Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting that the article above mentioned the rancher/Fed alliance in NE OR -- the Zumwalt, if I'm not mistaken -- which is a pretty interesting model for how agencies and citizens have learned through trial and error to work together, mostly. There's ODFW land there, and BLM, and NGO outfits like TNC, as well as private ranches. Same historic scuffles, same alliances bred of necessity. This book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Prairie-Keepers-Secrets-Grasslands/dp/020140821X , while a bit outdated, has a good description of how that ended up happening.

Interesting that the article above mentioned the rancher/Fed alliance in NE OR -- the Zumwalt, if I'm not mistaken -- which is a pretty interesting model for how agencies and citizens have learned through trial and error to work together, mostly. There's ODFW land there, and BLM, and NGO outfits like TNC, as well as private ranches. Same historic scuffles, same alliances bred of necessity. This book, while a bit outdated, has a good description of how that ended up happening.
Bad link

Bobster! I owe you a breakfast since you sneakily took the check from the table and went to pay while I scowled from behind the glass of tea. Hard to run with a glass o' tea in your face, ya know?

Bobster! I owe you a breakfast since you sneakily took the check from the table and went to pay while I scowled from behind the glass of tea. Hard to run with a glass o' tea in your face, ya know?

Okay, fair enough. Next time around you are buying breakfast. Is lobster breakfast food?

Just got a call from the King fire. Couldn't take it, committed already plus Cody is working for the County as a temp. Bummer.

You didn't miss anything. They divided the fire into two sections, north and south. CalFire had the south section and FS took the north. Lots of overhead. Lots.

I'm baaack. Thanks to everyone that helped, especially Saw Troll and Mrs Arboristsite.

Yep it has rained some here in Cali and fall weather has kicked in. WET mornings are the norm.

Man I hate getting my saw stuck. I was bucking a recent blowdown yesterday and stuck my saw tight when the log rolled. Fortunately the truck was only 50 yards away. Still I was almost done with the job but now I couldn't carry two saws, fuel, and a water bottle back up the hill in one trip. My butt is still sore from kicking myself.

Yeah, very sad. S-2Ts were never built for the stress of fighting wildland fires and I would guess their projected service life would have ended 40 years ago. Replacing these aircraft is just too expensive for the state of California to afford. Thank goodness we have the political will to ban plastic bags.

Latest posts

Back