Game of Logging hostility?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You may not know this but Soren Eriksson was laughed out of the west when he was brought over by Weyerhaeuser to show the pro's out west his new better and safer method to fall trees. He demonstrated the use of a falling belt rather than an axe & wedge. Which has tongs attached that will fit into your back-cut. You help push the tree over when you stand up. Oh yeah, the tree he was demonstrating on was really small. When Soren was asked how to use that method on a bigger tree he had no answer, other than that he had never fell a tree that big before.

When something goes wrong with axe and wedge, you can drop the axe and run away. Is this falling belt wrapped around your body? Can you let go of it in 1/10 of a second or less?

When something goes wrong with axe and wedge, you can drop the axe and run away. Is this falling belt wrapped around your body? Can you let go of it in 1/10 of a second or less?

It wasn't a belt to hold your axe and wedges with. The belt was for what the axe and wedges should be doing. You would have to squat down, stick the tongs in the backcut, then stand up to lift the tree over. So yes it's wrapped around your body and no you couldn't run away.

I believe the falling lever or whatever they call it is what has replaced the belt. Which yet again is another tool designed for small trees.

It wasn't a belt to hold your axe and wedges with. The belt was for what the axe and wedges should be doing. You would have to squat down, stick the tongs in the backcut, then stand up to lift the tree over. So yes it's wrapped around your body and no you couldn't run away.

I believe the falling lever or whatever they call it is what has replaced the belt. Which yet again is another tool designed for small trees.

Falling belt? People actually used such a thing? Sounds like a good way to get smushed.

Is this orange bar what you're referring to? And yes, these be small trees indeed.

DSC00198.jpg

That's not the "danger" most of us who have been know Blitzen. Real danger is not "in the woods" unless you talk like some do about logging. Danger is when you have no choices, a mission, a duty, an obligation to your team. Ask. Maybe you need some real life without all this ignorant adolescent put down of things you don't know jack about. YOU need to get out. Step away from the computer. And that's an order Blitz. :notrolls2:

So you cut at 1/2 speed ? Don't feel you need to look up and around ? Can't and won't absorb any new info ? Know it all ? Dead giveaways for not hiring on any team . Then again, you boys know all there is to know about felling, the industry, saws,......and life. Oh, forgot, you don't need to make a buck.:help::help:

I'm dismissed and pi$$ed.:deadhorse:

Where's my spellcheck ?

Who the hell is blitzen? check the tag. I'm all about the new info and new ideas. GOL ain't it, but you think its the end all. Seems you're always in here to pick a fight. Last thread you showed up in you started calling me names when I wasn't even refering to you in any way. I could give a damn about your jarhead status. Good for you. You bought the ticket and took the ride. Why don't you show us some of your work in pic/vid form instead of all the wet paper bag threats. You're the one who brought up "no danger falling". I don't know what your past life has to do with GOL anyway. Maybe your brain is more hard-wired to the machine like discipline of GOL tactics. Eh whatever. The game of old bags gets old. New idea from your camp?

Hey Hammer I see you down there. Hows the wood moving down your way these days? Last week it was hard moving and breaking early at 15 degrees, warmed up to about 35-40 and it was free swinging! Back to slow again. 5 degrees last night.

Damn slow computer! Looks like I missed.

Last edited:
Not quite. It's one of those testosterone things: "mine is longer" :hmm3grin2orange:.

Hey I don't give a F what you or I use to work; all that counts is:
1. You do an honest day's work.
2. You do it efficiently.
3. You don't get hurt.
4. You make the $$$$$ you're worth for your employer.
5. You enjoy at least 80% of what puts bread on your table.

