Game of Logging hostility?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll throw in a change. This was a beautiful moment

I am now cutting on one of the most beautiful areas of the Appalachians. This unit is maybe at about 3600' in a range where 6000' is tops. So far its all gravy. Off today, a little snow, and a little warm, with only 2-3 days left on the unit there is no reason to muck the hell out of it.

Yesterday.
Arrived to the site before light.
Dropped off the day's gear on the side of haul road, above my morning strip.
Parked the truck out of the way and walked back, dropped in, and meandered over to my first tree. Gray light and all the stems are black, but you can see now. Sunrise is straight out the hill, pink glow on the horizon and purple pink clouds layered in the distance.
East facing slope, 34" or so red oak butt, cutting it sidehill, faced to the south. I cut a deep conventional face in it to help pull it sidehill, veneer tree. I had to bore this stem due to lean, and being veneer.
Since the butt was too big to bore through with my 32" bar, I cut the offside by boring through my face and out the offside.
I bored in the face, I got down low and watched my work, pearing deep,into the dark face, bar punched out the offside. I eased her forward to establish my triangle post hinge for my offside and then began cutting toward the back to get all the offside I wouldn't be able to reach from the good side.

I was watching this progres through the face and once I'd cut a few inches out of the back and the sawdust poofed clear of the kerf in front, shear beauty shone through. I swear to the almighty that dark face I was pearing into all of a sudden was glowing full of the dawn pink purple light pouring through my bored face offside cut kerf, I paused, the silver chain glinted the light. I thought holy #### that was beautiful, paused, then hammered on.

That was boring.
Moments like that is why I love my job.
Not to mention the 14,000mbf/acre flat ground poplar patch I was cutting in at the end of the day!!!

Im itching now. . .

i think a big part of working in the wood is using commonsense and instinct. all the training in the world won't keep you safe if you don't have it. there's a lot of people in the world don't have it. just my take on it.

Very true, everything about the job is dangerous, whether it's the saw, the trees or others around you.
Everything is a calulated risk, but this is why we love it.
However, since I got hurt I look at every tree with apprehension regardless of size even though I haven't cut any down since.
Does this mean I need some post injury therapy? I think that means just getting back in the woods and putting it behind me. Lol
John

Very true, everything about the job is dangerous, whether it's the saw, the trees or others around you.
Everything is a calulated risk, but this is why we love it.
However, since I got hurt I look at every tree with apprehension regardless of size even though I haven't cut any down since.
Does this mean I need some post injury therapy? I think that means just getting back in the woods and putting it behind me. Lol
John

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder?
BTW, did you see my post a few pages back, where I drug up a thread of yours about quickly cutting 8" stems, and where somebody told you a limb might fall on your head?

Directional falling

Hilarious thread! But, anyone explain to me why it took 6 pages before anyone (slowp) mentioned the importance of falling for efficient yarding?? We log 26,000 cubic meters a year in BC coastal mountains, and the falling direction for yarding is of paramount importance to a faller; established during pre-work on every cut-block. Boring/standard-cut, all decided for each tree to meet efficiency. I don't see what all the argument is about. Don't you all do what you gotta do, no matter what the training?

Biggest tree our pres cut in his career was 24' diameter, Vancouver Island. Seems that needs every technique you can use, including boring a hole for the saw to get in!

Gee girls, I thot you'd all gotten over this.....long ago. Still wads your panties, huh ?:monkey:

Apologies, for you men's men thinking that I just slithered away with tail between the legs. Been on assignment, kinda like work ( work ? ) without the time to hemhorroid (where's the spellcheck when I need it ? :mad: )my way on the PC like the usual suspects of venom and danger-in-the-woods boys: gologit, hammer, Gary, blitzen, forestryworks, 2dogs, and other of the put-down PNW crowd. "We cut big timber. Our bars are longer than yours, you silly puny, non-pro":deadhorse:

Have you figured out what a Straw Dog is yet ? No ? Look it up. Thimk. All this assuming that someone dares to mention other ways to fell. Can you imagine ?

