Game of Logging hostility?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha,,, these threads are so funny :)

GOL is a one of many good ways the get the tree on the ground and not any more dangerous the any other method ,,, I must admit i enjoy reading all these threads as they are hilarious to say the least :D

I which a safe start on the new year to all of you loggers out there :cheers:

I don't think GOL is the problem, it is their graduates who insult anyone who doesn't worship the bore cut as the one true religion. Ooops, I mean method. Most of the guys who post here will use a bore cut when that is the best method for dealing with a given tree. Say a heavy head leaner. But most of us don't work in tree farms where every tree is the same size (small) and will felled in the same lead. Also how do you stand up a leaner with a bore cut or jack a tree over? How the heck can I use a GOL borecut and a 5' dbh Douglass-fir on steep ground? Or how can I borecut a Cedar that is growing tight between 2 White firs where my face cuts and backcut is done with the nose of the bar?

GOL votaries will tell me I need to take a class so I can use the borecut in every situation. THAT is the problem with GOLers, their absolute belief that every tree will handled by their magic. And they never once looked up.

Hahaha,,, these threads are so funny :)

GOL is a one of many good ways the get the tree on the ground and not any more dangerous the any other method ,,, I must admit i enjoy reading all these threads as they are hilarious to say the least :D

I which a safe start on the new year to all of you loggers out there :cheers:

I have to disagree with this reply in that yes it can be more dangerous in some instances just like cutting a heavy head leaner down with the conventional backback can be if it is used in situations when it should not be needed. I agree with others that there is the increased kickback hazard, more attention that has to be committed to looking down at the cutting to ensure the holding wood is not cut off so your are at a increased hazard for getting hit with a falling limb and the other valid reason posted by others that have the experience to make those claims.

I just thought of an idea for to test the differences in exposure time and efficiency in using both techniques to illustrate. Just like all the hot saw videos let someone post a video to demonstrate both techniques and similar trees and time them as well as show how much the sawyer has the ability to look up and watch the top during the cutting process and see how the liabilities to using both techniques. Just an idea. Any takers with video camera's.

"I've worked with so-called pros. Many of their techniques (and from the above comments from you doubters, you too) are silly, dangerous, a waste of manpower and gear......and, old. Old. Like "file down the rakers, it speeds the cutting." It's the: "don't show me anything, I know". Good reason why Workers Comp and Liability insurances are so g.d. $$$$$$.

GOL and CLP teach techniques that include planning the fall, and yes, looking up AND around, using PPE the right way, but mostly maximizing your work. That is what the end game is."

Believe me I too have been around so called professionals and I do agree with some of what you say that there are a few out there that yea that is the way they were trained and will not change for no one but most of us on here have a open minded attitude to learning techniques to help with more efficient and safe methods to fall trees what you cut in Maine is different than what I cut in California so yea some of what GOL can be applied but would I use it on everything no and it not because I do not know how it because its essentially a slower method of cutting which comes down to more time under each tree for me and the kind of trees I cut(Burning snags and fire weakened trees) leave no margin for f&^(ing around with extra cutting when its not needed. As far as maximizing your work each of the techniques are what has come about over the years and GOL has been part of that advancement.

It all comes down how well you know your choice of cutting style/method "GOL" "conventional" or what you like to call it in your part of world non of methods are safer or more dangerous then person behind the saw can make them !!

just my 2 ,,,

the kind of trees I cut(Burning snags and fire weakened trees) leave no margin for f&^(ing around with extra cutting when its not needed.

Too true. Badly-compromised trees often collapse against their own lean and all common sense. Minimizing exposure is essential in these situations, as is keeping eyes to the top of the tree. "Best-laid plans o' mice and men" and all.

LMAO... most GOL guys couldn't pack my lunch for the day. :laugh:

So... this guy can cut circles around any GOL guy I've seen... Big ass tree... 3 cuts, and on the ground in less than 3 minutes... No pulmb-bobs, no stupid bore cuts, and no wedges... He knows what he's doin'. So if from your GOL training if you think this is unsafe and "the old way"... you still got lots to learn mang...

