Got my fiirst Echo saw last night

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up this Echo CS400 last night. Started in 1 pull. This is my first Echo saw, so I have some exploring to do. First impression, it looks well made. Has an 18" bar that I will probably bump down to a 16 or 14. Is there a 3/8 pitch drum to put on this saw? Bar pattern is a normal Poulan correct? Thanks guys
0304170731.jpg 0304170731a.jpg

echos make some great saws-- i have heard great things from the MM and re-tuned 400s--

if they run like this 450P that i modded long ago-- it will be a great runner--

don't know about the bigger rim-- most likely there is one -- generally i stick to .325 on the smaller saws anyways--

Well, let me take my foot out of my mouth. Yes it does have a 3/8 lp on it. What ever I read online was wrong. You have to be careful posting before your 1st cup of coffee. The bar pattern is a Poulan pattern though right? If so I have a brand new Oregon bar and tri- link chain for it.

I like the design of the CS400, it looks to be a nice saw. As a weirdo who likes clamshells I think the design is well done. I believe it has quad (open) transfers, a chrome plated bore, and the bolts to hold the clam together are separate from those to hold the engine in the chassis. You should be able to get good power out of it. I'd like to know the port timing and squish clearance on one of those, as well as to see the combustion chamber.

I've considered getting one but compared to the Poulans I play with they cost more and there are very few parts available on eBay.

I have a new Poulan 14" bar and chain combo, but it is the "color match" bar. Black with green "Poulan" on it. I can't bring myself to put that one on it.
I have a Craftsman bar on my Echo 330T--it still runs!! Free = $0!!

Well I have explored the saw a bit more. It would run but the carb floods pretty bad. Not a big deal as I planned on giving it a thorough cleaning and build the carb anyway. Piston has a very faint line on it that may be some very light scoring. It can't even be felt though and doesn't even pass through the ring. I will just run it and keep an eye on it for now. Its cleaning up real nice and I hope to cut with it this weekend.

I like the design of the CS400, it looks to be a nice saw. As a weirdo who likes clamshells I think the design is well done. I believe it has quad (open) transfers, a chrome plated bore, and the bolts to hold the clam together are separate from those to hold the engine in the chassis. You should be able to get good power out of it. I'd like to know the port timing and squish clearance on one of those, as well as to see the combustion chamber.

I've considered getting one but compared to the Poulans I play with they cost more and there are very few parts available on eBay.

It has closed transfers as every Echo that I've had apart has had resulting in good power per cc, I have nothing against clamshell engines either so long as they're built good. Keep that 3/8 lp chain on it as they cut good and stay sharp. Steve

I have one. It's nice that there are dealers all over the place.
Outboard Clutch -1
Air Filter +1

Back