For pure longevity & wood harvesting, whats your choice of these 3?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 270 is a good saw.Needs some work done to it to wake it up and be a little more reliable.Like them more so than the 290's.Not that the 290s are a bad saw but in ways the 270/280's are built better.

Just tired of seeing the same ******** half-wit pack mentality reign supreme when a guy asks a simple, but specific question and gets noise in return. Happens way too often here and doesn't help anyone...

My thinking also. The 3 saws he's asking about represent the opportunity that he's got in front of him at the moment. Throwing out other models or brands isn't addressing the guys question.

My advice would be to get one or both of the 29's. It's a far more proven saw than the 270.

Pick up the 029 Super, as well as the MS290. Sell the MS290, and make a quick buck (the 290 has as good, if not better resale than any other Stihl made in the last few years, given their original price). And for you guys saying that the MS290 and 029 Super are the same, they are not. Very close? Yes indeed. The casting quality is a little nicer on the 029 Super, and the port timing is slightly different. IMO, they run a little better. Saw Dr. did an EXCELLENT write up on the differences a few years ago.
I love "pro" saws as much as the next guy on here... But I don't understand all the outside recommendations for other saws. Are their better? Yep, but I definitely wouldn't dismiss what is on the guys plate, especially in the hands of a capable user.

I have an 029 super, its about 15 years old it has cut a lot of wood (well over 100 cord). I have never put a nickel into it other than bar, chain, air and fuel filters. It still runs great a couple years ago it got a muffler mod that woke it up a little. It has worn a 20" bar and RSC its whole life. I have been thinking that if it ever decided to quit it would get the 390 shortblock setup from baileys $160 and it would be 64cc, but until then im going to keep running it!

Jinxycat

I have owned a 290 and a 270. I liked the 270 for its lighter weight. Mine had a 20" .325 setup. My 290 had a 18" 3/8 setup. If I were to choose between the two for cutting alone, i would go with the 270 for the lighter weight. Although the 290 can handle a bit rougher treatment. IMHO they are both decent firewood saws

Ah...if I can just inject an outside view?

I don't know anything about the 029 - MS290 debate but the MS290 is a newer model and likely to be familiar to saw shops for maintenance.

Personally I'd much prefer a professional saw which are identified by Stihl models with even numbers. They also have grey handles instead of orange. 034, 036, 038 etc.

The best all-round saw (for the OPs information) is the Stihl 044 or any of the similar models. However if you want a lighter possibly cheaper pro saw then an 026 (MS260) etc has a very good reputation.

I don't know anything about the 029 - MS290 debate but the MS290 is a newer model and likely to be familiar to saw shops for maintenance. .

If you read the thread you will understand that the 029S and 290 are virtually identical, the 290 having flippy caps and a couple of other minor changes

Personally I'd much prefer a professional saw which are identified by Stihl models with even numbers...

I guess the 201, 241, 261 and 441 are not pro saws and the 210 is?

The best all-round saw (for the OPs information) is the Stihl 044 or any of the similar models. However if you want a lighter possibly cheaper pro saw then an 026 (MS260) etc has a very good reputation.

He specifically asked about three saws, not for an opinion about other models.

Sorry, I'm a little grumpy this AM.

I had a MS270 for a firewood saw. It was and is a good running saw and very smooth. I used it for 1-2 years exclusively and found it to be reliable yet underpowered with an 18" bar and full comp chain. A muffler mod and re-tune helped immensely as well as keeping the chain very sharp. I always found myself picking up the Husky 385XP just because I can immensely increase my productivity per hour. This year I gave that saw to my 13yr old son as his first saw and picked up a MS361 to fill the role of the mid size saw. I suppose skip chain may have kept the MS270 in the mid side role a bit longer.

I'd buy the newest, best looking one if the prices aren't all that different. I've never run any of these, but my neighbor said the Stihl dealer told him his ms290 is the most powerful farm/ranch saw there is, so it's got that going for it

I second the opinions above. I would buy the 029S and MS290 and sell the 290. I sold my dads on CL and could have sold and traded it a dozen times if I had that many. Got much more interest than I thought. Do a muffler mod on the 029. If it ever needs to be rebuilt you put a 039/390 p&c on it too. These saw are nothing fancy and wont impress your friends but are affordable and reliable. Parts are readily available everywhere. Let us know how you make out and show pics!

I second the opinions above. I would buy the 029S and MS290 and sell the 290. I sold my dads on CL and could have sold and traded it a dozen times if I had that many. Got much more interest than I thought. Do a muffler mod on the 029. If it ever needs to be rebuilt you put a 039/390 p&c on it too. These saw are nothing fancy and wont impress your friends but are affordable and reliable. Parts are readily available everywhere. Let us know how you make out and show pics!
Hmm...039/390 p&c on it eh? :D

He specifically asked about three saws, not for an opinion about other models.

Sorry, I'm a little grumpy this AM.

LOL understood. Someone asks a perfectly reasonable question and gets 50 replies except...all of the replies are slightly off the point. Happens all over the internet. Mea culpa.

A guy who lives near me and his son have run MS290's for their firewood business for years. The son does repair work when necessary. The saws have proved reliable and long-lasting. Of course, they weigh a lot for the power, but both father & son are 240 lbs. so the weight means nothing to them.

Back