You wanted flames... there ya go.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2x7MXn5zuEw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2x7MXn5zuEw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Gary

You say what you're eating for lunch Gary ? You don't want even think of me packing your anything. :hmm3grin2orange:

Looks to me like that vid of yours is something called........can I dare say it in front of all these girliemen ? Called.................................................called...............................
"BORING" .
Nice example of that BTW Gary.:blob2:
More flames. Bring it on . :help:
Some of this is like the high school testo challenges: " ............no, mine is longer"
:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

P.S. Spellcheck.

I went through GOL 1 and 2, and I tell ya...I wouldn't be caught dead in the woods again with any of those grads. Some of the old hippy chicks who took the class couldn't even hold their saws.

GOL instructors LOVE what they're doing, but I think they love the money more and will let anyone take the class.

The main reason I took it is because the instructor is an old-time logger who I have met before and he's a real hoot, can sure tell some great stories. Being a GOL instructor has enabled him to stay in the trade that has shaped his entire existence (he's about sixty five).

I thought maybe I would learn something as well. It also gave me an excuse to be out of town from the old lady for a couple of days.

As far as the technique goes, I feel like I have a bit more knowledge knowing it, but honestly I rarely ever use it. The most boring I do is while bucking.

Looks to me like that vid of yours is something called........can I dare say it in front of all these girliemen ? Called.................................................called...............................
"BORING" .
Nice example of that BTW Gary.:blob2:
More flames. Bring it on . :help:
Some of this is like the high school testo challenges: " ............no, mine is longer"

So I'm not following... if that guys way of dropping that tree is "boring" to you... i guess you just don't get it. Meh... you never will.

So apparently a 3 cut drop just doesn't have any "danger" or "adventure" or "daring"... you need a "challenge"...

Then break out your wedges and your mamby-pamby bore cuts...

special-ed-crank-yankers-audio-junkies-forum.jpg

Gary

So I'm not following... if that guys way of dropping that tree is "boring" to you... i guess you just don't get it. Meh... you never will.

So apparently a 3 cut drop just doesn't have any "danger" or "adventure" or "daring"... you need a "challenge"...

Then break out your wedges and your mamby-pamby bore cuts...

Gary

But Gary...Logbutcher has taken all three of the GOL classes. All three!!!
And CLP too...whatever the hell that is. I think maybe we have an honest to goodness expert tree fallin' son of a gun hiding out back East there. And all this time we never knew what a gem was in our midst...what an absolute fountain of knowledge and experience was available to us. I mean...all 3 GOL courses. Wow.

I think we ought to send him to Pat. Maybe Logbutcher could show him a few things...you know, help him out, give Pat some advice, fine tune his falling technique, that sort of thing. He obviously feels like there's something lacking in the way Pat does things.

One request though...if you please. If it happens, I want to be there to see it. And remember, when the crowd shows up...I asked first.

I use the method that fits and the felling plan i have made in my head if that is a "three cut plan" then i go with that, but i can't see the bigger danger with time spent at the tree making the borecut and the "release strap" no matter how i look at it, the danger part as i see it is when the tree starts to move/fall and that part you choose yourself with the bore&strap while with the regular cut you still are cutting to make the correct hinge width when the tree has started fall ,,,,,,
I'm talking healthy trees with maybe some lean and other simpler issues and not fire damaged trees or rotten ones or other trees that need special skills to felled safe !!

Ps. i really like when i can cut with regular cuts without the risk of a barberchair and go for that as much as i can, just can't see the big danger part with the bore/strap!

But Gary...Logbutcher has taken all three of the GOL classes. All three!!!
And CLP too...whatever the hell that is. I think maybe we have an honest to goodness expert tree fallin' son of a gun hiding out back East there. And all this time we never knew what a gem was in our midst...what an absolute fountain of knowledge and experience was available to us. I mean...all 3 GOL courses. Wow.

I think we ought to send him to Pat. Maybe Logbutcher could show him a few things...you know, help him out, give Pat some advice, fine tune his falling technique, that sort of thing. He obviously feels like there's something lacking in the way Pat does things.