Everything else is male tit stuff.......worthless.:hmm3grin2orange:

Now, you PNW girls want to crow about how testo you are, fine. No beef with that. But demean a real life training program that teaches you new skills to do your job better, then you're a damn fool.:sucks

You learn to learn. As you get into situations that could take your life, you get humble. Real humble. Like eationg humble pie when your pants get wet. One gets to look with objectivity at what can I do to survive. You want to blow air, fine. It's just B.S., H.S. gump. I'm going to do all I can to come down for breakfast. Many of us have been through life situations enough to know that (HAVE YOU ?) : it's never too late to get new info. Old dogs.....You want to run your 90" bars :bowdown: without real protection and boast, fine.

Hey Gary/Gologit: a bar @ WOT stuck into a mouth is boring. Boring. You hear ? More: put that top end of the bar where the sun don't shine ( that's your model video) is plain Deliverence stuff. Can you spell "kickback" ? You want to scream piggie, fine. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.:hmm3grin2orange:

Where's my spellcheck ?

No, we PNW "girls" don't need any testosterone. Heck, I'm busy drinking soy milk (yuckers) and eating spinach (semi yuckers) to offset that thing that happens when "girls" get old.

Quit your supposed to be insults and use some logic. How can you possibly fall trees fast enough using a bore cut, or safely without looking up occasionally? Just answer without insults please.

Now on another topic, our training out here in the PNW is more like an apprenticeship. Fathers have had their sons follow along, packing gear. Others work in the rigging, which is better yet as then they learn how important it is to directionally fall for efficient yarding.

How do the employers know they are hiring good fallers? Well, we have a thing known as reputation out here. Word gets around, potential employers ask around. They even consult us girls! Heavens! :heart: Even we can tell who is good and who is not. I keep a list in my head of who is good and who is scary (stay far away from) because I have to venture down to do work in the same area.

Washington and Oregon have logger accredation (sp?) programs. They are sponsored by the Association of Oregon Loggers and the Warshington Contract Loggers Association. One goes to classes on a subject and gets credits to it. A certain amount of credits are required each year to keep up the accredation. Geez bad spelling bothers but I'm too lazy to get out the dictionary, which is the ONLY reliable spell check.

I'm curious. Is the cut it and run like hell method taught at GOL? :heart::heart:

If it works for you, go for it. But I don't see such a method catching on in the real world out here.

Good Lord!!!

This place is full of foul mouthed, illmannered, ignorant punks.

I'm sorry my friends, I will not be a party to such things, the place we used to call our own, is no longer happy.

You're entirely correct... I should apologize.. Everybody listening????

I'm sorry to any retards who I have offended. :bowdown:

Quit calling me a retard, oops I am about to miss my shorter than average bus....:bang:

Good Lord!!!

I'm sorry my friends, I will not be a party to such things, the place we used to call our own, is no longer happy.

It isn't a very happy place is it? I'm sorry, I used the HE double toothpicks word.
But it was used as it is in the woods.

I like the Happy Place. I shall have to post more pictures after my root canal which is today.

Falling belt? People actually used such a thing? Sounds like a good way to get smushed.

That's what I thought, but it seemed too scary to believe so I asked for clarification.
What fool would attach himself to a device that's wedged in a falling tree?
At least those pry bar things don't lock you in place when the tree sits back on them, you just let go of the handle.

I did not read all this.

Biggest gripe I have with GOL is logging is NOT a game.

It isn't a very happy place is it? I'm sorry, I used the HE double toothpicks word.
But it was used as it is in the woods.

I like the Happy Place. I shall have to post more pictures after my root canal which is today.

i hope your dentist gives ya something to help with that happy place. and i hope everybody stays here in this happy place.

i think a big part of working in the wood is using commonsense and instinct. all the training in the world won't keep you safe if you don't have it. there's a lot of people in the world don't have it. just my take on it.

mystical boring experience

I'll throw in a change. This was a beautiful moment

I am now cutting on one of the most beautiful areas of the Appalachians. This unit is maybe at about 3600' in a range where 6000' is tops. So far its all gravy. Off today, a little snow, and a little warm, with only 2-3 days left on the unit there is no reason to muck the hell out of it.

