Forester bars?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forester has 3 Pro Series bar lines...replaceable sprocket nose in single rivet nose and 5 rivet nose, and their laminated bars with non-replaceable noses. I believe the the 5 rivet nose bars are made by Windsor. GB Pro Tops only have 3 rivet noses. These bars are only available in lengths up to 24". Their Pro Series single rivet nose bars are available in lengths up to 42". The prices on these bars for the most part are not a whole lot less than an Oregon Power Match. However, the laminated bars are quite a bit cheaper than a comparable Oregon Pro Lite.

I believe they are POS from China by now, but that wasn't always so? :confused:

:agree2: Didn't have much luck with them, rails are soft, sprockets seem to blow out easy. The old ones were rebadged oregon bars. Now they are made in china.

Hey Fellas,

I bought a 20" Fores-ter Replacement Bar & Chain; #205072-X, for use on my ol' Stihl 041 Farm Boss.
If I'm interpreting the label correctly, it has a chain pitch of 3/8", a chain gauge of 0.050", and a drive length of 72.
It also says, "Replaces OEM Stihl #3003-000-8921, Mfr. Part # for Reference ONLY".

The label DOESN'T tell me: :confused:

1) What is the cutter type: Semi-Chisel or Full Chisel?

2) What chain sequence does it have: a Skiptooth, Full Skip or Standard?

3) What type/size of file does it require for sharpening?

My primary intentions are for cutting clean oak, maple & cherry; but at times, some dirty polar & oak too.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses, Guys! :cheers:

BarnieTrk :dunno:

Hey Fellas,

I bought a 20" Fores-ter Replacement Bar & Chain; #205072-X, for use on my ol' Stihl 041 Farm Boss.
If I'm interpreting the label correctly, it has a chain pitch of 3/8", a chain gauge of 0.050", and a drive length of 72.
It also says, "Replaces OEM Stihl #3003-000-8921, Mfr. Part # for Reference ONLY".

My primary intentions are for cutting clean oak, maple & cherry; but at times, some dirty polar & oak too.

a bar will not tell you what type of chain you have, merely the required info to fit power head and chain. Not sure where to start here.. do you have a chain?

If you don't. you'll want a 72dl .050 3/8th, obviously. Opinions will vary on the cutter spec., I'll pass as I do not cut hardwood. Sorry, did not really understand where you were with the question.

a bar will not tell you what type of chain you have, merely the required info to fit power head and chain. Not sure where to start here.. do you have a chain?

Teatersroad, Thanks for your reply! :cheers:

Yes, I have the chain, it came with the bar.
It is a 20" Fores-ter Replacement Bar & Chain; Part number on the package is: #205072-X.

I understand that different types of chain can be run on one bar. I just don't know anything about the chain other than what was posted on the combo package tag, as I stated earlier.

I'd guess many of the chainsaw gurus' here could likely answer my questions by just looking at the chain. If I could post a pic of the chain, I would, but I can't. I was hoping someone here could either back-track the part number (#205072-X) or was familiar with that package part number & be able to tell me what type/style chain came in that bar & chain package. :dizzy: :confused:

BarnieTrk :(

Hey Fellas,

Your combo would of came with round cornered "semi-chisel" 3/8s pitch, standard sequence chain, sharpen with 7/32 file. The chain is also made in china, and seems pretty soft. For cutting clean wood get some full chisel, you will notice a big difference.

Your combo would of came with round cornered "semi-chisel" 3/8s pitch, standard sequence chain, sharpen with 7/32 file. The chain is also made in china, and seems pretty soft. For cutting clean wood get some full chisel, you will notice a big difference.
Thank you very much, Keen! :clap: :yourock:
Yeah, I was reading on here where some folks have experienced Forester chains not lasting as long as they thought it should (soft). Since I already have it, I'll use it... I'll get a new file, keep it sharp and keep the oil going to it... so maybe I can get a decent cutting life out of it! :)
Thanks again! :cheers:
BarnieTrk :biggrinbounce2:

My 28-inch Forester bar says "pro series" on it. I ain't no chainsaw ninja or nothing, but I can read. Other than that, I got no answer for you. :dizzy:

Yea, today I was looking through the catalog and realized that. They have the standard "Pro Series" Then the 5 rivit Pro series.

Its the 5 rivit bar I wish was offered in longer lengths than 24"

Well, Guys, I just thought I'd report back:

Sunday, I went through 2 tanks of gas mix with my ol' Stihl 041 Farm Boss with it's new 20" Forester bar & chain cutting some ~26" diameter, Ash (I think) that has been dead for so long all the bark has fallen off - Man, that wood was HARD!

ANYWAY - the saw & chain cut very good! I even made a few cuts with the grain, causing a pile of long stringer shavings to be tossed. I'm very happy with this ol' 041FB, (considering that it hasn't been run in probably 10+yrs) -- but with a carb cleaning & kit, clean inlet screen & pickup, some gaskets and the new bar & chain - it now starts on the second pull and idles nicely. Once it was warmed up and I saw the chain tossing oil, I started feeding it some of that Ash, and it just wanted to keep on chewin' ! I was only able to pile some of the sawed wood into my tired '94 2wd Ranger truck as it made a HEAVY load in a hurry! :D

BarnieTrk :)

My 32" forester bar is ok

I bought a 046mag from an old timber faller and the bar on the machine was not in great shape. I went to the local stihl shop expecting to buy a stihl or champion bar but the salesman suggested the forester in 32" flavor. Its worked pretty well felling massive oaks and bucking about 40 cords this past year. It bucked about 25 oak and 15 softwood since feb last. The bar is still in good shape, better than my 046 is which is awaiting a new top end...

Now I know to not run her lean and on fumes or this will happen!

Regards,

SAW

Where is a good place to buy these bars for $30.00?

What saw is it going on?
What length?
Pro bar or Laminated bar?
With or without chain?

I have 5 Forester bars in service right now, one 5 rivet nose 24" model, three 1 rivet nose in 3 different lengths and one laminated model and all are well worth the money.

Last edited:
I personally run the 5 rivet forester bars and think they are a great bar for the money.

Any truth to the rumor that the 5 rivets are Windsors? I recently had a chance to trade either a 32in. ES bar with a new tip, or a 32in. Forrester with a new tip and I kept the Forrester. Both great bars but the Forrester was slightly slimmer which I like for general work.

I highly doubt they are made by windsor, but they do have the windsor style replaceable tip. The green labeled replaceable tip forester have the single rivet oregon style tip on them. I assume both of these are made by the same company in china.

Back