Game of Logging hostility?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ru55ell

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi: I'm new to AS

I sense that there is hostility towards GOL, Why?

I don't think loggers want to hear how to cut trees from people that don't make their living logging. Bore cutting is a hot issue, it's great when you need it, but boring every tree takes longer and is harder on equipment. So anybody going around pushing bore cutting isn't going to be received well.

The one thing I've noticed that I don't like is they never seem to teach much about looking up.

You have to look at the top of the tree to see what is going on and to see any hazards you may have missed during size up or to watch hazards that have been noted.

I don't think loggers want to hear how to cut trees from people that don't make their living logging.

Well said its more than the theory about the technique its also the time on stump that imprints if, when and where it will or will not or should not be used. Don't get me wrong I am all for learning new techniques it just the techniques that were taught to me were from fallers that spent their lives falling trees. GOL techniques are not new I have a old book (Loggers World the First 10 yrs 1964-1974) that discusses using the side boring backcut back in mid 60's so the old timers knew about this long before Soren started up GOL the differece is they used it when it was needed not on every tree.

Last edited:
it's ben hammerd out plenty before. i just don't like any one telling me to do something one way , there are so many variables to falling ,. i myself take info think about it , if it works itgoes in the book, if not in the can. just don't like people trying to save me from myself.

they never seem to teach much about looking up.

That's HUGE, in my opinion. I mean, the saw is in your hands -- you know exactly where it is. The top of the tree? Not so much. Boring cuts on every tree mean unnecessary kickback risks, too, which further takes away from attention to the top of the tree. Bind, lean, condition -- all important! -- but none of those things mean a whit if you get brained by a falling branch while doing some unnecessarily complicated trick which takes your focus off of what really matters: The Tree.

Also you can not move the tree forward with the back strap in place. It is impossible to move the tree forward and then cut your hing a little and then move it forward some more until you get a favorable lean.

I don't have any hostility towards GOL. I just think that anyone that say's this is the only way to do it is FOS. Trees are like people in that in order to manipulate them to do what you want them to do, you have to use a different tactic for each one. If you treat them all the same trees are like people in that some will do what you want, some will give you a little problem, and some will beat the hell out of you, and just one in a lifetime might kill you for treating it that way.
We have to learn to profile.............to judge the character of people and trees. Some need to be bored, some need to be chased, some need a little extra manipulation.

Andy

This one bored me with all the boring, no pun intended.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uRISkYLDvaw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uRISkYLDvaw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Those trees in that video are like vertical sticks.........

I wish the trees I cut were like those! Thats some easy work, almost seems unfair!!

Those are not typical in what you see in Western Pennsylvania thats for sure.

Craig

Hi: I'm new to AS

I sense that there is hostility towards GOL, Why?

I see that you've been using the search function to look for answers to your question. If you read enough posts you've probably come to realize why GOL gets such a poor reception.

We'd be interested in your experience with GOL and your reaction to what you've found here on AS about it.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uRISkYLDvaw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uRISkYLDvaw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Question: Why is it needed to bore those trees?

Statement: I imagine those could be had on the ground a lot quicker and just as smoothly without borecutting.

I don't think loggers want to hear how to cut trees from people that don't make their living logging. Bore cutting is a hot issue, it's great when you need it, but boring every tree takes longer and is harder on equipment. So anybody going around pushing bore cutting isn't going to be received well.

The one thing I've noticed that I don't like is they never seem to teach much about looking up.

You have to look at the top of the tree to see what is going on and to see any hazards you may have missed during size up or to watch hazards that have been noted.

I don't think loggers want to hear how to cut trees from people that don't make their living logging.

Well said its more than the theory about the technique its also the time on stump that imprints if, when and where it will or will not or should not be used. Don't get me wrong I am all for learning new techniques it just the techniques that were taught to me were from fallers that spent their lives falling trees. GOL techniques are not new I have a old book (Loggers World the First 10 yrs 1964-1974) that discusses using the side boring backcut back in mid 60's so the old timers knew about this long before Soren started up GOL the differece is they used it when it was needed not on every tree.

it's ben hammerd out plenty before. i just don't like any one telling me to do something one way , there are so many variables to falling ,. i myself take info think about it , if it works itgoes in the book, if not in the can. just don't like people trying to save me from myself.

That's HUGE, in my opinion. I mean, the saw is in your hands -- you know exactly where it is. The top of the tree? Not so much. Boring cuts on every tree mean unnecessary kickback risks, too, which further takes away from attention to the top of the tree. Bind, lean, condition -- all important! -- but none of those things mean a whit if you get brained by a falling branch while doing some unnecessarily complicated trick which takes your focus off of what really matters: The Tree.

Question: Why is it needed to bore those trees?

Statement: I imagine those could be had on the ground a lot quicker and just as smoothly without borecutting.

No, No, No, no, and no. And NO. :hmm3grin2orange:

Boring is just one more trick in your bag. Having done the 3 Levels of GOL AND CLP, they've learned me ( no grammar nazis please) more ways to cut: efficiently, safely, and planning your work flow including your escape route. I don need no stinkin danger....anymore.

I've worked with so-called pros. Many of their techniques (and from the above comments from you doubters, you too) are silly, dangerous, a waste of manpower and gear......and, old. Old. Like "file down the rakers, it speeds the cutting." It's the: "don't show me anything, I know". Good reason why Workers Comp and Liability insurances are so g.d. $$$$$$.

GOL and CLP teach techniques that include planning the fall, and yes, looking up AND around, using PPE the right way, but mostly maximizing your work. That is what the end game is.

Example: we learned rock climbing the hard and stupid way as kids. Lucky to be coming down for breakfast after getting stuck in a whiteout on one multipitch climb. Then the climbs through the 70's and 80's got tougher and tougher, with better protection and rock techniques, more reliable and lighter gear, AND the exchange of competitive info to make climbing safer while more difficult and physical. In service WE had to teach those hard won techniques to instructors too often hide bound to out of date Army manual regs.

The old dog new tricks thing. When you stop learning, it's time to not come down for breakfast.:cheers:

Let the flaming begin....................:angry2::cheers:

P.S. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, where is my spellcheck ?

LMAO... most GOL guys couldn't pack my lunch for the day. :laugh:

So... this guy can cut circles around any GOL guy I've seen... Big ass tree... 3 cuts, and on the ground in less than 3 minutes... No pulmb-bobs, no stupid bore cuts, and no wedges... He knows what he's doin'. So if from your GOL training if you think this is unsafe and "the old way"... you still got lots to learn mang...

You wanted flames... there ya go.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2x7MXn5zuEw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2x7MXn5zuEw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Gary

Last edited:
:agree2: i think some one just want's to poke at the hornet nest.

:welcome: The only people who are really impressed with GOL are people who just don't know any better.

If you're a greenhorn firewood cutter, a total newby, or some kind of wannabe poser who gets his manhood validated by playing logger GOL might give you enough information and training not to do anything incredibly stupid. Might.

The GOL graduates I've run across were a joke. And dangerous, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back