Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cody and I are fine and have nearly dried out. His job with the County ended this past week and the gf finished finals so they are heading to San Diego for a week. We closed the tree lot a few hours ago so tomorrow morning I head down to the Little Sur drainage to clear several blowdowns. That little micro-climate received 22 1/2" of rain during the last two systems. The big slide has been cleared and 4 mile dirt road is open. I will probably post a few pics later on the week especially if I buy a new laptop.

Dang , I am really tired.

I woke up this morning at 04:30 after working 17 days straight and listened to the rain on the air conditioner and thought "nope, not today". No two hour drive, no sawing in the rain, no two hour drive home. A grove of 4 or 5 redwoods came down, nothing bigger than 48" (I hope), it can wait a couple of days. I just talked to the Ranger and he said it is raining an inch an hour right now. I have a fire in the fireplace.

So OK I know this isn't the Axe Men forum but hear me out. Last night I plopped into my recliner chair with a pollo asado burrito to watch some football. Unfortunately it was the Cowgirls vs. the Beagles neither of whom I like, especially Tony Chokemo. Anyway I started flipping channels during the ads and came across AxeMen. The show about a family of loggers trying to get a tree length load up a slippery road with a excavator pushing the logs. Never having hauled logs can you push on the longest logs without them ending up in the cab? Also if you watched you saw an excavator with the worsr tracks I have ever seen. At least one grouser was broken in half. I never saw the sprocket but it could not have looked good.

Never having hauled logs can you push on the longest logs without them ending up in the cab?

If you're loading and you know you're probably going to push the truck you can leave one or two bunk logs hanging back a ways over the rear bunk. That works well on 40 footers. If you're loading 32s and don't have any room to hang one over the back bunk you can put butt a couple of shorties in the middle of the load and push on them. Having the logs hanging over the back keeps from having to push on the back of the reach...that's a no-no,
Just make sure you load as tightly as possible. If helps if the driver puts his tail wrapper on and ties to the rear bunk before he leaves the landing.
Most of the trucks use the single edge bunk now instead of the old Hassel-style troughs. The single edge, being sharper, seems to help hold the logs on better.
Now, all that being said, if the guy pushing doesn't pay attention or you get a meathead driver who tries to catch a gear while he's being pushed, yes you can wind up with logs moving forward. Doesn't happen very often though.

Well around here tree planting is on. Once the trees go dormant and the soil has good moisture..in the trees go. We sure are losing a lot of forest acres to farm and housing development which kind of makes me sick.

It's starting to rain some..already got over 5+" so that's ruining our RX burns but we did some before the rain. Nothing like the smell of woods burning that's not a wildfire.

20141217_173525.jpg

I've been installing firebreaks on landowners properties...got stuck....as usual.

20141218_140917.jpg

PNW Fire people are starting to whisper. It's starting to look like we may be setting up for a drier/more severe fire season than last year. Still lots of time to get caught up. Looking at the Climate Anomaly maps is kind of misleading, so much of our rainfall has been during runoff events, I suspect we are drier than the maps indicate. I suppose we will know in 10 months or so how things went.
Feb to April Projected temps:

off02_temp.gif

And Projected rainfall:
off02_prcp.gif

For us Wetsiders, this time of year really doesn't affect our local Fire seasons anyway, May and June rainfall, and late summer weather are a much bigger factor.

But it's a lot more fun to talk about Fire than my last flu patient. Body fluids, ugh....

Fire people have always made grave predictions this time of year. Those predictions usually change in a couple of months.

CalFire is good at that. Every year is going to be THE WORST YEAR EVER! Me, I always hope last year was the worst year ever. We're running out of places that haven't burned.

If it is a wet and snowy winter, the following summer will be declared to be a scary fire season,:crazy2: because the grass will be tall and burn. If it is a dry winter, the following summer will be declared to be a scary fire season:crazy2: because the fuel moisture will be low. No matter what, the prediction in January will be for an upcoming scary season. It might be budget driven???

Who knows? It could be like 1981, when we had a low snow pack and then it seemed to rain all summer.

Back