With this macho posturing let's do a little comparison: big timber only grows in your region. Smaller stuff in the rest of the world. Different techniques, shorter bars, same difficulty and danger IF it's done wrong. PNW weather to us is sissy stuff, warm and wet: no below zero, no heavy snow, no water holes under the ice or snow that gear falls into, no ice to deal with getting your harvest out to the roads. ( Look at the vids of the Pelletiers in northern Maine---my territory. None of this macho or "danger" fool stuff for them. It's a job. ) You want macho danger, let's talk cold and snow and ice ?

So, you need to build up your machismo with put downs of other skills, fine. It's a Straw Dog you set up; no real pros use any one technique only (except of course, those who can't/won't/don't have an open mind for any new skill :monkey: ). That's your trip. Sometimes we bore, sometimes undercuts, sometimes no open mouths, sometimes tiny bars for tiny trees under 16" DBH like much of northern Europe. It's the logger's skill using what works. GOL techniques work WHEN NEEDED.

Frankly, all of your posturing online is baby drool. :dizzy:

Flame away. Maybe I can get that spellcheck back to spell "hemmhorroid".:cry:

This thread is getting..................................................................................................
BORING.:spam:

Hilarious thread! But, anyone explain to me why it took 6 pages before anyone (slowp) mentioned the importance of falling for efficient yarding?? We log 26,000 cubic meters a year in BC coastal mountains, and the falling direction for yarding is of paramount importance to a faller; established during pre-work on every cut-block. Boring/standard-cut, all decided for each tree to meet efficiency. I don't see what all the argument is about. Don't you all do what you gotta do, no matter what the training?

Biggest tree our pres cut in his career was 24' diameter, Vancouver Island. Seems that needs every technique you can use, including boring a hole for the saw to get in!

Maybe cuz I'm not a faller? :)

Every year there seems to be a problem with a faller coming in and not understanding the need to lay the trees so they can be yarded through the standing trees easier. Just one, and not too often. Most of the fallers are locals who have worked in thinnings and know their stuff. But once in a while...

We are now seeing some young guys and also some older ones who are used to dropping the trees down the hill in clearcuts, no bucking as there is a processor on the landing, and that's that. Just dump 'em.

Then the rigging crew has to deal with it the best they can. I get nervous when a faller appears on a sale and I don't know them...

This is the view of The Forester...ooooohweeeeoooooh.

Gee girls, I thot you'd all gotten over this.....long ago. Still wads your panties, huh ?:monkey:

Apologies, for you men's men thinking that I just slithered away with tail between the legs. Been on assignment, kinda like work ( work ? ) without the time to hemhorroid (where's the spellcheck when I need it ? :mad: )my way on the PC like the usual suspects of venom and danger-in-the-woods boys: gologit, hammer, Gary, blitzen, forestryworks, 2dogs, and other of the put-down PNW crowd. "We cut big timber. Our bars are longer than yours, you silly puny, non-pro":deadhorse:

Have you figured out what a Straw Dog is yet ? No ? Look it up. Thimk. All this assuming that someone dares to mention other ways to fell. Can you imagine ?

With this macho posturing let's do a little comparison: big timber only grows in your region. Smaller stuff in the rest of the world. Different techniques, shorter bars, same difficulty and danger IF it's done wrong. PNW weather to us is sissy stuff, warm and wet: no below zero, no heavy snow, no water holes under the ice or snow that gear falls into, no ice to deal with getting your harvest out to the roads. ( Look at the vids of the Pelletiers in northern Maine---my territory. None of this macho or "danger" fool stuff for them. It's a job. ) You want macho danger, let's talk cold and snow and ice ?

So, you need to build up your machismo with put downs of other skills, fine. It's a Straw Dog you set up; no real pros use any one technique only (except of course, those who can't/won't/don't have an open mind for any new skill :monkey: ). That's your trip. Sometimes we bore, sometimes undercuts, sometimes no open mouths, sometimes tiny bars for tiny trees under 16" DBH like much of northern Europe. It's the logger's skill using what works. GOL techniques work WHEN NEEDED.

