Finally bought me a Dolmar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Mark how's your review going on with this saw? I have been for a Dolmar 5100 or 7900 to give them a whirl. See how they compare to some other saws in it's class.

Been thinking about trying one for some time. Just curious I guess but don't really need one as I have been more then happy with a Husky 350 or 353 for firewood cutting.

Ran across this one from a most upstanding member selling it on ebay. On a whim I placed a bid on it, mostly just trying to help the member get his reserve met and figured for sure I would be outbid anyway.

You can see how that turned out. :)

I wasn't sure if I would keep it. Thought I might flip it as I have had quite a few local people looking for saws but I had another fella talk me into selling my 353 so it looks like this is staying awhile.

I'm having second thoughts on selling the 353. LOL

Just as I thought this saw is in excellent conditon, looks like a real low hour saw and seems to run really well. Just a small L and idle adjustment to suit me and a quick check on the tach shows its running 14,300 rpm.

I made a about 16 cuts in a 12" piece of hard white oak just to get a feel for it. I think its going to take some getting used to for me to quit missing my Husky as far as comfort and feel go.

The main thing I don't like so far is this bar and chain. It's setup with a 18" 3/8's setup which is actually a 17" bar with a odd to me 64DL chain. The other thing is I don't care much for that choke/switch setup that reminds me too much of a Sthil setup.

My first impression in this hardwood is that I'm not that impressed.

I think the 3/8's setup will get changed out for a 18" .325 since I have one here to try. I can try it with some 20LP as well as the 95VP that I like so well in the brush piles.

I also have 16" and 20" 3/8's bars and chains to try on it as well.

Also I still have the 353 and will try it side by side tomorrow also.

I'm going to give it a fair trial, and it's not only a speed test, as that's not that important to me.

Will take any suggestions you guy who have these have to give.

attachment.php

attachment.php

""

How much credance are you guys' gonna put on Marks "HONEST" opinion?

After all if you read his first post he admits to "shill bidding" his buddies saw.

So he gets stuck with it a blows it a bad review.

Only thing good that could come from this is, that he bought a fried saw!:buttkick:

Here you go buttwipe, I'm back here now. WTF has got into you? Someone piss in your cheerios while I was gone? Jeeze I just said I wasn't that impressed with what must be your favorite saw.

You would have thought I said I seen your mother and sister working in a whore house.

You think I said that I was shill bidding do you? Your full of bullsh*t.

I said and I quote

"Been thinking about trying one for some time. Just curious I guess but don't really need one as I have been more then happy with a Husky 350 or 353 for firewood cutting.

Ran across this one from a most upstanding member selling it on ebay. On a whim I placed a bid on it, mostly just trying to help the member get his reserve met and figured for sure I would be outbid anyway.

You can see how that turned out."

Read it again and use that feeble biased mind to understand what I said. I said that I had been thinking for sometime about buying one to try for myself didn't I?

Looking up the sale on ebay? Big deal.

I never mentioned who the seller was because it's irrelevant and no ones business really. I did feel good about buying it from Mike because I knew it would be in the shape that he said it was and mark my word it was.

Mike never mentioned to me that he was selling that saw, and I never talked to Mike about it before I bid on it. I really don't have to explain or defend myself to you either as again, it's really no ones bussiness, but since you think it is everyones business, there is the real story.

You want to play detective do you? Why don't you look up some of my post from last winter when I was hear asking about the deal my local dealer had on them then.

You will see I was thinking about buying one then but wondered if it would be that much better then the saws I had here to be worth the money spent on one.

I also said I put the bid on it mostly to get the reserve broke on it to help Mike out.

At $250 I thought that would be a good deal on it and I would be surprised if I didn't get outbid on it. I never said no way no how that I would not be taking it myself if I did not get outbid on it. I did not get stuck with it.

I had every intention to buy that saw if I won it and I did. I also didn't have to ask my wife if it was ok or have to take out a loan to pay for it.

