First saw finally came. Now what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthewwtx

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok, so I've posted a couple threads already. paranoid about counterfeit and already jumping the gun and planning on making a little mill. I want to make an Alaskan style and maybe if I'm feeling real energetic I'll make a small carriage style.

Anyways, the saw is finally here! My first saw so I'm pretty excited. I had a quick look at lunch. No obvious damage, just a little dirty.

I want to know what you guys suggest I do first. From what I have looked up, I want to take off the muffler and inspect, inspect for broken lines, and change filter and plug. But, sense it is all new to me, I'm afraid I might miss something small and simple. Like for example, it came with bar and chain off, and completely drained. as I was looking it over, If I gave it a little shake in the air I heard a slight clatter. is there something in either tank or could bar being off make some slack somewhere?

Aside from normal consumables like fuel filter (the rattle you heard) air filter, spark plug, chain and sprocket , visual inspect for any obvious damage that would warrant retuning the saw. Pull the muffler and inspect the piston through the exhaust port. You can check the compression by holding the saw by the cord and seeing how long it takes to fall by its own weight. Wiggle the ends of the crankshaft on both sides to check for bearing wear. They shouldn't move at all. If that's all good tune the carb and go cut some wood. Milling is hard on a saw and when the time comes to mill you'll want to richen it up.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chainsaw-tuning-101.250802/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The clatter you heard when shaking the saw was, very likely, just the fuel filter inside the gas tank. That filter is on the end of a length of rubber fuel lineso that no matter what orientation the saw is in the filter will always fall to the bottom of the tank and pick up fuel. When the tank is empty, the filter will "clunk" around in there when you shake the saw.

I hadn't thought about it, but you do move a chainsaw in different directions and you need a way to get constant fuel. well that makes me feel better. maybe once I get used to this one and take it apart a time or two ill feel comfortable buying ones that need a little tlc. I probably could have saved some money lol.

Yes, but be careful buying extra saws. My first saw was a necessity to cut firewood for our outdoor furnace. My second saw was purchased for the purpose of a back-up in case the first one died. My 3rd, 4th, and 5th saws were given to me by friends who didn't want them anymore. I now own 11 saws and my wife, bless her heart, is being very patient with me about it all!!! I did have a little trouble convincing her that I really needed the 066! :D

Slippery slope my friend. Like you about 10 years ago I bought an 066 for milling. Couple years later found this site. I now have a band saw mill and many chainsaws. Lucky I make a little money with them but the wife's still not a fan.

+1 for pics and the slippery slope of the acquisition of chainsaws. I was perfectly fine with my 340 for many years, then was given a basket case 51, then bought a basket case husky 261, then my dad gave me his 272xp and 575xp, then i bought a couple 262's, then a 288......and a couple ms290s.....and a poulan.....

Oh, I can see this being a slippery slope. My wife was on board when I started buying up tradition woodworking tools, now I think she's starting to add up the $$ and not like it. Just because I haven't used them all yet doesn't mean they are not just as important as the others right? lol

Haha. I can already see it happening. I started buying up machines and power tools for my woodshop. That led to the chainsaw addiction to supply myself with cheap lumber. Well after 15 years of working power tools I realized some things are faster and just plain more enjoyable with hand tools. Started buying up traditional woodworking tools. Needless to say my wife is a very patient woman haha.

My wife was perfectly ok with me filling up the shop out back with power tools. It took a little convincing when I rolled up carpet in spare bedroom for traditional tools and bench. I kept saying no dust just nice curls, easy to sweep. Come our first kid there goes my air conditioned room, great excuse to build another building though....

Back