Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it is a wet and snowy winter, the following summer will be declared to be a scary fire season,:crazy2: because the grass will be tall and burn. If it is a dry winter, the following summer will be declared to be a scary fire season:crazy2: because the fuel moisture will be low. No matter what, the prediction in January will be for an upcoming scary season. It might be budget driven???

Who knows? It could be like 1981, when we had a low snow pack and then it seemed to rain all summer.
The wet this winter and dry this summer stuff could be true for us in the Southeast.
it will rain this winter and once spring hits...all of our brush will grow thicker if it already isnt. You might come down here to the Southeast and see out humidity is high and won't think things would burn in the spring or summer but that's when we get the chemicals in the plants which love fire to come up during the plants growth thus making fires burn hot.

We have lots of fires in the winter because everything is dry but usually in the summer and spring that's when we have extremely hot fires.

No matter what, the prediction in January will be for an upcoming scary season. It might be budget driven???
LOL...Ya think? We voted in an additional fire tax/fee kinda thing last year and they're still screaming for more money. Maybe if they got rid of some of the useless overhead on some of the big fires they might save a little money. Naaaaah....never happen.
I like that emoticon...:crazy2:. Very appropriate.

LOL...Ya think? We voted in an additional fire tax/fee kinda thing last year and they're still screaming for more money. Maybe if they got rid of some of the useless overhead on some of the big fires they might save a little money. Naaaaah....never happen.
I like that emoticon...:crazy2:. Very appropriate.
I am not a logger or a forester, but I do know the government, anything they do is damn top heavy and slow. They waste enough money to feed the homeless lol. ED

we were on 2 fires yesterday, this is usually our greatest here in n.e. texas, but we have had wet weather lately. we had a few firefighters from Georgia a few years back came in to help us! around the year 2000 , you one of them ?

I was kind of thinking they were pretty limby to be slash.

No, I'm a young buck, I started volunteering in high school with them in 2008ish and then got the job after I left a timber company in 2011 when we had the Honey Prairie Wildfire.

I see some Texas forest service cards in our office time to time while piddling through the drawers. I've heard guys who've been here longer than me talking about the fires in Texas and how good the food was out there. Maybe one day I'll go but hate seeing people lose stuff but that's going to happen.

There is a new vid put up on youtube today called "The Rim Fire". It is worth your time to watch it even with its granola flavor. Kinda funny how the 'ologists are now saying the same thing the ranchers and rednecks were saying back in the sixties. We need more fire on the ground.

I was contacted by Cal Fire today. Our safety class will be in May.

BTW there was a wildland fire in Pacifica today that burned 5 acres and required 90 homes to be evacuated. It was 84 degrees in Watsonville yesterday.

I lived in the south for several years -- FL, SC, VA -- and in all 3 places, I had to go a good ways to find anything I'd call "hills". It mostly bugged me because I'm used to navigating by mountains. How the hell am I supposed to know where I am when there's no mountain to point at?

Back