with time, I think. lol :givebeer:

Just purchased the DBL Logger coat online from Joessportinggoods.us for 148.00 no shipping...direct from Filson's though. Best deal I could find living in Central Iowa. I can't wait to get it!

I've gotten some real nice old Duxbak, Woolrich and Bean clothing off Ebay for pretty cheap. Not garage sale cheap, but cheap. Filson tends to run kinda high. Just a thought. It helps if you are a common size and aren't put off by missing buttons, etc.

Latest posts

Back