I just didn't want to spend the full price on a new one just to see for myself if it lived up to the hype it gets around here from biased fanatics like you.

I don't expect anyone to take credence in my reviews, just like I take others from a Internet board with caution.

That's also why I open up my wallet to put my money where my mouth is to see for myself if what a dill rod like you says is true.

So if you don't believe what I say about it, I really could care less, because I now know first hand about a Dolmar 5100s.

Just because I didn't rave up your saw, you wish me a fried saw? Very nice of you and shows the world what kind of guy you really are. Your proud of that too I'm sure.

Oh and I did compare the saw today with some others. Don't look if you don't want too or can't stand it.

I really like my 5100, it is woods ported and very fun to run, never really got to run a stock one much. It is my favorite FW saw:)

Despite all the bs this one has generated I still want to see the evaluation on this saw.

So did I and here it is.

I messed with the 5100 some and timed it again in the 10" oak log and it was about 12 seconds through it. (stopwatch in my hand while cutting)

I touched the chain again, ran a compression test on it and found the air filter was much more dirty then it first appeared. I washed the filter with simple green and let it soak, rinsed it all with fresh water and let it dry competly. I rechecked the top speed with the tach and it was now running right at 14,550 I reset it to 14,300 and tried it again.

I then had to threaten my daughter with her life to come and time for me. She seen it my way. :)

I made 3 cuts and averged the times. With the 17" .375 setup it ran 9.75 seconds.

I then tried the 18" .325 20lp fresh out of the box with a 7 tooth sprocket.
It slowed down to a 10.28 average

The same bar and chain with a 8 tooth brought it almost back to the .375 times with a 9.96.

I then timed my Jonsered 490 wearing a 16" and once sharpend WP 20RC.
It was fast at 10.16

I then tried the Husqvarna 353 wearing a 3 time (or so) sharpened 95VP semi chisel. It was like I expected and was slower at 11.27

For kicks I grabbed my 54cc Poulan Pro 325 wearing a .375 chisel, and a 20" bar. With only a minor muffler mod I knew it run pretty well and it ripped of a 10.28

I then went and dug my Poulan Pro 325 out of storage and had to gas and oil it up. It has a 16" bar with a fairly fresh .325 Oregon 20LP on it.

It smoked em all with a 9.61 average time.

So here is my results. I'm kinda surprised that 3/8s set up ran like it did. But then again theres not that big a spread in any of the setups on it.

I'm also surprised at the very close times between them all.

I also did drag a couple out to some 20+ wood without the stop watch and they all seemed close again, maybe the PP330 was a little stronger, feeling anyway.

I do know that it will keep the 18" .353x8 setup on it as I have other saws running that same setup and I don't have to keep that odd chain size around.

I also think that it really run better after the air filter cleaning, and the way it was up underneath, its kinda hard to get all cleaned out well without washing it.

My opinon has changed a little for the better on it and I'm going to run the snot out of it in the next couple weeks for some real world cutting with it.

To all you guys who say to give the saw time to break in, I don't think so. I think its broken in plenty well with it pulling a honest 180lbs compression.

I'm also not surprised that the Poulan Pro 325 out run it either, as I knew it was tough to begin with. EVA sawman also has said his 325 will outrun his 5100 as well.

It also shows me how overrated this saw is on this board. Is it bad? Heck no, it just shows that it wasn't all that much of a improvement over what I had for me to spend $400 on a new one.

Take my reviews with what ever credence you want, these are my findings and my opinons. If you want you can get off your wallets and see for yourself like I did. I thank my daughter for helping time these and not making me kill here. :cheers:

I have to deliver the 353 to its new owner later in the week and even though its not as fast as the 5100 I really like it and am not really thrilled about letting it go, but I don't need 2 of these modern 50cc saws here to do what cutting I do. I think with more time on the 5100 I may get the feel for it better as well.

I know it didn't happen without pictures, so here they are.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I believe that this saw is broken in more then you guys think.

