Flywheels & Ignition timing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hexan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been using my "new" 310 for a few months now and have only been cleaning it externally, but I broke the starter pull cord yesterday and when I removed the cover, WOW there was at least 1/8" of resin on everything. Anyways, I cleaned everything up as best I could, but the flywheel needs to come off and be pressure washed (its the only thing that removes that crap).

My question is: If I remove the flywheel; will I have to readjust the ignition timing when I put it back on?

I'm not too familiar with ignition yet, so I was hoping that the flywheel was attached on a "guide" of some sort. So I could take it out, clean it and put it back in the same position without affecting the ignition or anything.

I think that unit has a cast-in key that fits a keyway in the shaft.  But there are certainly compounds which will remove the resin with the flywheel in place.  How about some WD-40 and an old toothbrush?

Glen

Have you tried a biodegradable soaped based product called Simple Green available in automotive departments just about everywhere.

Pour it in to an adjustable nozzled spray bottle, spray it on, let it sink in and give it lots of time to work. Turpentine would probably work also, not sure how it would affect the plastics however in this case.

Try a little ,spay on oven cleaner.Wear your rubber gloves.I use this stuff to remove resin on my table saw blades,works great,cheap.I would suggest trying it on a small area,first,as I don't know if it will harm the metal[probably aluminum},in the flywheel.

Try PB blaster and a tooth brush. That stuff will eat though it, no problem.

flywheel

I agree on leaving it on. That cast in key may break with an impact. Good suggestions from guys who have cleaned up quite a few. Take notice and save yourself the aggravation.

Thanx for the advice guys, I think I'll try simple green for a change. I ve heard nothing but good things about it on AS.

Stihltech:
Wont I risk damaging the ignition if I get water or simple green all over it. I have worked in pouring rain, almost in the middle of hurricanes, and my saws have gotten drenched several times. This doesent seem to affect them as long as I dry them up that same day. But I read a post that said that one shouldnt get water on the ignition and that got me a little worried, so I've been holding back on cleaning the saw's inside with water. What do you think?

ignition

Water will only bother a bad ignition. I wash of all the major repair saws with Gunk and a hose, including the ignition. Don't spray water inside the motor, everything else is just fine.

Cool
Thanx stihltech, you have no idea how long I've been waiting to take my saws to the car wash, or better said the saw wash...LOL

Latest posts

Back