Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You northerners probably heard a firefighter died while taking the pack test in Wyoming. Don't know the details.

Firefighting is dangerous enough without being in poor physical condition, not that I should talk. However for you contractors and agency guys/gals do be serious about getting into and remaining in top shape this fire season. At 61 I have hella time getting ion shape.

Yeah!!! A reverse firefighting air strike. Instead of an air tanker, request napalm and like Randy said let it burn.

Poison Oak used to be the number one cause of workers' comp claims. It changed to "stress" about 30 years ago. I don't know what is first now.
Stupidity has to be up there in every occupation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You won't see me arguing. I break out just thinking about that stuff. *shudder*

Same here. I was fine for years and never had a problem with it. Then one year I got down wind from a burn and got just enough smoke exposure to make me sick.
Since then...well, I don't even like to think about that stuff.

We're not on fire yet.

Another reason I love Montanny. . . No poison oak.

Sounds like I never want to even lay eyes on that stuff.

I didn't hear about the pack test death in WY, but that should fuel the fire for the ones pushing fir more and more regs. Pretty soon, they'll have to use robots -- nobody will qualify for fire duty.

I read somewhere that something like 60% of wildland fire hospitalization injuries were due to inhaling poison-oak smoke. I'll look around a bit to see if I can substantiate that number, but even if it's urban mythology, it still makes me nervous. We don't have anywhere near as much of the stuff here as there is in CA or even OR, but I do run into it, and in fire-prone places. Here's some I found last week on a burned-over site just opposite, and only about 100 yards from, a place that burns almost every year.

EDIT: notice the little white spangly bits? That's flowers. There will be more of the stuff next year.
temporary_zps6219385d.jpg
yuck, haven't seen that stuff since 1986! You all can keep that stuff down in the states...I'll take the brown bears and devils club and be happy!

Latest posts

Back