Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, no surprises here...

http://calwatchdog.com/2014/02/19/judge-blasts-corrupt-cal-fire-in-wildfire-lawsuit/

"Superior Court Judge Leslie Nichols this month ruled that the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection repeatedly deceived and withheld evidence in a lawsuit seeking $8.1 million from a company and several landowners for a wildfire that the company did not cause. The judge further found that $400,000 of that money was slated for an illegal Cal Fire slush fund. Cal Fire was represented by Attorney General Kamala Harris’ office."
Yeah this happened a couple of months ago. Cal Fire feels they are above the law at times.
http://wildfiretoday.com/2014/02/06...0-million-for-conduct-in-moonlight-fire-case/

I heard on the news today that CalFire has a "massive" hiring program already in place for this season.

Really massive. They're hiring 100 additional seasonals. I guess that must sound impressive to Joe Homeowner but 100 people in a state as large as California isn't even a drop in the bucket.

100?!? Geeze, we hire 14 each year and we're TINY.

Yup...that's 100 additional seasonals added to how ever many they normally hire. So you get 100 green troops spread out over the entire state...who am I kidding, most of them will go to SoCal...and that's supposed to make everybody feel all cozy and secure? It's just something they came up with to make a little media splash.

In the meantime they don't want to come up with any more money for fallers or dozers or water tenders or runners or....

Finally passed after 3 tries and lots of going over the material multiple times. Here's a link to the FEMA site, click on the "Interactive Web Based Course" in the upper right.

http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/courseOverview.aspx?code=IS-700.a

I guess they are making everybody do it? I talked to a govt. buddy of mine and he says they make a cheat sheet so they don't have to waste as much time as I just did. He said pretty much every govt. place does a cheat sheet to help, so they obviously think it's worthless as well.

I have been a Firefighter for 16 yrs and now I'm a contractor. IS-700 is for the most part too much for a contractor, but it does help you to understand the Incident Command system. You should know who your boss (Felling Boss) is on a fire, that you have every right to make a Safety Stop and not go to the Command Post and tell IC that your water was too warm to drink today. That's it in a nut shell, sorry I cant give you a cert for that :)

I read somewhere that something like 60% of wildland fire hospitalization injuries were due to inhaling poison-oak smoke. I'll look around a bit to see if I can substantiate that number, but even if it's urban mythology, it still makes me nervous. We don't have anywhere near as much of the stuff here as there is in CA or even OR, but I do run into it, and in fire-prone places. Here's some I found last week on a burned-over site just opposite, and only about 100 yards from, a place that burns almost every year.

EDIT: notice the little white spangly bits? That's flowers. There will be more of the stuff next year.
temporary_zps6219385d.jpg

I read somewhere that something like 60% of wildland fire hospitalization injuries were due to inhaling poison-oak smoke. I'll look around a bit to see if I can substantiate that number, but even if it's urban mythology, it still makes me nervous. We don't have anywhere near as much of the stuff here as there is in CA or even OR, but I do run into it, and in fire-prone places. Here's some I found last week on a burned-over site just opposite, and only about 100 yards from, a place that burns almost every year.

EDIT: notice the little white spangly bits? That's flowers. There will be more of the stuff next year.
temporary_zps6219385d.jpg

HERBICIDE!

Latest posts

Back