Mark than I'd have to say someone has replaced the bar. The paint on the Dolmar bars doesn't hold up for squat and the way that one looks, either the saw hasn't been used but a few times or the bar is (OEM) new and if so why? :confused:

The muffler has been modded, the rim sprocket has been replaced, all to supposedly improve performance and it's still not impressive?......Somethings not right! :monkey:

Mine's all stock with the factory .325 setup and it runs real strong in my hardwoods, mostly oak, locust, hickory, cherry and maple.

For the record, I'm not accusing Mike of anything, after all he said he got it in a trade and didn't need it so was unloading it.

BTW.....You remember a couple years back when I sold ya some parts from my old Poulan 306a.....The 306 is what 59cc and the 5100s is 50cc.....I could get a whole lot more done with the 5100 in a lot less time than the 306 so I'd say if that 5100 isn't keeping up with your 306 than either the saws not ran in or something is wrong.

Nice test Mark.....You got that in while I was posting so that explains a few things....Looks like your compression is good. Keep us posted. :cheers:

Mark than I'd have to say someone has replaced the bar. The paint on the Dolmar bars doesn't hold up for squat and the way that one looks, either the saw hasn't been used but a few times or the bar is (OEM) new and if so why? :confused:

The muffler has been modded, the rim sprocket has been replaced, all to supposedly improve performance and it's still not impressive?......Somethings not right! :monkey:

Mine's all stock with the factory .325 setup and it runs real strong in my hardwoods, mostly oak, locust, hickory, cherry and maple.

For the record, I'm not accusing Mike of anything, after all he said he got it in a trade and didn't need it so was unloading it.

BTW.....You remember a couple years back when I sold ya some parts from my old Poulan 306a.....The 306 is what 59cc and the 5100s is 50cc.....I could get a whole lot more done with the 5100 in a lot less time than the 306 so I'd say if that 5100 isn't keeping up with your 306 than either the saws not ran in or something is wrong.

I never said it wasnt a impressive saw for 50cc at all. It actually is but my point was, it is not $400 better then some of the 20 year old saws that I already had.

I don't know where you thought I was comparing it to a 306A, apples and oranges and it will smoke a 306A. But...my old 306A will grudingly pull a 24" bar with full .375 chain through some bigger hardwoods, the 5100? I doubt it.

Like I tried to say, I'm not really all hung up on this speed thing, and this is the first time I ever bothered to run em side by side. All are more then capable.

I just had to see for myself what is what with these things.

Well now that the dingaling is, or appears to be gone, I've wondered this myself, if a new saw is really that big of an improvement over what Dad could buy at my age. I think the answer is always a maybe. Newer saws: less upkeep, easier to find parts, more money. Old saws: more maintenance, sometimes hard to find parts for, but always (for me) less money. The weight thing comes into play, ease of starting does not for me because if its running right it should start easy enough. Most of us on here know that its not usually the saws, its the users and that any given saw on any given day will embarrass either its self or the user, sometimes both.

Well now that the dingaling is, or appears to be gone, I've wondered this myself, if a new saw is really that big of an improvement over what Dad could buy at my age. I think the answer is always a maybe. Newer saws: less upkeep, easier to find parts, more money. Old saws: more maintenance, sometimes hard to find parts for, but always (for me) less money. The weight thing comes into play, ease of starting does not for me because if its running right it should start easy enough. Most of us on here know that its not usually the saws, its the users and that any given saw on any given day will embarrass either its self or the user, sometimes both.

Good points and some of my thoughts as well!

very good information. It sounds like all those saws are very respectable tools. The fact that your muf modded 330 Poulan sets the bar for all these other saws is a hoot. My 330 is completely stock and it just blows me away every time I use it.:clap:

That one Poulan looks a lot like Partner...is it?:cheers:

Yes the PP325 is in fact a Partner. I always thought it was a Partner 540 but find it might be a 5500 or in fact a combination of both.

The 540 and 5500 were European only saws as far as I know.