One request though...if you please. If it happens, I want to be there to see it. And remember, when the crowd shows up...I asked first.

Yes, the big ones have esteem problems. "All three "( count 'em "3" ) problems.

That's what is called a boring cut: looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, s___ts like a duck..........hey, could it really be a duck ?:help: Only thing: is that the top corner of the bar that expert logger is shoving into that mouth ? :mad: Looks like a recipe for kickback ? Then again, you boys are strong enough to hold a 660 or 372 with those oh so manly 36" bars from any kickback.......aren't you ?:deadhorse:

Getting it straight: CLP = Certified Professional Logger. Eastern Program that allows harvesters to demonstrate to the company/people/forester hiring them, that they have passed a program that teaches efficient, safe, technical logging skills approved by.......(can you guess ? ) a group of industry insiders: loggers, arborists, paper co. execs, foresters. Then again, you guys don't work for anyone, right ?:angry2: You've No need to make $$$$. Nice to be independently flush.

So, it sounds like Gologit, Gary and the boys know everything there is to know about their career. No more to learn, nothing out there new that could allow them to do the job faster, more efficiently, safer.

Fuggettaboutdit: " you can't show me nothing, you silly GOL 3 Level fool. " :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

P.S. Where's the spellcheck ?

i just did a rough search through the us labour and stats web site. it dos'nt look to me that us west coast knuckle dragers are getting hurt or killed any more than you east coasters . so do what you do we will do what we do. as long as every body stays safe it's all cool.

Yes, the big ones have esteem problems. "All three "( count 'em "3" ) problems.

That's what is called a boring cut: looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, s___ts like a duck..........hey, could it really be a duck ?:help: Only thing: is that the top corner of the bar that expert logger is shoving into that mouth ? :mad: Looks like a recipe for kickback ? Then again, you boys are strong enough to hold a 660 or 372 with those oh so manly 36" bars from any kickback.......aren't you ?:deadhorse:

Oh so when us west coaster/non-GOL acolytes watch that video we see the faller trimming his under cut for precision and you see him boring the face. That explains alot right there. Your world must not include trees the size shown in the vid and certainly nothing larger. Maybe you need to widen your gaze a bit.

Oh so when us west coaster/non-GOL acolytes watch that video we see the faller trimming his under cut for precision and you see him boring the face. That explains alot right there. Your world must not include trees the size shown in the vid and certainly nothing larger. Maybe you need to widen your gaze a bit.

Yup. We watched the video. He looked at the picture of the faller cleaning the undercut and figured that was a bore cut of some kind. What does that tell us about what GOL taught him?

And logbutcher?...the guy in the video would be welcome in our outfit any time. Even though he probably hasn't had all three GOL courses. The man can cut...simple as that.

i know i have not been a member very long but how long has this gol aroganst been going on. seems pretty pushy to me.

Yup. We watched the video. He looked at the picture of the faller cleaning the undercut and figured that was a bore cut of some kind. What does that tell us about what GOL taught him?

And logbutcher?...the guy in the video would be welcome in our outfit any time. Even though he probably hasn't had all three GOL courses. The man can cut...simple as that.

Yup... almost not even worth the time to type this out in a response to him. I had a feeling he thought that cleanin' out the face was a "bore" cut... Now I know he's clueless...

Pat... I hope you don't mind me usin' your vids as examples. But your skills in West Coast timber fallin' are above par.

Gary

I got to spend a half a day on the same site as a GOL graduate last fall. Personally I thought he was a joke. I'm no falling expert by any means, but fell my share cutting firewood. This guy's production in an afternoon was prolly about half of what my cousin who is a third generation oak logger who has never seen a class.
I might have a use for a bore cut once in a blue moon, the rest I fall as demonstrated on the video Gary shared. It's the individual who goes to these classes, they brainwash them into bashing/branding anyone who hasn't gone as ignorant and not knowing what they are doing although the guy who hasn't went might have three time the expierence in the woods. I can't think of a time I have cut a tree that I didn't plan where it would fall, don't need a class for that.
The most important thing to use in falling is common sense and recognize your limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back