First post: Received varied comments re: MS260 Pro from the dealers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Climb14er

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First off, excellent forum! :cheers:

Been reading tons of posts and threads and the beta is phenomenal.

I've visited three Stihl dealers here in Denver and asked all of them what their recommendations would be for a guy like me who has big trees on his property and who likes to go to the backcountry and also cut firewood.

I also need to take the saw up around ten to twenty feet high and cut some of the dead and dying limbs on the trees.

It's ok, as I'm a former mountaineering guide and I do take my time going from limb to limb on the trees. Also use a 24ft extension ladder to get there.

One of the dealers recommended the MS250, or even the 210 for homeowner use.

The second liked the MS270 a lot but said the MS250 could be had for a lot less than the 260Pro and with the savings, I could get a case, lube, oil, extra chains and a bar.

He makes sense.

The third listened to what I told him re: what I like in tools and he said the MS250 would be fine but if I wanted a saw that takes the 250 to a heavier duty usage, though it might be a little overkill, go with the 260Pro.

So folks, any thoughts on what I should purchase?

The extra bucks between a 250 to a 260Pro is not that much of a concern.

I want quality, reliability/serviceability, lighter to medium weight, and cutting ability in a saw.

Am I in the right ballpark with these saws?

Last edited:
First, Welcome to the site.

Second, is your heart set on purchasing a Stihl?

Third, What does "Big Trees" mean? (to me that is 20" DBH plus.)

Fourth, that ext. ladder/climbing limb thing sounds scarey!

Fifth, the 260 Pro is a great saw. Has a great reputation, and with some care will last a long time. (Needs muffler attention, but you may already know that from researching.)

First, Welcome to the site.

Second, is your heart set on purchasing a Stihl?

Third, What does "Big Trees" mean? (to me that is 20" DBH plus.)

Fourth, that ext. ladder/climbing limb thing sounds scarey!

Fifth, the 260 Pro is a great saw. Has a great reputation, and with some care will last a long time. (Needs muffler attention, but you may already know that from researching.)

Thanks for the reply.

When I said big trees, I meant height, not diameter. Mea cupla.

The limbs I tend to cut are from six to ten inches in diameter.

If money is no problem then go with the 260. The only thing I regret about mine is I want it to do things it just isn't meant to do ie already had a saw in that class should have gone bigger. Pull the trigger and let it cut.

What brand has the best dealer support in your area? Stihl

What will the saw be used for? fire wood cutting, limb cutting

What size bar do you plan on running? sixteen

Is weight an issue? to a certain degree, yes

Whats your budget? not a problem

Are you looking for a new or used saw? new

Do you have any experience operating a saw? yes

How often do you use your saw? Weekend firewood cutter, once a month helping friends cut firewood, trimming the trees once a year, or are you feeding an OWB in the arctic and need to cut 20+ cords per year every year?

twice a month

What type and size/diameter of wood will you be using this saw for? six to eighteen inches

By all means get the 260 over the 250, it will be well worth the extra money - but Stihl doesn't have the best saws in the 45-50+cc class, the 250 and 260 are pretty old designs that lack in air filter system and anti-vibe areas.....

The 270 is better in those regards, but really too heavy for its power, if you care.

Last edited:
The 260 is good but if you go out cutting twice a month a 361 would be better. The 260 is small if it's to be your big saw.

It's going to be my only saw, for the time being as my old McCullough recently died.

I went asking around re: Huskys, and even the dealers who also sold Stihls and Huskys, two of them liked the Stihls better.

I could see myself in a Husky 346xp or a 359.

But it seems to be that I've come across Stihls re: better serviceability here where I'm at.

I could be wrong about this. But I've checked around.

I do like a saw that's not too heavy. This is one reason I'm leaning toward the 260Pro with a 16 inch bar.

Just checked the 361 specs... two pounds more than the 260Pro.

Would you go with a sixteen or an eighteen inch bar on the 361?

Last edited:
If it helps, I have nearly a 12 year old 026. Now called the 260. It has been a fantastic saw. I would guess around 50 cord of wood and lots of limbing/bucking. If you have quiet a few trees in the 18" diameter size, it will take a while to block them out. If it is occasional, the 260 Pro, will serve you well. I have cut up a lot of trees over 20" with my 026. When I didn't know any better, I thought it was the "cat's meow." I still think it's a good saw.

I used to consider my 026 a "big" saw until I joined this site. Now I consider my 441 to be a mid sized saw.

If Stihl has the best service in your area then go with the 260 Pro or the 361. The 361 might be a bit over kill though especially if the largest diameter is 18".

Try them both out if possible and then decide.

Good Luck!

You cant go wrong with either a 260 or 361. But Man...if you can afford that 361..you will NOT regret it. Only reason I dont own one is my wife gave me THAT look when I brought it up.:angry2:

Are you considering the weight because of climbing the ladder? The 260 is a very nice saw. The 346xp is in the same class, some like it better, some don't. I would go with the 260 since you have dealer support. You may find that you need 2 saws, the 361/230 would be a good combo and the 441/260 would be sweeeeeth.

Are you considering the weight because of climbing the ladder? The 260 is a very nice saw.

Yes, this is the main reason I'm favoring the 260 Pro.

This is also why I'm here asking the forum for their real life experience and suggestions. ;)

I'm only going with my gut and what I read. There might be a better alternative.

Climbing a ladder with a saw is not very safe....you may want to get a pole saw or some climbing gear. I'm not bashing you just hate to see someone get hurt....:givebeer:

Ms 260 Pro

MS 260 PRO is a great all purpose saw. i run my saw with a 20" bar with full skip .375 chain. it will sometime wear a 24" bar with .375 full skip chain for limbin or firewood duty. i threw away the stock dawgs and put a little more fangee set of dawgs on her. i also threw away the cheap stock handle and put a 3/4 wrap handle on her. aint a real power house but is good light weight saw for homeowner occasional use saw.:greenchainsaw: :cheers: :chainsaw:

Climbing a ladder with a saw is not very safe....you may want to get a pole saw or some climbing gear. I'm not bashing you just hate to see someone get hurt....:givebeer:

I understand and appreciate your thoughts.

Am not getting up really high in the trees though the upper limbs do need some pruning.

At fifty four, and with years of big wall and alpine climbing, I trust my balance.

In ten years, I doubt if I'll be doing what I'm doing on the trees as I do now.

I do take it very easy traveling up and down the ladder and on the limbs with the saw.

This is a big reason why weight and saw balance are important.

If you're set on Stihl, the 260 sounds like the way to go. Good proven design and will last a long time if you take care of it. I run 3/8 chain and an 18" on mine and its 10+ years old.

I'd hate to try and shimmy up a tree with my 361. Don't get me wrong as my 361 is my "go to" saw.

I would also consider the Husky 346xp or Dolmar 5100 as options. I haven't run either one, but I'd like to.

Latest posts

Back