Game of Logging hostility?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was just wondering if all the GOL graduates start their saws using the 'nut cracker', method and if most of them cut those high 'backache Barney', stumps?
Lol
John

So I'm not following... if that guys way of dropping that tree is "boring" to you... i guess you just don't get it. Meh... you never will.

So apparently a 3 cut drop just doesn't have any "danger" or "adventure" or "daring"... you need a "challenge"...

Then break out your wedges and your mamby-pamby bore cuts...

special-ed-crank-yankers-audio-junkies-forum.jpg

Gary
So he did think cleaning the under cut was a boring cut. I would think even GOL would teach you to clean up your under cut. I thought he meant that Pats vid was a snoozer or something. Likes been stated all ready not much worth respondin to.

Here they "teach" other starting methods along with the nut cracker (perfect name for it btv) i went through what i might think can be like step 1&2 and consider them both as courses how to handle your saw and some very basic falling practice suitable for maybe a firewood cutter NOT a production faller would guess it's like that at you too !?
here the steps are ABCDEF were D is for stormdamaged wood and other difficult felling but still not for production ,,,

I look at all these courses at the same way as a drivers license in the aspect that the real learning starts when you get some hours behind the wheel when you put what you learned in to practice !!
And most people i know including myself felt i was an "über" driver when i passed my drivers license, it took some time to see that i had some learning to do about real life driving ,,,

Ps. John i had friend do the nutcracker with my 394xpgw without the decomp very very funny to watch a guy who is used to starting 242xp and 346xp saws use the same technic to start a big saw,, one pull and down he went :D
Laughed at that the whole day :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Just a question regarding qualifications etc.
Ok, I have sort of worked out that GOL is a multi level training program whereupon completion you attain a certification of your competence.
Does the opposing camp have their own training and certification program?
I assume that to be allowed to work as a commercial faller that you must be certified. Right?

Ok, I have sort of worked out that GOL is a multi level training program whereupon completion you attain a certification of your competence.
I assume that to be allowed to work as a commercial faller that you must be certified. Right?

Not quite. It's one of those testosterone things: "mine is longer" :hmm3grin2orange:.

Hey I don't give a F what you or I use to work; all that counts is:
1. You do an honest day's work.
2. You do it efficiently.
3. You don't get hurt.
4. You make the $$$$$ you're worth for your employer.
5. You enjoy at least 80% of what puts bread on your table.

Everything else is male tit stuff.......worthless.:hmm3grin2orange:

Now, you PNW girls want to crow about how testo you are, fine. No beef with that. But demean a real life training program that teaches you new skills to do your job better, then you're a damn fool.:sucks

You learn to learn. As you get into situations that could take your life, you get humble. Real humble. Like eationg humble pie when your pants get wet. One gets to look with objectivity at what can I do to survive. You want to blow air, fine. It's just B.S., H.S. gump. I'm going to do all I can to come down for breakfast. Many of us have been through life situations enough to know that (HAVE YOU ?) : it's never too late to get new info. Old dogs.....You want to run your 90" bars :bowdown: without real protection and boast, fine.

Hey Gary/Gologit: a bar @ WOT stuck into a mouth is boring. Boring. You hear ? More: put that top end of the bar where the sun don't shine ( that's your model video) is plain Deliverence stuff. Can you spell "kickback" ? You want to scream piggie, fine. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.:hmm3grin2orange:

Where's my spellcheck ?

Yes there are classes for fallers offered by the NWCG. It is mostly for fallers who work for a gov't agency both on the fireline and in general falling. I am an "A Faller" which means I am certified to fall 8" diameter trees. On the other hand I am also a certified wildland faller (no diameter rstrictions) for both CalFire and USFS. Unfortunately I live in an asbestos county and I'm not real interested in traveling so I may never be called.

Now, you PNW girls want to crow about how testo you are, fine. No beef with that.

Hey Gary/Gologit: a bar @ WOT stuck into a mouth is boring. Boring. You hear ? More: put that top end of the bar where the sun don't shine ( that's your model video) is plain Deliverence stuff. Can you spell "kickback" ? You want to scream piggie, fine. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.:hmm3grin2orange:

What??!