Frankly, all of your posturing online is baby drool. :dizzy:

Flame away. Maybe I can get that spellcheck back to spell "hemmhorroid".:cry:

This thread is getting..................................................................................................
BORING.:spam:

Well I think that is what has been said all along. Different situations call for different skills, there is no one size fits all technique. Emotions have no place in the woods. Let's play nice here too.

I'm done with this thread.

I am not going to wade into this argument, but here is some good information from '96-'97: OSHA Office of Statistics - Logging Review Report

It looks like loggers in the southeast are killed more often than any other region, followed by the PNW. Proportional to the number of logging companies, there are more fatalities per company in the PNW than the SE.

I didn't read the whole thing so I can't say if they looked at different logging practices (harvester, chainsaw, etc.).

I am not going to wade into this argument, but here is some good information from '96-'97: OSHA Office of Statistics - Logging Review Report

It looks like loggers in the southeast are killed more often than any other region, followed by the PNW. Proportional to the number of logging companies, there are more fatalities per company in the PNW than the SE.

I didn't read the whole thing so I can't say if they looked at different logging practices (harvester, chainsaw, etc.).

I didn't read it either, but it's the steep, rough, broken-up ground out there that will get you.

There's only one false move.

I didn't read it either, but it's the steep, rough, broken-up ground out there that will get you.

There's only one false move.

I would agree with that. When I was out there in June, the logging terrain is pretty miserable but not all of it is really treacherous. I think the remoteness is more of a factor than anything else. If something happens, you will be waiting for a long time before someone gets there. Logging in Maine is very remote but most of it is done with harvesters now so it is presumably safer. In that report there was only one fatality in Maine.

One thing I found interesting from the link is that there is no significant difference between age. I would have thought there would be more younger people than middle aged.

There is no heavy snow.

There is no heavy snow.

There is no heavy snow.

White Pass Ski Area: Conditions

I was trying to post some pictures of the no heavy snow but I can't figure out the system. Oh well, since it doesn't exist....

I'm done now.

No heavy snow.....:agree2:
Harvesting in White Pass Ski Area ? Who knew ? How much ?

Slowp--you know damn well that most PNW logging is done well out of Sierra country. Especially these self-appointed "pros" knowing all about all. :angry2:

The man is correct that much, not most, harvesting in northern Maine is Timberjack mechanized. Though Not all by a long shot since many independents can't afford the $$$$ harvesters. And, it is safer with a harvester. :agree2: Our trees are small.

So you got me there along with the Donner Party. Bon apetit. :hmm3grin2orange:

Please, where is spellcheck ?:deadhorse:

No heavy snow.....:agree2:
Harvesting in White Pass Ski Area ? Who knew ? How much ?

Slowp--you know damn well that most PNW logging is done well out of Sierra country. Especially these self-appointed "pros" knowing all about all. :angry2:

The man is correct that much, not most, harvesting in northern Maine is Timberjack mechanized. Though Not all by a long shot since many independents can't afford the $$$$ harvesters. And, it is safer with a harvester. :agree2: Our trees are small.

So you got me there along with the Donner Party. Bon apetit. :hmm3grin2orange:

Please, where is spellcheck ?:deadhorse:
just can't let it go can ya.

Geography Lesson

White Pass, where I ski, is on highway 12 which is also called White Pass and is located in the CASCADE Mountain Range which bisects the States Of Warshington and Oregon. The land on the west side of the Cascades is wet. The land on the east side is dry. We get snow. The snow level is around 2500 feet for all winter. The elevation where I live gets some heavy dumps which usually melt in a week. We are supposed to get a big dump on Wednesday.
The east side is colder and the snow stays around. Look up the snow records for Paradise, Mt. Rainier. You will be surprised.

I have been snowed on every month of the year while in the Cascades.

There's a whole state and a half between here and Donnor Pass.

I'm done with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back