First post, first saw. How did I do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickanto

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Great site, did lots of reading before I joined. Here is the scoop. I own 400 acres of timber here in Missouri. For years I have been borrowing my dads little 14 inch Stihl to do chores around the farm. Mainly clearing roads from downed trees. I don't cut firewood now, but plan on building a house on my property within 5 years and using wood for heat. After all, I'm surrounded by it! After my research I was torn between a Stihl 290 farm boss and the Echo 590 timber wolf. I've had problems with my Stihl trimmer that is just two years old, finally after a bunch of carb adjustments and no fix, I drilled a pin hole in the gas cap and it runs like a champ. I really don't have anything bad to say about Stihl. I have had awesome luck with Echo. I have another trimmer that I keep at the farm and use heavily and it has never given me any issues. Use It a lot harder than the Stihl I keep at home. I also use a echo blower that has been flawless for years. After comparing both saws, I decided to be different and go with the echo. A little bigger, 20 inch bar and just 40$ more than the Stihl. Now my buddies have been bashing me all day for buying the echo, telling me I should have got what all the pros use. Ohh well, we shall see. Haven't cut with it yet, but it seems to be very well put together.

IMAG0230_zps9f6afd4e.jpg

Congrats on your first saw!

There are going to be a percentage of people that say that anything Echo makes is trash, and everything Stihl makes is wonderful. Reality is a bit different. Just stick with the basics of quality alcohol free fuel and lubricant, a properly adjusted carb and a sharp chain and you'll get alot of use out of the saw. Neglect those items and it doesn't matter if it's a $200 or a $2000 saw, it will perform poorly.

Nice saw........I like em.

[video=youtube;FuSNYH0-zpA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuSNYH0-zpA[/video]

Nice saw be ideal for the farm Echo makes good stuff I have a trimmer I bought in 1994. If you need any help with Whitetail deer removal please let me know.:biggrin:

If you ever need help with trees or saws feel free to give us a shout. Check out the ok,most,ark, tx gtg thread it'll give you some local folks

Nice Buck...Looks like you have big bodied deer..
What does an average buck in your area weigh?
Nice Saw...Welcome to AS..

I'd say the average for this part of the state is 140-150 field dressed. The buck pictured went 175 I think. My past five bucks have been between 165 and 195 dressed. Northern Missouri is more known for bigger bodied deer because of the nutrition they have. Unlimited beans and corn. I killed a Kansas buck that weighed 245 before I dressed it. Don't wanna turn this into a hunting thread but here's the Kansas deer.
dce759acdbe9ee86cac4e5091578ce2a_zpsb649d36f.jpg

Them deer are some serious hosses!! Good job on the saw choice! Not everything that cuts is orange and white, there are a lot of other colors out there! Welcome to AS!

Latest posts

Back