Former Stihl fanboy now becomes Echo fanboy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chainsaw_Maniac

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So after blocking maybe 200 cord since I got my Echo CS 800, I've got to say that it can hold it's own against any chainsaw in its weight class.

I've been a big fan of Stihl for many many years, and have even got "flamed" a few times for telling people Stihl is the best (lol@ what I said on these forums years ago about Poulan vs. Stihl).

Forget about the Stihl 044, MS 441, or MS 460. The Echo holds it's own against the 90+ cc 066 or MS 660 (and I have blocked and falled many trees with all of these saws).

The Echo still has ca crappy chain tensioner, and changing the chain is a pain in the rear end, and the whole saw feels like the technology is 20 years behind Stihl... but the bottom line is actually cutting with the saw is awesome.

I have used the saw for falling with 24" bar (about 500 trees) and blocking with an 18" bar (I prefer short bars for blocking).

Disclaimer, I am talking about the 80 cc Echo CS 800 (or Us equivilant CS 8000). I cannot speak for Echo's small and medium sized saws.

never used the saw you have but the only problem since i bought two 590s about a year ago was one of my chain tensioners stripped out echo sent me one for free excellent customer service these saw have been great easy on fuel good power as well and a couple of my friends bought one after trying mine.
i hope echo release larger saws since they have brought out the 590 and 490 below 400.00 the big echos are high dollar around here.

The couple Echo's that have come in the shop all has stripped out adjusters. The parts are very soft metal and deform very easy.
The mechanic was able to source some in hand older Poulan adjusters that are much better quality to repair the saws.

I think the 500p is bulletproof. Never ran a saw as big as the 8000 but glad it's working for you. I wanted to see what all the hype is about so I got a husky and I am not dissapointed. The 10cc jump from the 500p seems like a lot more. I can't imagine what a 80cc saw is like.

Back