Generator/Welder vs. Portable Generator

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biglurr54

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I lost power the other day which means I lost heat and thats no good up here in the North East. I powered my OWB with my fathers old 4000 watt coleman powermate. It worked fine. So now I am in the market for a generator. The area I live in looses power all the time and when we loose it, its out for a while. I am looking to get one the can power my 3/4 hp jet pump and the fridge, lights, tv, and boiler. I have a limited budget right now as I have a bunch of my money tied up in chainsaws to keep the OWB happy. I calculated everything out for power consumption and added it all up the only problem is the drawing amp label on the jet pump lost the ink so I'm not sure how big of a generator I will need for that. i have two current options but Im open to any and all ideas.

1. I found a 2001 Miller Bobcat 250 welder/generator. It's forsale for $600 but the add states that it needs a new voltage regulator. That worries me. Im very mechanically inclined but i don't know much about generators. I know that is a very good deal and it would be a good generator and then I would have a welder around that would be helpful but i don't want to buy it and a voltage regulator and then keep chasing issues with it.

2. I have found a bunch of the box store Briggs and Stratton Storm responder's that are rated at 5500 running watts and 8250 starting. I think that should run my jet pump but I'm not sure. I can get one of these for about $400 up and running.

The miller would be a stretch for me to afford and then I would have to save up to get the voltage regulator later on down the road. I know this isn't a generator forum but im sure you guys must have experience with both portable gens and portable generators. What are the pros and cons of each. Take me to generator school please.

Thanks for the help!

That little 5500/8500 will handle all your small appliances. My guess is that the B&S generator gens a load of less than 50amps, so if that jet pump doesn't take more than 30amps at startup you should be okay with that one. Same with the boiler. My gen is over 10yrs old 6000/8000. It handles most appliances. Threw a breaker when I hooked my (50amp) clothes dryer to it.

The Jet pump is on a 20 amp 240 breaker so i believe the the briggs would power it with everything else isolated. The OWB and the circ pumps in the house total 500 watts. I was going to try to run it off an inverted hooked to car battery. I can't imagine that would last very long though.

0.75 (hp) * 746 (watts/hp) / 0.8 (efficiency) / 240 (volts) / 0.9 (power factor) = 3.2 (running amps).
Starting amps can be up to 5 times the running amps. 3.2 (running amps) * 5 = 16 (starting amps).
3.2 (running amps) * 240 (volts) = 768 (va).
16 (starting amps) * 240 (volts) = 3840 (starting va).

Steer clear of the bs storm responders. Read up on the feedback on the out there they are a real piece of poop. Try to find an american made generac or a full fledged honda with a 30 amp plug 6500-8000 running watts.

I will be specifically be looking for a welder/generator unit. These things are designed to run 40 hours a week for years on end. 8000 amps and the ability to weld are hard to beat for the situation I'm in.

There is no doubt that the welder/generator is built compared to the box store gennie units. Good luck which ever way you go, Let me know if you pass up that Bobcat......

I would be more apt to buy the bobcat I have seen and welded with many over 3000 hours and still working. Trying to find a residential generator with over 200 hours on it. I have a miller big blue 300 welding machine and it has over 2300 hours on it and works geat I also have a contractor generac xp8000 and it has just over 150 hours on it. If you can afford a nice bobcat, trailblazer, ranger etc I would buy it if not I would get a contractor generator and skip the throwaway box store junk.

I run a trailblazer 302. Its one step up from the bobcat your looking at. I'd be careful about buying one of these machines that is broken. The parts are not terribly cheap, and most of the time it takes a Miller shop to deal with them. If I were you I'd take the machine to an authorized repair center to confirm what the seller is stating is true. I'd also make sure the welder side of the generator is working as well. Again the Miller service guys will be able to help you with that. I also have a Briggs powered Generac, and I by far prefer my miller for generator duties.

Although the smaller genny might be immediately more affordable, its more on the side of a band aide. Twice in the last year we have been without power for nearly a week. After the first instance, I got smart. Bought a military surplus mep-003. After Sandy hit, we were in good shape. The point here is you get what you pay for. My neighbor was constantly fiddling with his...and trying to keep it fueled. My diesel chugged along sipping fuel from the external tank.

Latest posts

Back