Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw they had Red Flag Warnings south of the Ward Fire, too. The Wildfire Hotlist has a pretty long thread about Fire Season Potential. It got derailed a bit when Fire was compared to war, but too many people need something to do. I got all of our Red Cards in my e-mail last week, we're ready to go. Only had to run three separate sessions of the class to get everybody through, that's a good year.

Funny, in that they talk about The Blob. Cliff Mass talks about The Blob too, but how the Media has it wrong, the weather isn't a result of The Blob, The Blob is a result of the weather. Splitting hairs, but I would hope NPR would take the time to get it right.

Cliff Mass Blog: Article

It is a different situation down here. While snowpack levels reached 4% of normal this year our rainfall totals are not any better. Because of this grass will be short and bunchy. Fire won't run as well and there may be fewer starts than normal. The big problem is extremely low fuel moisture levels. 1000 hour fuels will be looking like 100 fuels. We will likely be looking at larger, more intense fires. Hopefully mother nature has a wildcard up her sleeve. like maybe rains will begin early. If not then we will have to move to Warshington so we can water the sidewalks.

We had several in March, but then April turned off entirely normal. I suspect that help is going to be hard to come by, I think that the population of California is going to expand. Of course, the eastern half of the country will have people available to help. Wasn't it a slow year in Montana last year?

We've got fire restrictions in place in some areas already. On Tuesday there was a red flag warning up to 9000 feet. Now that is freakish. Mid april in northern Colorado and there is a red flag to 9000 feet. Sumthin' just ain't right there!

We had several in March, but then April turned off entirely normal. I suspect that help is going to be hard to come by, I think that the population of California is going to expand. Of course, the eastern half of the country will have people available to help. Wasn't it a slow year in Montana last year?
NW Montana was slow, not southern MT. They're hurting fir moisture.

A California inmate firefighter died of a heart attack today on a training exercise. Sad.

wildfiretoday.com has a short video showing eastern fire fighting using "brush busters", surplus military trucks converted to wildland fire fighting. There is some great chainsaw work being done and some cool footage of a brush buster burning. Oh and some footage of fat firefighters wearing bunker gear on a wildland fire. Those eastern boys seem unable to walk very far.

Really young, too, only 36. I hope he felt some redemption with his work as a firefighter. I work with inmate Fire crews quite a bit, they are the only inmates I have ever heard own up to the fact they are there because of their mistakes. Most prisons are full of "innocent" people, except for Fire crews.

Well, you know... There's always next week. Yeah, probably not. We're supposed to be pushing record highs tomorrow, then clear for most of a week with a transition to cooler and wet near the next weekend. Looking at the CPC 6-10 Day and 8-14 Day forecasts, they see wet in their crystal ball. But they also call for warmer than normal. Warm and wet may wash away all the snowpack gains we have made over the last two weeks...

Latest posts

Back