Flooded firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grew up in snow in central washington and was forced to live in the puyallyp/tacoma area for a few years. I was the one intentionally doing donuts around the idiots on the freeway in a snow storm. Hilarious to watch some cocky jerk fly by in his escalade with 22" rims and a couple miles later he'd be in the ditch upside down. Got outta there as fast as i could. I admit, i was a a$$ to anyone from california. Libtards totally ruining the state. Back in the mountains and snow. No use for rain between november and march.

I dont know how the California reject are, but you should be glad you dont have to deal with the Half backs we get. A Halfback is a Yankee that moved to Florida to get away from the cold weather up north, found out they didnt like the heat either and then moved halfway back. Couldnt get along where they came from, couldnt get along where they moved so came here to make our lives miserable
Dang! we was gonna move there.:rolleyes:

all these posts about drivin' in da snow reminds me of the Motherland (U.P.). A few months after high school, my dad gave me the keys to his '72 Vista Cruiser wagon, pointed northeast and said " 100 miles there's a good university, go there and be somebody. Average snowfall there is somewhere between 200 and 300 inches, so put some knobby M+S tires on the back with a couple potato sacks full of sand over the rear axle, throw in a snow shovel, coffee can with candles and candy bars, extra pair of boots, and off I go, ready for winter; that area is very hilly and some streets are guardrailed across the top and bottom as too unsafe to drive in the winter; got a real kick seeing all the freshmen from below the mighty Mackinaw come up north driving daddy's 4x4 having trouble with the hills and I'd idle on past with the ol' chick magnet, complete with the genuine fake woodgrain and Ralph Nader windows in the roof. "80% driver, 20% machine" I used to say. Fast forward a bunch of years and now my 15 year old says the other day: "Dad, I'll be taking drivers ed in the spring, so do I get to take the truck ('98 K1500 4x4) to school next winter?" We live 7 miles out of town but she has and will continue to take the bus (most of the time). My first bit of wisdom to her (and her younger siblings) is gonna be: " the only difference between 4 wheel drive and 2 wheel drive is that the former gets you twice as far in the ditch, and don't ask me how I know that". Speed and a bulletproof attitude/lack of respect for snowy/icy roads won't get you very far in the winters around here. I'm thinkin' about disconnecting the front axle and pullin' a couple plug wires before I hand her the keys next winter.

One of the joys of living along the I-80 corridor is the first really icy or snowy day of winter... doesn't matter if they've lived here all their lives, they instantly forget how to drive on ice every winter. Always piles of cars and trucks in the median and ditches. It's like touring a junk yard, only with a better view and more time to catch your breath from laughing before the next utterly idiotic dunce goes sailing into the ditch, trying to drive 85 MPH on ice. We wait until we see them get out of the vehicle, swearing and kicking the car, before we start laughing. Why do they always kick the car? It's their driving, not the vehicle that got them there.

all these posts about drivin' in da snow reminds me of the Motherland (U.P.). A few months after high school, my dad gave me the keys to his '72 Vista Cruiser wagon, pointed northeast and said " 100 miles there's a good university, go there and be somebody. Average snowfall there is somewhere between 200 and 300 inches, so put some knobby M+S tires on the back with a couple potato sacks full of sand over the rear axle, throw in a snow shovel, coffee can with candles and candy bars, extra pair of boots, and off I go, ready for winter; that area is very hilly and some streets are guardrailed across the top and bottom as too unsafe to drive in the winter; got a real kick seeing all the freshmen from below the mighty Mackinaw come up north driving daddy's 4x4 having trouble with the hills and I'd idle on past with the ol' chick magnet, complete with the genuine fake woodgrain and Ralph Nader windows in the roof. "80% driver, 20% machine" I used to say. Fast forward a bunch of years and now my 15 year old says the other day: "Dad, I'll be taking drivers ed in the spring, so do I get to take the truck ('98 K1500 4x4) to school next winter?" We live 7 miles out of town but she has and will continue to take the bus (most of the time). My first bit of wisdom to her (and her younger siblings) is gonna be: " the only difference between 4 wheel drive and 2 wheel drive is that the former gets you twice as far in the ditch, and don't ask me how I know that". Speed and a bulletproof attitude/lack of respect for snowy/icy roads won't get you very far in the winters around here. I'm thinkin' about disconnecting the front axle and pullin' a couple plug wires before I hand her the keys next winter.
When our boys were in HS they rode the bus all the time. No way was I going to pay property taxes that covered transportation through the school and provide a car for them to use to get to school.

When our boys were in HS they rode the bus all the time. No way was I going to pay property taxes that covered transportation through the school and provide a car for them to use to get to school.
You must have been listening in on the conversation between my daughter and me, as my immediate reply was "you'll be taking that large yellow vehicle to school even after you get your drivers license".....she had that quizzical look and I said "THE BUS", and she asked why, and I replied "because we pay a lot of taxes for you to ride that thing"......still not getting the picture I explained bus fuel, paying the driver, maintenance and repairs for the buses, and so on, and I said all the residents of the school district pay taxes so you kids don't have to walk to school like I did when I was your age......and then she rolled her eyes and said: "yeah, Dad, I heard how many times how rough you had it.....3 feet of snow, uphill both ways, one boot, yada, yada". I just smiled and kept drivin'.

You must have been listening in on the conversation between my daughter and me, as my immediate reply was "you'll be taking that large yellow vehicle to school even after you get your drivers license".....she had that quizzical look and I said "THE BUS", and she asked why, and I replied "because we pay a lot of taxes for you to ride that thing"......still not getting the picture I explained bus fuel, paying the driver, maintenance and repairs for the buses, and so on, and I said all the residents of the school district pay taxes so you kids don't have to walk to school like I did when I was your age......and then she rolled her eyes and said: "yeah, Dad, I heard how many times how rough you had it.....3 feet of snow, uphill both ways, one boot, yada, yada". I just smiled and kept drivin'.
Way to go @Johnny Yooper When You daughter gets around to paying her own way, she will come to understand you a bit better. you will be surprised how smart you get after she grows up even tho now she may think you don't know much of anything.
Hang in there. All of us who have grown kids have gone thru similar times with ours.

It sure beats the first time my daughter drove herself to school. It snowed that day and I was in my beater 15 year old pickup coming home from work. As I got close to home I saw a car in the median and thought it looked familiar but I had my hands full with the light rear end on that pickup. When I got home my daughter was there but the car wasn't and I then knew for sure where it was.

Way to go @Johnny Yooper When You daughter gets around to paying her own way, she will come to understand you a bit better. you will be surprised how smart you get after she grows up even tho now she may think you don't know much of anything.
Hang in there. All of us who have grown kids have gone thru similar times with ours.
Amen to that.

It's funny...........the older I get, the smarter my parents are :)

Latest posts

Back