BTW I often, heck mainly, start my small saws by holding the rear handle with the inside of my right thigh. The rear handle is NOT in my crotch! I kinda left my right leg and point my toe and lock the rear handle in. When working in water or tall grass this is the only way to go. Of course it is not practical with a large saw and a long bar.

I do not like drop starting a saw by holding the front handle with my left hand and throwing the saw down. Especially when there are people working with me. And yes I start the saw with the brake on.

So John it is NOT a nut cracker unless you Canadians hang really low.:hmm3grin2orange:

I find that video quite impressive.
3 cuts,3 minutes and a tree of that caliper is on the ground!
No grand standing, no hoopla
3 precise cuts and that's it
He makes it SEEM so simple.

For logging, no certification needed in the US. In Canada, you need to be certified to fall timber.

In the US, you typically work your way up from choker setter and then get "broke in" by a veteran faller.

The west coast guys use tried and true methods, they've worked for over 100 years.

Yes there are classes for fallers offered by the NWCG. It is mostly for fallers who work for a gov't agency both on the fireline and in general falling. I am an "A Faller" which means I am certified to fall 8" diameter trees.

Is "A Faller" class where they teach you to do this?
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/14148.htm

Prophet of the decade award goes to geofore, who said to Lamebert in that thread:
"John you didn't say to look up once to see if a dead limb was going to break over your head before you do that."

Not quite. It's one of those testosterone things: "mine is longer" :hmm3grin2orange:.

Hey I don't give a F what you or I use to work; all that counts is:
1. You do an honest day's work.
2. You do it efficiently.
3. You don't get hurt.
4. You make the $$$$$ you're worth for your employer.
5. You enjoy at least 80% of what puts bread on your table.

Everything else is male tit stuff.......worthless.:hmm3grin2orange:

Now, you PNW girls want to crow about how testo you are, fine. No beef with that. But demean a real life training program that teaches you new skills to do your job better, then you're a damn fool.:sucks

You learn to learn. As you get into situations that could take your life, you get humble. Real humble. Like eationg humble pie when your pants get wet. One gets to look with objectivity at what can I do to survive. You want to blow air, fine. It's just B.S., H.S. gump. I'm going to do all I can to come down for breakfast. Many of us have been through life situations enough to know that (HAVE YOU ?) : it's never too late to get new info. Old dogs.....You want to run your 90" bars :bowdown: without real protection and boast, fine.

Where's my spellcheck ?

Dude, you have got to chill. Period. You're post has proven you have very little experience.

Here's the deal. I am an east coast faller, I cut big high value wood day in and day out in a production setting. I have cut with fallers from all over the country. I even have all 4 levels GOL training (but I only did it because it was part of my scam to get my most recent degree in 2 semesters and a hair more.... it was one minor part of an independent study)

I bore cut when I have to, as little as possible. I run my lead not with the lean but sidehill, i try to never have to dump trees down hill so I can back cut and humboldt as much as possible. I open face, I conventional (more ever since 2dogs and I agreed we rarely conventional, I guess thats just fate- eat your words...) and I humboldt. I lay my timber sidehill so I have to bore way less.

You don't need to hear this, you need to know when you've been outclassed. The GOL info is worthy of a 30 minute lesson to a first day faller. 30 minutes.

If you think that guy was boring his face, bull####. You have much to learn. Be careful as you take the steps ahead as you become a professional.

And a note to all the good folks here, I have learned much from you, thankfully, cause its sort of isolated just falling timber all the time. Its amazing what you can pick up from someone in just one day of cutting with an outsider, and here, discussing technique, too.

Have a good one!

Last edited:
Whew leave for a few hrs and wow some s&*t starts opening up. I gotta say this GOL is getting just about as heated as the Stihl vs Husky discussions. Well at least the person who started this thread found out what button to leave the finger off of next time. LOL. Great thread though with some excellent dialogue between some good men just need some virtual beer and this would be like Moes place on the Simpsons. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back