Nice bar on your 4200 I am surprised to see the 64dl count on it. You know you got a Homelite style bar do you not? That slot will be a 3/8's and will be sloppy on your Poulans 5/16" bar studs. There was a "s" spacer used to mount those Homelite style bars to space up the studs.

Most of the Poulan/Echo D176 18" bars were 66 dl bars and I thought the Homelites were as wee.

good review mark.
someone stole your dawgs
that muffler looks different(than mine)

Yeah I didn't know that this on had a Cat muffler on it, might be looking to change that.

Here you go buttwipe, I'm back here now. WTF has got into you? Someone piss in your cheerios while I was gone? Jeeze I just said I wasn't that impressed with what must be your favorite saw.

You would have thought I said I seen your mother and sister working in a whore house.

You think I said that I was shill bidding do you? Your full of bullsh*t.

I said and I quote

"Been thinking about trying one for some time. Just curious I guess but don't really need one as I have been more then happy with a Husky 350 or 353 for firewood cutting.

You can see how that turned out."

Read it again and use that feeble biased mind to understand what I said. I said that I had been thinking for sometime about buying one to try for myself didn't I?

Looking up the sale on ebay? Big deal.

I never mentioned who the seller was because it's irrelevant and no ones business really. I did feel good about buying it from Mike because I knew it would be in the shape that he said it was and mark my word it was.

Mike never mentioned to me that he was selling that saw, and I never talked to Mike about it before I bid on it. I really don't have to explain or defend myself to you either as again, it's really no ones bussiness, but since you think it is everyones business, there is the real story.

You want to play detective do you? Why don't you look up some of my post from last winter when I was hear asking about the deal my local dealer had on them then.

You will see I was thinking about buying one then but wondered if it would be that much better then the saws I had here to be worth the money spent on one.

I also said I put the bid on it mostly to get the reserve broke on it to help Mike out.

At $250 I thought that would be a good deal on it and I would be surprised if I didn't get outbid on it. I never said no way no how that I would not be taking it myself if I did not get outbid on it. I did not get stuck with it.

I had every intention to buy that saw if I won it and I did. I also didn't have to ask my wife if it was ok or have to take out a loan to pay for it.

I just didn't want to spend the full price on a new one just to see for myself if it lived up to the hype it gets around here from biased fanatics like you.

I don't expect anyone to take credence in my reviews, just like I take others from a Internet board with caution.

That's also why I open up my wallet to put my money where my mouth is to see for myself if what a dill rod like you says is true.

So if you don't believe what I say about it, I really could care less, because I now know first hand about a Dolmar 5100s.

Just because I didn't rave up your saw, you wish me a fried saw? Very nice of you and shows the world what kind of guy you really are. Your proud of that too I'm sure.

Oh and I did compare the saw today with some others. Don't look if you don't want too or can't stand it.

Just rediculous to have to explain yourself to this depth IMO. You live close enough to use the belt?

The new saws are a bargain....the biggest bargain of all time was the Poulan 330's for $179 at Tractor supply last year....that would be like buying it for $30, 30 years ago.

As soon as I bought mine I let all the guy's on here know and the next thing ya know alot of them was buying it and yes it was/is the best deal on a new saw.:cheers:

Yes it needs the "s" spacer. My Craftsman 4200 came with a 24 inch bar that looked a lot like an Oregon, and it came with the "s" spacer from the factory. I have lost it somewhere, I need to make up another one. Do you happen to know the thickness of the material that is best used to fill in the space? I have some calipers here somewhere but I can't seem to be able to find them at the moment.:cry:
I made a s spacer from a stainless strip from an old wiper blade
guessin about .030 but not sure
the thickness the other way had to be ground some

So here is my results. I'm kinda surprised that 3/8s set up ran like it did. But then again theres not that big a spread in any of the setups on it.

I'm not surprised with your findings. The results are consistent that the 5100 is a littler faster with 3/8 than .325. Your findings would likely be the opposite on the 353/346.

Good on ya for giving an honest report:clap:

Latest posts

Back