Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite fire quote so far from this year, snagged from some MSU dude in a 130 class video.

"A fire fighters job is to pack heavy stuff in the woods. One can prepare for this, by packing heavy stuff in the woods."

Hahahaha

So there is another class they are requiring fallers to take as well. Something called NIMS IS-700? It's some sort of FEMA training that is supposed to make us ready for all incident response. It's an online course that has almost nothing to do with wildland fire. And most that are on the falling contracts are going to have lots of trouble passing it. I swear someone in the regional office is on a mission to make sure that the number of fallers on contract is going to drop at least 75%.

So there is another class they are requiring fallers to take as well. Something called NIMS IS-700? It's some sort of FEMA training that is supposed to make us ready for all incident response. It's an online course that has almost nothing to do with wildland fire. And most that are on the falling contracts are going to have lots of trouble passing it. I swear someone in the regional office is on a mission to make sure that the number of fallers on contract is going to drop at least 75%.

If you have any more information on this we'd appreciate hearing it. If 75% of the available fallers aren't qualified it might be an interesting season and maybe a wake-up call for some of the people who keep throwing obstacles in our way.

I heard a rumor that the Forest Service is trying to get FEMA to take over the fire fighting. It is a budget thing. That's all I know...

FEMA? Like there's not enough layers of bureaucracy and decision making already?

You better let Oly know. :eek:

FEMA? Like there's not enough layers of bureaucracy and decision making already?

You better let Oly know. :eek:

Maybe the whole politicals? Maybe those rumored FEMA camps are for firefighter training? And let's not forget the EPA. I haven't heard any rumors but I could start a whopper with the EPA as the culprit. I won't.

Yup, FEMA would have a budget for fire disasters and the FS could use their budget for intended purposes.

If you have any more information on this we'd appreciate hearing it. If 75% of the available fallers aren't qualified it might be an interesting season and maybe a wake-up call for some of the people who keep throwing obstacles in our way.

Finally passed after 3 tries and lots of going over the material multiple times. Here's a link to the FEMA site, click on the "Interactive Web Based Course" in the upper right.

http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/courseOverview.aspx?code=IS-700.a

I guess they are making everybody do it? I talked to a govt. buddy of mine and he says they make a cheat sheet so they don't have to waste as much time as I just did. He said pretty much every govt. place does a cheat sheet to help, so they obviously think it's worthless as well.

The jist of the article is to make it easier to declare a big fire a disaster, allowing FEMA or whoever to step in and foot the bill, FS and usual the suspects would most likely still be in charge of putting the damn thing out... I think... won't/can't give specifics, not my field.

The bonus is that the FS can then spend money on preventing fires rather than sinking up to their collective eyeballs putting them out

See, that makes a lot of sense. Fingers crossed it works.

NM's idea is practical and it does makes sense. If they follow his line of thinking things might actually become more efficient and everyone would benefit.

But, then again, we're still falling into the trap of applying logic and common sense to a problem and expecting it to work. We keep expecting a level of improvement commensurate with the amount of workable solutions to the problem. Seems like we should know better by now.
Or is that just "old guy cynicism"?

Well, no surprises here...

http://calwatchdog.com/2014/02/19/judge-blasts-corrupt-cal-fire-in-wildfire-lawsuit/

"Superior Court Judge Leslie Nichols this month ruled that the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection repeatedly deceived and withheld evidence in a lawsuit seeking $8.1 million from a company and several landowners for a wildfire that the company did not cause. The judge further found that $400,000 of that money was slated for an illegal Cal Fire slush fund. Cal Fire was represented by Attorney General Kamala Harris’ office."

Well, no surprises here...

http://calwatchdog.com/2014/02/19/judge-blasts-corrupt-cal-fire-in-wildfire-lawsuit/

"Superior Court Judge Leslie Nichols this month ruled that the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection repeatedly deceived and withheld evidence in a lawsuit seeking $8.1 million from a company and several landowners for a wildfire that the company did not cause. The judge further found that $400,000 of that money was slated for an illegal Cal Fire slush fund. Cal Fire was represented by Attorney General Kamala Harris’ office."

There's probably some smiling faces in Anderson right about now.

Latest posts

Back