Forestry debris / slash causing damage in flood events

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiBro

Mill 'em, nails be damned.
Reaction score
Some parts of NZ have just had some pretty serious rain and floods. There are a few areas where forestry slash swept off the hillsides and caused serious damage downstream.

eight_col_20180605_101948_resized.jpg

This isn't a new issue. Location, timing, slash sizes all played their part.

What rules do you have in your area to avoid such issues?
I'm starting to think we'll see restrictions on harvesting seasons, not to mention locations of new plantations, and possibly the need to harvest whole trees and mulch all slash on the landings. If the latter, will we then need another round of laws to deal with more silt?

Some parts of NZ have just had some pretty serious rain and floods. There are a few areas where forestry slash swept off the hillsides and caused serious damage downstream.

eight_col_20180605_101948_resized.jpg

This isn't a new issue. Location, timing, slash sizes all played their part.

What rules do you have in your area to avoid such issues?
I'm starting to think we'll see restrictions on harvesting seasons, not to mention locations of new plantations, and possibly the need to harvest whole trees and mulch all slash on the landings. If the latter, will we then need another round of laws to deal with more silt?

I thought you guys mainly do whole tree and process on the landing? One way we get rid of the materials is to scarifying the ground before planting so the materials are piled to burn before planting. Is there any reason you guys couldn’t grind on the landing?
6c0bb8ff57f5061bd9fd3ed6ca33079d.jpg
d603dbc3a89b989efe02b66e240f05f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, whole tree is common but I don't think it's a mandated thing. Perhaps they'll stretch out the riparian buffers and hope that's enough. There's nothing but cost standing in the way of mulching at the landing.

Another way the guys are getting rid of the big piles is an end dump trailer or dump truck we all call it chunk hauling they’ll bring in anything they can to chip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back