Flooded firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texican65

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
howdy fellers! My wife and I moved into our first house a few months ago here in Washington state. Not sure if anybody's payed attention to the news but, we've got some real flooding problems statewide right now. I put my next seasons firewood rounds in the worst possible spot I could in my back yard, they're all sitting in about 6-8 inches of water. Had them all nice and dry under a tarp waiting for clear weather to split them...then it started raining 40 days and nights. Mostly red fir, white birch, and some crummy poplar and Doug fir. It's all been down and in rounds for a few months, so still pretty green.
this weekend im going to move it all to higher ground out of the standing water and split what I can, trouble is, I don't have enough shelter to cover it all and keep it dry, other than a tarp.
Is it better to leave it in the rain in rounds...or split it and stack it and let it sit in the rain...I'm working on building another wood shed...just not sure how to leave to excess wood for now in the rain?

Thanks,

Dow

Split 'em, get them to high ground, criss cross stack for max air flow, cover the top. And that's about it. If you are planning on burning that stuff this winter, split small and be prepared to load the stove more often, and scrounge up some real dry branches, a lot, to use as kindling with every semi green piece.

Hey thanks guys. I've got plenty of bone dry maple and red fir for this winter. This wet wood is for future use. So, split it, stack it, and cover the top only so air can pass thru it...what's better a tarp or boards? And how's one go about criss-cross stacking?

Much obliged,

Dow

Either, thanks. So the sides are ok to be exposed to the elements and get some rain on them? Won't have to worry about mold or fungus?

Great, thanks svk. I've got deep woods all around me, and it's grey and dark most the time, not a lot of sunlight. I'll try to criss-cross stack it with a cover on the top where the sun shines the best.

First of all, you need to get a proper mind set, and realize that we have to work in the rain. Sunny days are rare this time of year. If you just moved here in 2015, you experienced an anomaly. It has been an unusually dry year and is not the norm. Embrace the weather. You won't melt in the rain and you will dry out. Being damp is going to be your new life. Save up your old toothbrushes. They are used to get rid of mildew that will cling to cars if parked outside. A couple years ago, we had the opposite year, we called it the year without a summer.

So, split your wood in the rain. You don't have to be out there in a downpour, but the normal drizzle should not affect your work. Stack it on pallets or something to keep it off the ground, and then cover the top. I've folded over tarps and used guylines to keep them from blowing away. You will want to build a woodshed. A woodshed is a good thing to have in a rainy climate.

I suggest investing in good raingear, goretex shoes or boots, and fleece clothing. Happy lights might also help.

Either, thanks. So the sides are ok to be exposed to the elements and get some rain on them? Won't have to worry about mold or fungus?

It'll dry up in the summer, we hope. The mold and fungus don't hurt anything, you just won't have pretty firewood. Right now I'm burning some alder that is stained with mold. Realize that alder will deteriorate quicker than other types of firewood.

Oh lord! You all are funny!!! That was a good laugh. I've been up here for several years, just never owned a home. Always had plenty of sunlight thru the clouds and dry space to store wood. Our house now just doesn't have a decent shed and doesn't get much sunlight. Very dark and damp. Anyways, I hail from Texas originally...so no...I wasn't raised in this kind of weather...but I'm learning. I appreciate all the kindly insight and wisdom.

Does it not snow down there?
that it does, an when it does ? say 2" or so schools are closed, business's shut down and most of the sidewalks roll up from the fear of unwanted enteries buy accident! their driving moto " go fast, clean out tires, stop even faster to creat heat to melt snow from street tread tires, and last but not least lack of driving experiance in snow!! LOL

Back