Yesterday.
Arrived to the site before light.
Dropped off the day's gear on the side of haul road, above my morning strip.
Parked the truck out of the way and walked back, dropped in, and meandered over to my first tree. Gray light and all the stems are black, but you can see now. Sunrise is straight out the hill, pink glow on the horizon and purple pink clouds layered in the distance.
East facing slope, 34" or so red oak butt, cutting it sidehill, faced to the south. I cut a deep conventional face in it to help pull it sidehill, veneer tree. I had to bore this stem due to lean, and being veneer.
Since the butt was too big to bore through with my 32" bar, I cut the offside by boring through my face and out the offside.
I bored in the face, I got down low and watched my work, pearing deep,into the dark face, bar punched out the offside. I eased her forward to establish my triangle post hinge for my offside and then began cutting toward the back to get all the offside I wouldn't be able to reach from the good side.

I was watching this progres through the face and once I'd cut a few inches out of the back and the sawdust poofed clear of the kerf in front, shear beauty shone through. I swear to the almighty that dark face I was pearing into all of a sudden was glowing full of the dawn pink purple light pouring through my bored face offside cut kerf, I paused, the silver chain glinted the light. I thought holy #### that was beautiful, paused, then hammered on.

That was boring.
Moments like that is why I love my job.
Not to mention the 14,000mbf/acre flat ground poplar patch I was cutting in at the end of the day!!!

I'll throw in a change. This was a beautiful moment

I am now cutting on one of the most beautiful areas of the Appalachians. This unit is maybe at about 3600' in a range where 6000' is tops. So far its all gravy. Off today, a little snow, and a little warm, with only 2-3 days left on the unit there is no reason to muck the hell out of it.

Yesterday.
Arrived to the site before light.
Dropped off the day's gear on the side of haul road, above my morning strip.
Parked the truck out of the way and walked back, dropped in, and meandered over to my first tree. Gray light and all the stems are black, but you can see now. Sunrise is straight out the hill, pink glow on the horizon and purple pink clouds layered in the distance.
East facing slope, 34" or so red oak butt, cutting it sidehill, faced to the south. I cut a deep conventional face in it to help pull it sidehill, veneer tree. I had to bore this stem due to lean, and being veneer.
Since the butt was too big to bore through with my 32" bar, I cut the offside by boring through my face and out the offside.
I bored in the face, I got down low and watched my work, pearing deep,into the dark face, bar punched out the offside. I eased her forward to establish my triangle post hinge for my offside and then began cutting toward the back to get all the offside I wouldn't be able to reach from the good side.

I was watching this progres through the face and once I'd cut a few inches out of the back and the sawdust poofed clear of the kerf in front, shear beauty shone through. I swear to the almighty that dark face I was pearing into all of a sudden was glowing full of the dawn pink purple light pouring through my bored face offside cut kerf, I paused, the silver chain glinted the light. I thought holy #### that was beautiful, paused, then hammered on.

That was boring.
Moments like that is why I love my job.
Not to mention the 14,000mbf/acre flat ground poplar patch I was cutting in at the end of the day!!!

that's a happy place.:)

Good Lord!!!

Feeling the same way.

Too much rude behavior recently for my liking.

Can a Happy Place be a Funny Place?

Thread drift to Happy Places.

I just got home after two hours in the dentist chair. The dentist is good here, his people numb things sufficiently, but there was one point where I needed a Happy Place.

There's one of those inspirational type deep thinking posters tacked to the ceiling.
It shows the crowns of trees and sky. One of the people that work at the dentist is the mother and wife of a couple of loggers I know. I heard her mention her son's name. So, I'm looking at the tree tops, hearing that name and suddenly the episode of him yelling an unoriginal word over and over after getting his saw stuck and possibly crushed pops into my brain. I almost start giggling.

Is that a Happy Place? Or a Funny Place? Are the two different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back