Flooded firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will say that it is a more difficult snow to drive in than anywhere else I've lived. It is heavy, wet gloppy snow. Whilst you may be able to drive like in a car commercial in the Mideast, three inches of our Cascade Concrete will cause problems. It doesn't blow out of the way. It sits and gets heavier. Then it gets rained on and becomes slush.
We have too many people who have moved here from warmer climates who don't understand that they are not in a car commercial and should slow down or that their Subaru might still slide after lay on the brakes, all wheel drive or not.

When Seattle gets snow, we rural people pop a bowl of popcorn, get a beverage and watch the carnage on TV. The Seattle TV stations will have live coverage of Snowmageddon instead of regular programming.

A mayor lost an election because he failed to salt the roads in the city due to environmental concerns. Those accordion busses are impressive when they jackknife on an on ramp.

Slowp..I remember that! The bus was going down one of the many steep hills in Seattle and couldn't stop...busted thru a concrete/steel barricade and was hangin' over Interstate 5. Good old mayor mcginn! They learned from that and are salting now days. I live in maple valley but work for the railroad as a switchman in downtown Seattle, so I've got to battle those crummy roads and even worse...the drivers. You'd figure folks that were reared here would be the best drivers in these conditions. Funny.

The thing is, not many people were reared there. I have done unofficial surveys and usually around 70% of the people in a group are immigrants. Last weekend, 3 people started talking about being from San Diego and how expensive it was there. That would make it 75% who are not from here being there. I think many of the Seattle natives sold their houses to Californians and then moved over to the eastside of the state, or to NW Montana. The Montuckians apparently call the north part of Kalispell, Little Seattle.

I lived in Graham for 11 years and did the tarp thing for 5. During the rainy season, Aug-Jun, I would basically have pallets with the wood stacked on and then I would make a tent so air could get in. After I built a wood shed life was much better. 4 cords with my riding lawn mower all dry, well dry for Washington standards.

Very true slowp. I'm an immigrant myself, although I didn't give up on where I came from in search of a better life or any of that mumbo-jumbo...I joined the military and WA is where Uncle Sam spit me out! I ve adapted and this is home for good. I hear it all the time at work though, all the old heads bitchin' about the Californians coming up here.

Thanks jaroh, I've got plenty of pallets to put the wood on. Do I need to put the pallets on bricks to help deter the termites and other bugs? Or are they gonna have their way with it regardless?

Dow

Even the native drivers have no idea on how to drive on bad roads. They think that "slow down" means from 66 to 62 and that a 4x will stop and steer much better than a 2x. Tain't so, they stop and steer not one whit better.

Harry K

Years ago I was in Seattle, miner little slush storm blew through (by my standards) standing on corner waiting for walk signal. watch a guy try to stop, side right through across street and into a storefronts plate glass windows. years back I flew into Dallas,Tx it was apx 45 degs there, most everyone looked like it was -40 to me it was springtime- not quite T-shirt weather. course I've been there when you could fry an egg on the sidewalk in the shade as well.

Years ago I was in Seattle, miner little slush storm blew through (by my standards) standing on corner waiting for walk signal. watch a guy try to stop, side right through across street and into a storefronts plate glass windows. years back I flew into Dallas,Tx it was apx 45 degs there, most everyone looked like it was -40 to me it was springtime- not quite T-shirt weather. course I've been there when you could fry an egg on the sidewalk in the shade as well.

Went to a brand new Cabelas 8n Houston once. Had to park in the back 40 on a brand new black asphalt lot. By the time I got to the store the soles on my boots were gooey from melting!

I dont know how the California reject are, but you should be glad you dont have to deal with the Half backs we get. A Halfback is a Yankee that moved to Florida to get away from the cold weather up north, found out they didnt like the heat either and then moved halfway back. Couldnt get along where they came from, couldnt get along where they moved so came here to make our lives miserable

Halfback is the words you use in public. Cant say what they are really called.
A few years ago, I had a runnin with a halfback. He was from New Jersey. Not saying all folks from New Jersy are this way, but this one was. I was doing landscape work on the side and he had a bunch of stumps he needed removed. I drove over to look at the job and give him a quote. While there, he got on a rant about some of the folks that had done work for him in the past. Needless to say he didnt have anything good to say and some of the folks I knew. Wanting the work, I just kept my mouth shut and let him rant. Then he got to talking about his neighbors and then the people of the area in general. Finally, I had enough and just asked him a simple question which was, Where you happy where you came from. The answer was Yes he was. To which my reply was, Pack your suitcase and throw them in the back of your car and take you a$$ back there. It is Very evident you are not happy here and I be damn if I would live someplace I wasnt happy. Needless to say, I didnt get that job, but it was also very evident that no matter how well I did the job, he wasnt going to be satisfied and I would only be on his next list of folks to badmouth the next time he had a chance. Interesting thing is, in a few months, he moved away. Where to, I dont know, and dont care. I hope he moved to Washington State. He might fit in well with the Californian's

Although there are good people there also, I find a lot of people from New Jersey to be very untrustworthy. I had two former bosses from there that were both total snakes. Had a close friend of several years from there until I found out he tried to rape someone we both knew. This is a person who has a family and a professional career as well, not some bum off the streets.

