Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately several California agencies have "off the books" slush funds. State Parks was nailed to the wall a couple if years ago when investigators found money the Parks had tried to hide when they claimed they were broke and were closing parks while screaming for more money. State people are never prosecuted, they just go out on a stress disability, get the golden handshake and never testify.

Unfortunately several California agencies have "off the books" slush funds. State Parks was nailed to the wall a couple if years ago when investigators found money the Parks had tried to hide when they claimed they were broke and were closing parks while screaming for more money. State people are never prosecuted, they just go out on a stress disability, get the golden handshake and never testify.

Yup. Parks like the one you and I do volunteer work for suffer because of that chicanery.

Thanks Bob. Hanging in there. Jenn and the girls are doing well. Busy going 100 different directions with all their activities and such.

Mom's health is going downhill. Some days are better than others. It's hardest on Dad.

I'm dealing with family and work and trying not to go nuts. Could be a hell of a lot worse. Work on saws when I get a few free hours. Go cutting when I have a few more.....

Thanks Bob. Hanging in there. Jenn and the girls are doing well. Busy going 100 different directions with all their activities and such.

Mom's health is going downhill. Some days are better than others. It's hardest on Dad.

I'm dealing with family and work and trying not to go nuts. Could be a hell of a lot worse. Work on saws when I get a few free hours. Go cutting when I have a few more.....

Good. Well, not all good but you know what I mean. I got a pm from Bruce today. He's going to mail me a cd of all the stuff you and he shot at Napa. And he's talking about having a post-GTG meeting of some kind.

Sounds good. Haven't talked much with Bruce since the GTG. PM'd back and forth with Tyler last night and today. Park's weathering the storm OK so far. Got my saws and gear in the back of my pickup in case Tyler needs some help with something that's fallen over a road.

It rained, a lot, none of the forecast winds which really saved us, rivers topped out just over flood and they are receding, so, to answer the question, very well, much better than expected.

How'd you folks weather that storm, anyway? We're still figuring out how much work cleanup is gonna be.

Nothing bad here. The Conservancy lost some trees, the Land Trust lost a few, but nothing major. We're in the Sierras again for a while. We had a lot of rain and some wind but nothing horrible..
One bad note though. At the mine there was a good sized Ponderosa with base rot. I mentioned to the Tree Retention Committee (don't ask, the description of the TRC would just make you grind your teeth...think preservationist group within the Conservancy) that if the storm took the tree it was likely going to fall across a historic hand laid rock wall, 100 feet long and ten feet high, left over from the 1800s. Beautiful stone work, artistry that long survived those who built it and gave us an example every day of what men could do with their bare hands.
The tree, big, old and ugly, would also fall across the main power lines coming onto the property. I mentioned that I could fall the tree before the storm, miss the rock wall and the power lines and all would be well. They declined. They had to have a meeting about it. And confer with other committee members. And study the situation. And have another meeting. And confer some more. And have another meeting.
They finally declined They declined and I argued and I got a whole ration of crap about how loggers just want to cut down everything in sight and clearcut the entire planet and....you know the speech.
I went home.
The storm came, the tree fell over. It took out the power lines. It also took out about twenty feet of rock wall. I drove out this morning and looked at it.
To keep this on topic...One of the TRC people had parked their car under the power lines. It was, after all, their personal and designated private parking space. The tree hit the car and then the power lines got it. Good thing they weren't in it. Scratch one large Mercedes that was new enough to still have the paper plates on it. Burned it into a pile of slag.
I'm trying very hard...very hard...not to gloat.

Nothing bad here. The Conservancy lost some trees, the Land Trust lost a few, but nothing major. We're in the Sierras again for a while. We had a lot of rain and some wind but nothing horrible..
One bad note though. At the mine there was a good sized Ponderosa with base rot. I mentioned to the Tree Retention Committee (don't ask, the description of the TRC would just make you grind your teeth...think preservationist group within the Conservancy) that if the storm took the tree it was likely going to fall across a historic hand laid rock wall, 100 feet long and ten feet high, left over from the 1800s. Beautiful stone work, artistry that long survived those who built it and gave us an example every day of what men could do with their bare hands.
The tree, big, old and ugly, would also fall across the main power lines coming onto the property. I mentioned that I could fall the tree before the storm, miss the rock wall and the power lines and all would be well. They declined. They had to have a meeting about it. And confer with other committee members. And study the situation. And have another meeting. And confer some more. And have another meeting.
They finally declined They declined and I argued and I got a whole ration of crap about how loggers just want to cut down everything in sight and clearcut the entire planet and....you know the speech.
I went home.
The storm came, the tree fell over. It took out the power lines. It also took out about twenty feet of rock wall. I drove out this morning and looked at it.
To keep this on topic...One of the TRC people had parked their car under the power lines. It was, after all, their personal and designated private parking space. The tree hit the car and then the power lines got it. Good thing they weren't in it. Scratch one large Mercedes that was new enough to still have the paper plates on it. Burned it into a pile of slag.
I'm trying very hard...very hard...not to gloat. .

Some People won't listen regardless of how sound, rational, and intelligent another view is.

I went home.
I'm trying very hard...very hard...not to gloat.

Oh no, you should gloat. . . A lot!

You should have a shirt made that reads "I said cut the tree", and wear it any time you're near those pretentious a-holes.

P.s. Your story made me smile, score 1 for the little guy.

Latest posts

Back