gas problems on a weedwacker

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewh

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know this is a chainsaw forum so forgive me.I do own an ms 440 great saw.I have a ryobi 725r 31 cc weedwacker that has been very reliable for the past 10 years.My problem is I replaced the diaphrams on its walbro carb because one was torn.I fueled it up and it ran like a charm,but the next day I looked at it and the gas tank was completely dry.why is it leaking gas,I put the gaskets and diaphrams back in the same order.I checked the needle and it still has the rubbery stuff near the tip.The spring and needle arm seem to be working fine ,no sticking.I think that I possibly could of reversed the order of the gaskets but can't find any info.thanks

I would check and double check your fuel lines going into your tank. Sometimes they crack and are very hard to see until you flex them a little.
Is it still running right and JUST leaking fuel when sitting?? Or is it not running right now?

My bet is on a cracked fuel line.

TFB

it is not running,couldn't get it started and yes it is leaking fuel could the needle be stuck open which I doubt,could it be a loose head bolt or just bad lines

could the needle be stuck open which I doubt

I even if your needle were stuck open, the carb is above the fuel tank, so more than likely thats not the problem.

could it be a loose head bolt
Negative on the head bolt... your weed eater doesn't have a head, being a 2-stroke.

or just bad lines

That's your ticket... more than likely, when you removed the fuel lines to get your carburetor off, they broke... Pretty easy fix, I think even Lowes carries fuel line repair kits for weed eaters and other outdoor power equipment.

Hope that helps a little, good luck with the repair!
TFB

Fuel tank is above the carb, it's one of the old IDC/RYAN based trimmers.

Diaphragm goes on top of the gasket on the metering side if the carb.

If in doubt, take it to a shop, ask for a kit to be installed...

Latest posts

Back