Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are still holding their breath in SoCal and some of the south central foothills. We are at 175% of normal rainfall from July 1st, 75% from Jan 1st 9 inches shy of the mark.

I wonder if it would be cheaper to hydro seed native wild flowers mixed with the appropriate amounts of native timber. The hydro seeding is laced with fibrouse stuff (wood fiber?) to help with erosion short term anyway, the wild flowers would be all pretty and stuff and buy time for the trees to regrow... just a thought and probably more effective the a bunch of flunkies spreading straw around.

I'm not sure the typical bulldozers (edit, darned autocorrect) hydroseed mulch would work well in an aerial application. In the undesired(edit, darned autocorrect again) hydroseed blowers it's continually agitated, otherwise the wood fiber settles out and matts in the bottom of the tank. Planes and helicopters don't have an agitator, AFAIK. I bet you could do it in two steps, seed and fertilize, then straw mulch. I think the wood fiber mulch would work poorly in aerial equipment.

Seems like way too much ground to cover with your standard hydroseeder. They are limited to rights of way.

Good article. Thanks. This has been in the news around here for quite awhile and a lot of people are following it.
It sure sheds a light on CalFire that they'd rather not have. I used to think that CalFire, screwed up as they are, wasn't really a bad outfit and I was surprised that they resorted to this kind of skullduggery. I was naive...as were a lot of people. CalFire's upper management is responsible for this mess and I hope they hang them out to dry.

Sierra Pacific is pissed off and they have every right to be. Sure, they're a big company with deep pockets but that doesn't mean that they're required to be a cash cow for a bunch of greedy bureaucrats.

The only discrepancy I saw in the article was the inference that SPI owned the dozer that started the fire. It was owned by a contract logger. The logger had a fire watchman the day the fire started but he'd gone into town for a soda. :rolleyes:

Good article. Thanks. This has been in the news around here for quite awhile and a lot of people are following it.
It sure sheds a light on CalFire that they'd rather not have. I used to think that CalFire, screwed up as they are, wasn't really a bad outfit and I was surprised that they resorted to this kind of skullduggery. I was naive...as were a lot of people. CalFire's upper management is responsible for this mess and I hope they hang them out to dry.

Sierra Pacific is pissed off and they have every right to be. Sure, they're a big company with deep pockets but that doesn't mean that they're required to be a cash cow for a bunch of greedy bureaucrats.

The only discrepancy I saw in the article was the inference that SPI owned the dozer that started the fire. It was owned by a contract logger. The logger had a fire watchman the day the fire started but he'd gone into town for a soda. :rolleyes:
World's most expensive soda?

I'm renting the local school gym 3 nights a week to shoot hoops. Hoping to be a little more lean and mean for this season.

Latest posts

Back