When I lived out east I found the people from New Jersey and Long Island to be the least pleasant. NYC residents were either good or bad with not much in between. Upstate folks are pretty fair people and Vermont residents were the most friendly.

I was very surprised to hear from some east coast transplants who now live in Washington that the west coast folks are even less friendly than those on the east coast. Must be the weather.

Never could get along with the east coasters , up state folks were ok - just always seemed to rub me the wrong way. Once down around the Carolina's it was fine. Got issues with a certain area in Il also. Haven't been on the west coast for 30 years it was ok back then - know its changed dramatically since then. Course all in all ain't much of a people person in the first place. Had a snow plow customer -new comer to area from I think Seattle or close by, Plowed his drive early morning per agreement course the city come through quite bit later. should of heard him complaining- ya he stuck his fancy sports car ( read almost no ground clearance) in the city plow wake, didn't even have a shovel of any description. Don't know his thought process as he had been here several months already. Couldn't comprehend why I couldn't get back post haste.

Non Chicago/Chicago suburb folks from Illinois seem to be pretty cool. In general once you get south of Virginia on the east coast folks are very friendly as well as most of the south. Again there are good and bad people everywhere but how you are treated as a visitor can really vary depending on where you are within the country.

I did something I have been proud of every since. I slid backward through a red light in Amarillo, TX 1957. Middle of a Blue Norther and I made the mistake of leaving the motel several miles north of Amarillo. Realized shortly after leaving it was a mistake but the visibility in that blowing snow was so bad I couldn't turn around as I couldn't tell if something was coming. I was well into Amarillo before I realized it by seeing the dim lights of a gas station going past.

Another time, San Angelo, Tx. Had an ice storm and I figured I had to get to work on the base. Roads terribly slick. leaving the apartment the street dipped mildly down into a swale and up the other side. I could hear the buzz of tires with cars pointing all directions. Tried any how and by treating the gas pedal like a poisonous snake idled my way through the stalled junk and out onto the freeway - it was at least sanded. Going up that slight incline people were staring and obviously wondering how I could be moving when they weren't.

Dunno why people think that it is good idea to floor the gas when they are stuck - doesn't help a bit and only makes things worse. I leanred not to do that by watching my dad dig himself ever deeper.

Harry K
Harry K

Went to a brand new Cabelas 8n Houston once. Had to park in the back 40 on a brand new black asphalt lot. By the time I got to the store the soles on my boots were gooey from melting!

I left San Angelo Tx on change of station. Had to stop at the bank and close accounts. Came out and the bank thermometer was reading 112 at 9am. I knew it was going to be a "nice" day as I was driving a 1959 Volvo, no A/C.

Harry K

Although there are good people there also, I find a lot of people from New Jersey to be very untrustworthy. I had two former bosses from there that were both total snakes. Had a close friend of several years from there until I found out he tried to rape someone we both knew. This is a person who has a family and a professional career as well, not some bum off the streets.

When I lived out east I found the people from New Jersey and Long Island to be the least pleasant. NYC residents were either good or bad with not much in between. Upstate folks are pretty fair people and Vermont residents were the most friendly.

I was very surprised to hear from some east coast transplants who now live in Washington that the west coast folks are even less friendly than those on the east coast. Must be the weather.

Svk! Yes, we are a rude group and hate everybody so stay away. Talk your friend into returning to the mideast.
Tell all the folks who are thinking about moving here that it would be a terrible mistake. You are so right on about this!

Very true slowp. I'm an immigrant myself, although I didn't give up on where I came from in search of a better life or any of that mumbo-jumbo...I joined the military and WA is where Uncle Sam spit me out! I ve adapted and this is home for good. I hear it all the time at work though, all the old heads bitchin' about the Californians coming up here.

Thanks jaroh, I've got plenty of pallets to put the wood on. Do I need to put the pallets on bricks to help deter the termites and other bugs? Or are they gonna have their way with it regardless?

Dow
I didn't really worry about the pallets. As long as the held the weight of the wood I was good. If not they became fir pit wood and I would find another. Pallets usually lasted 3 years under the tarp. When I left washington this last summer the pallets were all good with no rot. So maybe if you keep them really dry they will last.

Latest posts

Back