Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
braveheart-1024x661.jpg

My only kilt story involves Edinburgh, about a half-meter of snow on the ground, a kilt and boots as my sole clothing and a snowplow. It was not pretty for my poor, hairy balls.

Oh, and many drinks of various stout beers, whiskies and cream liquors. Still probably one of the best evenings ever.

My fire season is done, CA looks like it's going to burn all winter.

Wonder what winter will do?

I've heard two forecasts on the fireline. Bad winter like 96-97 -- or another weak winter, early warm spring, and dry long summer.

We shall see.

I've heard two forecasts on the fireline. Bad winter like 96-97 -- or another weak winter, early warm spring, and dry long summer.

We shall see.

Neither is good, but I would be begging for snow.

Back in the '76/77 drought we were fighting fires from June '76 through Feb of '77, '78 was a good fire as well.
El Nino could be a flop.

You coming up to Skamakowa next weekend? We'll be close enough to the river that you can throw rocks at the ships and make pirate noises.

I got promoted, to my dismay. I'm now the night tour Lt... Because the Catbuster Sr. is now our day chief. So much for just filling in for a few months while a guy went out west... [emoji53]

It *was* cool while it lasted, though. Driving the rig with dad on the other side, or being his senior man in the back was something I'll cherish for the remainder of my lifetime.

We shall see.
I think we are done, too. I suspect we will get about our normal amount of precip, but it will be warmer than typical, leading to a very low snow pack in the PNW. Our fire season will depend on spring.

In other words, for us, just like this year. I haven't heard anyone except The Old Farmer's Almanac call for a hard winter for us. Montana is enough farther east that the jet stream may dipping down through there.

I'm not a betting man, but I think that California is going to get damp November through March. Snow pack may be an issue there, too, I haven't looked to see if they have a snow forecast yet.

May I ask some of you guys, to give me a hint (maybe even a kick) where to find firefighting outlines, manuals, training handbooks etc.? Or even mail them? I can´t quite orientee myself in that little to none I can find. I´d like to educate myself as how you deal with fires over there. We have little to none, usualy very small, but when sth goes wrong, it´s f**ed up rough, broken terrain, things can get ugly realy fast there and the experience is abysmall overall...
Not that we don´t get our share of lightning strikes, idiot smokers etc, but mostly there is a village every 2-5 miles and almost every has a volunteer fire crews and dept., with engines and all-so they are there pretty fast and not much of the forest gets burn. So quite little where to gain experience...

Start here. These are the basic courses for introductory wildland firefighting, and cover fuels, terrain, equipment, tactics, weather, and all of the other stuff you need to know. Let it be said that they are no substitute for experience. I am not a fan of these online courses and would much rather go back to the old way of classroom teaching; at least that way the student can ask questions. Still, this will give you an idea where to start.

And a few quick words of advice... Don't get caught in a chimney, and if you're anywhere near a fire, get to the downhill side. Otherwise, just avoid them as much as possible. [emoji6]

Making generalizations about fires is not a good thing. Kind of like the discussions about falling amongst the inexperienced. Like trees, fire doesn't read the book--a twist of a gologit quote.

Back