Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Underestimated the speed of the fire and distance to the ranch, they left good black that wasn't going to reburn, and their escape route took them through unburned fuel at the point they headed down the drainage to the ranch. Loss of situational awareness.

They ****ed up. Plane and simple. I wasn't there, so I can't make an über-good judgement, but everything I know about Yarnel makes me think:

-They went the wrong way into heavy fuel with a fast moving fire.
-People make mistakes, and some of them lead to us losing people. This was one of them.
-Their spotter probably set his trigger point too close to the crew for the conditions, and the bug out went the wrong way.
-They made an error in judgement of distance.

The article makes it seem like those guys were too confident for their own good and got themselves into a jam they couldn't get out because of it. That may be true.

However, it's marked on our PPE that "firefighting is an inherently dangerous activity and this helmet cannot guarantee you safety." That is gospel. Safety starts with us. The problem is that we're human, and we aren't perfect and are effected by emotion. So people will continue to die on this job as long as we want to do it agressively and effectively. It's saddening, but the truth if this job.

Weather played a BIG role in Yarnell, T-storm micro bursts. Crazy things

The link below is from the Beaver Fire 2014 on Klamath NF, Calif

I was there and watched this sleepy thing take off after a T-Cell moved across the fire.

I was a responding Medic w/ Branch Director to an area below and to the left, we were unable to access due to the fire front. Help came in from above.

I drove them to their Med check at local hospital, with only minor issues, a very humbling experience and I'll leave it at that.. Be safe out there.

Sincerely , Erik

5a9f68345487714d09720fcefe6db62b.jpg

The snow is gone, so may be record wild fire this summer.
If I lose contact, I'll be in the Ugly Tree and when I fall I will hit every branch on the way down.

Probably flying out to the Kansas Oklahoma border with a ruck of gear tomorrow... Cats with plows will be waiting upon arrival. Could be interesting.
I'm not close to the border, but if you get in a pinch for ANYTHING, give me a shout. We have truck drivers that deliver down there or I'll drive there myself and get it to you and your crew.

1800 hrs last August on the CA-Sequoia NF

We're taking D6s and attaching 4-bottom moulboard plows to them. They'll have standard blades, but we should be able to pull a moulboard plow at top speed and cut a 6' line at ~7 MPH. I might be in charge of them, or I might be in one. Not sure yet. I will when I arrive.

My other probable assignment will be to be an engine boss on a type 1 around the chemical plants since I'm a haz-mat tech and they seem to be in short supply on the crews in that area.

Like I said, I won't be sure until I arrive. But with these winds they're talking about and how dry it is in that area, this thing can blow up on us really fast. Oh well. We'll see how it goes.

I'm not close to the border, but if you get in a pinch for ANYTHING, give me a shout. We have truck drivers that deliver down there or I'll drive there myself and get it to you and your crew.

I appreciate it, man. There are two big ass fires and I know the locals are overwhelmed, or they wouldn't be calling my group from Texas.

We're taking D6s and attaching 4-bottom moulboard plows to them. They'll have standard blades, but we should be able to pull a moulboard plow at top speed and cut a 6' line at ~7 MPH. I might be in charge of them, or I might be in one. Not sure yet. I will when I arrive.

My other probable assignment will be to be an engine boss on a type 1 around the chemical plants since I'm a haz-mat tech and they seem to be in short supply on the crews in that area.

Like I said, I won't be sure until I arrive. But with these winds they're talking about and how dry it is in that area, this thing can blow up on us really fast. Oh well. We'll see how it goes.

I appreciate it, man. There are two big ass fires and I know the locals are overwhelmed, or they wouldn't be calling my group from Texas.
It's everywhere right now, burning fields have gotten out of hand here, nothing in comparison to the border fire though. It's been beyond dry and spring winds are no help. I have a good friend in Wichita that runs the States biggest dirt work company on the equipment side if you need anything a little closer that way he may be able to help with contacts etc. ( I don't want to speak for him, but I'm willing to ask if need be )
Stay safe, you and the rest of the brave souls.

Looking at the wind maps and red flag warning map it looks like Kansas should be renamed Hell!

We got some rain yesterday which helped tremenndously-these being grass fires, but the winds are hitting 50 consistently and it's moving so fast we've had to leave the cats and tractors with plows at anchor points because it's moving faster than we can keep up with it across the flat grasslands.

This is hell. I'd rather be working in the PNW in the forest.

There are oilfield water haulers hauling water out here now. I think most of the fires in Kansas are about licked.

Edit: I'm now headed south to Oklahoma. Yippee.
We have a fire in the Bob Marshall Wilderness already. There should be 4 foot of snow up there still. . . I guess not.

Latest posts

Back